By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVita launch week sales:321k

theprof00 said:
smbu2000 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
smbu2000 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Anyway, The Wi Fi version is sold out so This is really bad! Bomb I tell you! Bomba I tell you!

I saw the wifi version in stock yesterday (Monday, day 3 of Vita sales) when I went to check out some stores in my city.

I was thinking about trading in my psp and getting a wifi vita. Still unsure about it though.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/PlayStation-%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3-Wi%E2%80%90Fi%E3%83%A2%E3%83%87%E3%83%AB-%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BB%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF-PCH-1000/dp/B005UKHQCA/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_2280006051_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=107593209&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2280006051&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=0Y5FQSTM1AKY312XC6PZ

I know it's only Amazon. XD

Yeah, I know, but I'm talking about actual Electronic/Game stores that also sell online. Like:

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4948872412841

http://www.sofmap.com/product_detail/exec/_/sku=11721288/-/gid=GF12010000

http://tinyurl.com/3dhceaz

The first two, I was in their B&M stores as well yesterday.

Anyway, since I was mainly planning on using the Vita for videos and stuff like that(not games) I decided to buy a used Ipad 1 instead. I got a used 64gb ipad wifi/3g model for less than the price of a wifi Vita and 16gb sony card, or about the same price as the 3g Vita with no memory card. I still might sell my PSP though, depends on if I get a psp game for christmas or not.

I was planning on buying a vita just to use as a paperweight, but then I went outside, picked up a rock and glued a feather to it and it works just as well.

Seriously, why would you even think of buying a vita just for videos? That's like people buying an iphone just for angry birds.

People might actually buy an iphone just for a couple crappy games like angry birds.

The iphone isn't the best phone in regards to service.  Or at least it wasn't when only AT&T.  Then not to mention that whole antenna problem with havng your hand on the side. 

But you bring up the biggest POTENTIAL problem of the Vita, something the PSP suffered from forever.  And that is games.  I see in this topic many brought up Call of Duy.  Ha, first how has call of duty done in past on handhelds?  Second, why would someone get call of duty twice.  IF they already have the game on ps3 or 360, why get it on vita as well.   If Vita doesn't get a good catelog of UNIQUE games, they are in a world of hurt. 

What do they have worth getting right now?  Uncharted.  Is that it? 

From what I saw with PSP, the big system movers seemed to be Final Fantasy Disdea and Monster Hunter.  When or if any of those get announced, then will we see if Vita suceeds.  Everyones phone these days has 3G at minimum and can play videos, do crap load of media shit and even to an extenet play games.  Personally I can't stand to play any kind of traditional game on my phone, but some people seem to like it.  So would I ever get vita for its multimedia features?  Hell no.  Jus tlike the person you quoted, I would get the much better alternatives.  a BIGGER tablet, or else for portability a SMALLER phone.

Now as you said Vita is about GAMES.  Then bring on the games.  Dont' talk about games, when there are none.  3DS struggled cause of no games, now it rocking them and bringing out more and more all the time.  And you see its doing good.  I bet the 3DS isnt selling cause it now records 3D videos.  No its selling cause of mario 3d Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, ect.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
It isn't the Japanese launch that matters, it will do very well there (though this isn't a very exciting launch), weekly sales numbers in Europe and the US a couple of months after launch will tell us how this will pan out.

Japan was Sony's stronghold with the PSP, the numbers there do of course matter.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Expected more, but it'll get there nonetheless.

irstupid said:

People might actually buy an iphone just for a couple crappy games like angry birds.

The iphone isn't the best phone in regards to service.  Or at least it wasn't when only AT&T.  Then not to mention that whole antenna problem with havng your hand on the side. 

But you bring up the biggest POTENTIAL problem of the Vita, something the PSP suffered from forever.  And that is games.  I see in this topic many brought up Call of Duy.  Ha, first how has call of duty done in past on handhelds?  Second, why would someone get call of duty twice.  IF they already have the game on ps3 or 360, why get it on vita as well.   If Vita doesn't get a good catelog of UNIQUE games, they are in a world of hurt. 

What do they have worth getting right now?  Uncharted.  Is that it? 

From what I saw with PSP, the big system movers seemed to be Final Fantasy Disdea and Monster Hunter.  When or if any of those get announced, then will we see if Vita suceeds.  Everyones phone these days has 3G at minimum and can play videos, do crap load of media shit and even to an extenet play games.  Personally I can't stand to play any kind of traditional game on my phone, but some people seem to like it.  So would I ever get vita for its multimedia features?  Hell no.  Jus tlike the person you quoted, I would get the much better alternatives.  a BIGGER tablet, or else for portability a SMALLER phone.

