By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think FPS are better with Wiimote/Move?

Mummelmann said:
OP: Probably because they don't play games on PC and think that analogue sticks are the best and only alternative... Wii-mote and Move are probably better than analogue sticks for FPS games but still miles behind the ancient keyboard + mouse combo.

Precision: Mouse >>> Pointer

Immersion: Pointer >>> Mouse

Around the Network

Because I haven't found a first person game on console with better controls than Metroid Prime Trilogy. I bet the Move is just as accurate.

I have a hard time going back to a regular controller after using the wiimote. A good example is Resident Evil 4. Shooting enemies by pointing gives it more of a real feeling of aiming... rather than using two joystick to align vertical and horizontal aiming to shoot your enemy. It also has the B button positioned to be used as your "trigger finger!"

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

A lot of people prefer Dual Analogue over Mouse & Keyboard, and with that in mind I don't see what's so weird about people prefering Pointer controls over Dual Analogue. It's a matter of taste.
Personally I prefer both M&K and Wiimote&Nunchuck over DA by a mile as the precision is so much better.

UltimateUnknown said:

@Baroai @Kyliedog Yes both of you illustrate my point.

Btw guys I wasn't talking about single player mainly, but more about multiplayer (where there's no aim assist). Let me illustrate my point with some video evidence. Here's a video of one of the best Wii COD players I know of playing MW3 on Wii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asFsZvr9TuE&feature=channel_video_title

As you can see and if you listen to him, with the Wiimote you can only hope to hipfire (spray and pray) to effectively take someone out in close range, while long range ADSing is almost impossible. But even hip-firing he's wasting a lot of bullets as his cross-hairs are moving all over the place. Now look at this guy playing MW3 multiplayer on 360 using normal controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZMwjf5zZE&feature=channel_video_title

I chose this video intentionally as it has a good amount of Hip-firing and ADSing. As you can see clearly ADSing with controllers is smooth without any involuntary movements and even when you are hipfiring, your crosshairs stay exactly where you are pointing which makes it much easier to actually hit a guy (god forbid using a shotgun using a Wiimote).

Now both of these guys are pretty skilled and serious gamers, so its strict tactical multiplayer gameplay which I am talking about. A lot of you seem to be saying that you can aim at targets quicker with MC, but you can do so with controllers as well with 10 sensitivity if you can handle it and what good is aiming quicker if you can't be steady with your aiming? Do you really think the first guy could ever replicate the second's efficiency with his given control scheme?

I think your first video proves that the Wii configuration IS better.  Yeah, he misses a few shots but goddam, does he get back on point, quickly.  AND, he's not aiming down the sites.  He's shooting from the hip.  He specifically says that the Wii Remote is so accurate that he can fine tune his shooting precision by making small movements.  For that reason, he maintains his full mobility, full field of vision, and his accuracy. 

I use handguns and rifles all of the time.  I go through serious training four times a year.  I also have to perform using special modified weapons vs. another team four times a year (called Force on Force drills).  As a result, I get to deal with various instructors.  I'm trained for combat (as well as being former military and an ex-cop with 7 years under my belt).  My instructors have said time and time again that it's not about who can get the most accurate shot.  It's about who can get a good shot off, first.  If there's a Wii configuration that uses the Classic Controller or a PS3 configration that uses the Move, I would bet my dinner that a great MC gamer would totally destroy a great Controller player 9/10.  They're just too precise.   While the controller user is trying to get on target or aim down the sites, the MC user is just shooting from the hip with blinding speed and wearing them out!

Around the Network

My opinion: 1. Mouse. 2. Wiimote 3. Basic controller
Imho

Protecting Natalya near the end of goldeneye With wiimote awesome

I am going to go with motion controls being better than dual analog. I've probably stated this 100+ times already on this site so I won't dwell too much into it. Anyways, motion controls has allowed me to be in the top 150 all time in CoD:BO (Wii) for HCTDM and HCHQ.

Keyboard + Mouse > Wii Remote and Nunchuk > Dual Analog ( I have not tried a FPS with PS Move)

Aiming is woefully slow compared to the others with an analog stick. I don't know how anyone could argue against this. Try playing GoldenEye on the Wii using both methods without your I've played FPS games forever with dual analog bias and get back to me on that.

I know that a mouse is the most precise, but I prefer picking out things and shooting them with a Wii Remote since I find it to be more fun.

SO why do people think that a Wii Remote is better than an analog stick for aiming? Well..er... because it is.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Kylie Dog raises a good point with the movement. Very few of the motion control methods (if any) have nailed the movement aspect. Precision aiming however is why people probably prefer the Wii-mote. If you rest the controller on your leg and only use it to pop out and shoot from cover then it's great, but trying to move around large areas whilst shooting precisely is a whole different ball-game.

I'd argue that some may prefer the Motion control setup because it requires a whole new level of skill to pull off and aids immersion. I'll stick to keyboard and mouse myself.