By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think FPS are better with Wiimote/Move?

Because it comes closer to the mouse controller.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:

Ok this is a question that I've had for a while now. I've been hearing a lot of people say the Wiimote+Nunchuck is a better setup to play FPS than a controller. I personally disagree.

I own both the Wii and 360. I play or have played FPS on both COD/BF/Halo, etc, etc on 360 and Conduit/Goldeneye, etc on the Wii.

When you play with a controller, you can precisely control exactly where your crosshairs are going to be and when you ADS, your ironsights stay exactly where you ADSed give or take the natural idle sway of the gun. When you ADS on the Wii, the iron sights go all over the place because your hands are constantly moving (no one can keep their hands perfectly still in midair). This is terrible because when you shoot, there's already recoil/idle sway that you have to deal with, but now you have this added inaccuracy of having to try and keep your hands still. Online, it seems you can only spray and pray with your gun.

While I understand you can quickly aim at your target with the Wiimote, what good does it do if you can barely even keep your ironsights steady at the guy while he's moving and not perform a dance show with your reticle on screen (just watch a few youtube videos of MW3 on Wii)? Also with the controller, you can just adjust your sensitivity to acquire targets quicker. Its really hard to play any FPS online with the Wiimote seriously because of this, you end up just going back to classic controller.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Maybe I'm missing some insight on the matter. I know btw that the Wiimote is more "realistic", but I'm personally talking about whats more effective, which is what ends up being more fun for me.

First, you tested pointer controls on the wrong games. Conduit 1/2 controls took me a good amount of customization before even "feeling right" and the goldeneye ones feel "stiff" and less responsitive than other wii fps. You should try one of the Wii CoDs and/or Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy.

I personally prefeare pointer controls because they are more natural and quick. shaky hands can be a problem only if you are untrained. after a few hours with them you'll never want to go back, it's a pretty good sensation to point your arm to someone and kill him right away. Oh and BTW pointer controls allow you to play better: i tested this multiple times with my friends on goldeneye (even if it's not the best game for pointer controls): everytime someone with wiimote/nunchuck battles someone with dual analog, he DESTROYS his opponent.

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

Move + Killzone 3 was outstanding, one of the highlights of the game for me.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

It's easier to control and is far more accurate. It's as simple as that.

VGChartz

Galaki said:
Wiimote/Move has no aim-assist. You're just a pretend hardcore using dual analog since the game aims for you half the time.

I always turn auto-aim off when the game allows me to and I'm far more precise than any motion FPS I've ever played.

Wiimote is just too shaky, dual analog is the way to go (if you don't play on PC).

Haven't tried Move yet, but I'd guess it's similar to Wiimote.

Around the Network

Well first wii remote gameI played was red steel. I don't knwo if this was a good pre training as the controlsin that are bad and made you learn todeal with it.

Overall, i think wii mote is fantastic. RE4 is a prime example. The cod games on Wii, you can use the z button on nun chuck to auto lock onto people when in sight moe.

In general when I rest my arm on my leg it is very stable. takes me about 5mins to warm up.

As for move, apart from the annoying big glowing ball on the end, it is pretty accurate to.

Barozi said:
Galaki said:
Wiimote/Move has no aim-assist. You're just a pretend hardcore using dual analog since the game aims for you half the time.

I always turn auto-aim off when the game allows me to and I'm far more precise than any motion FPS I've ever played.

Wiimote is just too shaky, dual analog is the way to go (if you don't play on PC).

Sounds like your thumbs are just more steady than your hands.

Galaki said:
Barozi said:
Galaki said:

Sounds like your thumbs are just more steady than your hands.

Which is nothing special for a human being as everyone is more steady with their thumbs.

I find them a mixed bag. I've only really played Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil 4 with the wii-mote and Killzone 3 with the move. That said I found only Metroid Prime 3 had the perfect bounding box for aiming and rotating the camera. Killzone 3 was fun with the sharpshooter as it gave me a better sense for using a gun (like if I was trying to aim to the right I'd have to rotate my body as opposed to aiming left). But I found analogue sticks more percise in Killzone 3 (though sharpshooter was more fun).

Wiimote (with motion+) is lovely for turning. Zangeki no Reginleiv is testament to this. It's like having three hands!

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3