By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVita launch week sales:321k

benao87 said:
theprof00 said:

You're limiting yourself if you don't think call of duty will sell consoles.

Unique games are not the real system sellers. Big superficial clones and brands are what sell,

and what with the connectivity and remote play, gamers will be able to play call of duty when dad is watching the game. Vita and ps3 have a connectivity on a similar level as what wiiU is supposed to have. Granted, vita doesn't have it yet, but it's more than capable.

Furthermore, disidea and monster hunter are not system movers, sure they sell games, but someone who is into monster hunter already buys a system for it.
Look at the sales, the highest selling psp game is GTA, a game that is available on consoles. next highest is monster hunter unite, then another gta, then monster hunter 3, a game available on the wii.

Then a long list of games that are either ports or multiplatforms, or spinoffs of games available on consoles.

I know three people, Marvel/Capcom addicts, who want to buy a Vita JUST for MvC:Ultimate to play on the bus, or when someone else is playing on the tv.
A call of duty game on psp sold better than littlebigplanet. A call of duty game is the 16th best selling game on the system...a system with one analog. Why do people buy call of duty 5 times, already? Every version is the same thing, and they come out nearly every year. To add onto that point, you can play CoD on your vita using remote play, you don't need to buy it twice. You buy a vita for the games that are on it, in addition to all those ps2/1 games you've downloaded, and to play your ps3 when you don't have access to the tv. You can even do remote play over internet, so you could go to university, leave your ps3 on at home, and play your ps3 over your university's wifi network...on your vita.

Your thought process is mostly logical though, so I can't really fault you for it. Unique games BECOME big games. Everything was once a unique game, even pokemon. But the problem is that the success rate of unique games is far lower than you think. There are lots of great unique games that never really hit the mark. Little King's Story, Odin Sphere, Valyria Chronicles, Suikoden series, Folklore, Earth Defense Force. For every big successful unique game there are a ten others that simply never make it due to competition, a hundred others that never make it because they're too niche, and a thousand others that never even get the recognition they deserve.

I mean, even as you noted yourself that they need disidea and monster hunter. Those aren't unique games anymore. They are big franchises.

This are the sales of the week where MH3P was released http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40517/Japan/ There is a 300%+ increase in HW sales, with no other major relase on the PSP one can only wonder.

I may be wrong about the second bold, but they are quite different games. I don't think that people would've stopped buying the PSP version if they already had the Wii version.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but a 300% increase in Japan is like a 5% increase overall. It's not a big deal.

The second bold was targeted at his question "why buy the same game twice". It was just an example, a little of a context perhaps, showing that the same game sells on a portable as on the home console. It's not necessarily that people buy it twice, but that a market exists on the portable is undeniable.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Tridrakious said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Tridrakious said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Just a correction. The PS2 sold 980,000 in its first two days on sales back on March 4th to 5th 2000.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/february04/PS2timeline/index2.shtml

I was going off Vgchartz numbers, which I'm guessing covers one day instead of two. Either way, it had incredible launch numbers in what is normally a slow sales period.

I apologize for jumping into the conversation. I just wanted to make sure everything was known.

Hey, no problem. Do you know if the PS2 had the largest launch of all time in Japan, or was that the GBA?

The closest I could find (wanted to make sure I knew before saying something) is that it sold 1.6 million in 5 weeks in Japan alone and generated roughly $45 million for Nintendo.

The 600,000 number was correct for day 1. The PS2 had sold over 1 million units in 10 days.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Biggest_game_system_launches

This site seems to contradict (or at least make things hazy on PS2 performance) GameSpy's numbers however.

http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215186p1.html

320k is for the first 2 days of launch.

That's double the PSP debut sales and almost 4x the PS3.
Impressive.

VGKing said:
Impressive.

Well to be fair, PSP only had 1 day sales vs 2 day sales that that the 3DS and PSvita had. 

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
Blacksaber said:
Tridrakious said:
Isn't Monster Hunter 3DS just a port of a port?

Wouldn't a brand new Monster Hunter for Vita make much more of an impact than that?

And they are getting MH4....

I forgot about Monster Hunter 4. I wonder how much Nintendo spent to get Monster Hunter?

Why do people assume that if a company gets a certain game that it paid the publsiher? MH wasn't available on the DS because the DS was underpowered but now the 3DS is capable of producing adequate graphics under a more powerful handheld. Last time I heard MH4 wasn't EXCLUSIVE which means the Vita will get it later on the road...

dany612 said:
Tridrakious said:
Blacksaber said:
Tridrakious said:
Isn't Monster Hunter 3DS just a port of a port?

Wouldn't a brand new Monster Hunter for Vita make much more of an impact than that?

And they are getting MH4....

I forgot about Monster Hunter 4. I wonder how much Nintendo spent to get Monster Hunter?

Why do people assume that if a company gets a certain game that it paid the publsiher? MH wasn't available on the DS because the DS was underpowered but now the 3DS is capable of producing adequate graphics under a more powerful handheld. Last time I heard MH4 wasn't EXCLUSIVE which means the Vita will get it later on the road...

Because that is what happens.

The 3DS needs megaton games. Monster Hunter has been a huge BOOM for PSP. The fact that the Vita is better equipped for a game like Monster Hunter, it suddenly jumps to the 3DS. 

Exclusives jumping to exclusive status on another system means the company got paid.

Acevil said:
VGKing said:
Impressive.

Well to be fair, PSP only had 1 day sales vs 2 day sales that that the 3DS and PSvita had. 

Still impressive :D

What about  the PS3 week 1? How many days were counted?

VGKing said:
Acevil said:
VGKing said:
Impressive.

Still impressive :D

What about  the PS3 week 1? How many days were counted?

Probably one or two days as well. The PS3 was heavily(!) supply constrained, though. Even the original Xbox opened higher. The PSP was supply constrained as well if I remember correctly.

The numbers are still decent. Neither extremely high nor worryingly low.

Acevil said:
VGKing said:
Impressive.

Just for my own understanding, where does it say that psp had only one, or that the reported number was for only one day?

It seems odd that famitsu would say that the vita opening beat the psp opening by double, if in fact it was simlpy because it was 2 days vs 1.