Now as you said Vita is about GAMES.  Then bring on the games.  Dont' talk about games, when there are none.  3DS struggled cause of no games, now it rocking them and bringing out more and more all the time.  And you see its doing good.  I bet the 3DS isnt selling cause it now records 3D videos.  No its selling cause of mario 3d Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, ect.

You're limiting yourself if you don't think call of duty will sell consoles.

Unique games are not the real system sellers. Big superficial clones and brands are what sell,

and what with the connectivity and remote play, gamers will be able to play call of duty when dad is watching the game. Vita and ps3 have a connectivity on a similar level as what wiiU is supposed to have. Granted, vita doesn't have it yet, but it's more than capable.

Furthermore, disidea and monster hunter are not system movers, sure they sell games, but someone who is into monster hunter already buys a system for it.
Look at the sales, the highest selling psp game is GTA, a game that is available on consoles. next highest is monster hunter unite, then another gta, then monster hunter 3, a game available on the wii.

Then a long list of games that are either ports or multiplatforms, or spinoffs of games available on consoles.

I know three people, Marvel/Capcom addicts, who want to buy a Vita JUST for MvC:Ultimate to play on the bus, or when someone else is playing on the tv.
A call of duty game on psp sold better than littlebigplanet. A call of duty game is the 16th best selling game on the system...a system with one analog. Why do people buy call of duty 5 times, already? Every version is the same thing, and they come out nearly every year. To add onto that point, you can play CoD on your vita using remote play, you don't need to buy it twice. You buy a vita for the games that are on it, in addition to all those ps2/1 games you've downloaded, and to play your ps3 when you don't have access to the tv. You can even do remote play over internet, so you could go to university, leave your ps3 on at home, and play your ps3 over your university's wifi network...on your vita.

Your thought process is mostly logical though, so I can't really fault you for it. Unique games BECOME big games. Everything was once a unique game, even pokemon. But the problem is that the success rate of unique games is far lower than you think. There are lots of great unique games that never really hit the mark. Little King's Story, Odin Sphere, Valyria Chronicles, Suikoden series, Folklore, Earth Defense Force. For every big successful unique game there are a ten others that simply never make it due to competition, a hundred others that never make it because they're too niche, and a thousand others that never even get the recognition they deserve.

I mean, even as you noted yourself that they need disidea and monster hunter. Those aren't unique games anymore. They are big franchises.

Isn't Monster Hunter 3DS just a port of a port?

Wouldn't a brand new Monster Hunter for Vita make much more of an impact than that?

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
I can't believe some people are seriously saying that these are bad numbers. Yes less than 3DS launch but did you know that 3DS is successor to the best selling console ever in Japan? These are good launch numbers.

I think this is what a lot of people are forgetting. It's also worth noting that the 3DS launched with a Layton game, whereas the Vita's biggest title in Japan is Hot Shots Golf. Ultimately, we'll have to see how the Vita's sales pan out over the next year or so. I think Sony really designed the Vita to be relevant over the next decade even if it's not a big seller initially. Still, it would have been nice to have Monster Hunter as a launch title.

MontanaHatchet said:
KillerMan said:
I can't believe some people are seriously saying that these are bad numbers. Yes less than 3DS launch but did you know that 3DS is successor to the best selling console ever in Japan? These are good launch numbers.

I think this is what a lot of people are forgetting. It's also worth noting that the 3DS launched with a Layton game, whereas the Vita's biggest title in Japan is Hot Shots Golf. Ultimately, we'll have to see how the Vita's sales pan out over the next year or so. I think Sony really designed the Vita to be relevant over the next decade even if it's not a big seller initially. Still, it would have been nice to have Monster Hunter as a launch title.

However the time of the year is another factor. 3DS did launch in Feburary which is typically not that great for sales, while Vita launched in the shopping season in Japan. I am not saying these are bad numbers or 3DS did bad, I am saying that if you compare two, you should account all other important factors.  

Tridrakious said:

Wouldn't a brand new Monster Hunter for Vita make much more of an impact than that?

And they are getting MH4....

Former something....

Tridrakious said:

3G is an expansion of Tri.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Acevil said:
MontanaHatchet said:
KillerMan said:

However the time of the year is another factor. 3DS did launch in Feburary which is typically not that great for sales, while Vita launched in the shopping season in Japan. I am not saying these are bad numbers or 3DS did bad, I am saying that if you compare two, you should account all other important factors.  

I don't think launching in the holiday season is necessarily a benefit. I'm not sure which system had the largest launch ever, but the GBA had a massive launch (721,000) in Japan in March 2001. The PS2 sold 595k (almost 600k!) in March 2000. It may not be a definite trend, but it seems like the more successful systems have launched in Q1. For comparison, the Wii launched to about 400k in November of 2006.