By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - XenoBlade coming to US! =D ...... Gamestop exclusive....

Oh man, I was enjoying this European renaissance! :P

But seriously finally!

And I really should get this game! :P

Around the Network

I wonder just how much this will sell in America now.

Carl2291 said:

Considering this is likely a game of limited appeal, sales lost to European imports are likely just that: meaning at the end of the day European numbers will be just that much slightly higher than they nominally would have been had Nintendo played this right, and American numbers slightly lower

Though i'll grant Gamestop exclusivity makes it sound like a hyper-limited run...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

It probably will come to Canada too. If not I can always pre-order on GameStop.

Finally.... but damn Arpil 3rd? right before my exams? sucks.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Carl2291 said:

My guess?

50-70k FW

200-250k LT

So just over 500k LT, around 550k from all territories.

However, with the Gamestop exclusivity, it means it'll be REAL limited, so probably half that overall.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Its on my list of games to buy, almost got it with Zelda.

Ill pick it up eventually!

Hey this is great news for those who have been wanting to buy and play this game. Unfortunately, it's only exclusive to one store chain but at least it's better than nothing. As for me, I won't be playing it but like I said it's great news for those who will be !

Joelcool7 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Conegamer said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
Unless gamestop "fund" the exclusivity? Can you even do that as a retailer?

Back in the 64 days they had some games only made as rentals so i do not see why this would not work. Gamestop can just go off pre orders. Then maybe order a few extra per store. if it sells well i am sure Nintendo would do more.

During the GameCube their were a ton of retailer specific timed exclusives. I remember BlockBuster in the states getting StarFox:Assualt two weeks before launch day. I had to travel to the US to buy the thing because BlockBuster Canada didn't have it in advance. FutureShop in Canada also got BattalionWars exclusively for a timed exclusive I think a week or so.

I don't think I recall a permanent retailer exclusive however so this would be a first from what I know. Actually in Japan I could have sworn their was a retailer exclusive, but can't recall which title or retailer.

Now I get to say I told you so in my thread defending Reggie and in other threads about Operation Rainfall I clearly said he never said the game was not coming. I suggested the title or titles could be coming in 2012. Reggie said big games were still coming for Wii next year and those titles would make perfect sense.

Turns out I was right and Nintendo is bringing Xenoblade, not sure about the other two. But all you whining fanatics better purchase this thing. It better not be like Conduit and have sales not live up to the hype. If this title fails to reach 200K then it is a failure and Nintendo will be a lot less likely to bring the other two.

As for the exclusive run having very few copies. If Nintendo has a deal with GameStop and if it is exclusive then they do. Then Nintendo will provide GameStop with the copies they require. It wouldn't do GameStop much good to have an exclusive product on their shelves if after two prints Nintendo stops supplying them.

I think a ton of you owe Nintendo and more importantly Reggie an apology. This move goes against standard Nintendo policy and shows Nintendo is still willing to take risks if their fans want the product. Don't let Nintendo regret this risk!

We get that he never said the game was not coming, but why the cloak and dagger?? The secrecy?? whats the f***ing point?? Just give people straight answers, the customers deserve them, no one else is doing this shite. 

Conduit?? you really gotta let that game go, It didnt live up to the hype because the GAME didnt live up to the hype, it was a mediocore offering at best. You were better off getting any other FPS for another system or hell just get COD for WIi, even a gimped version was better than that. NOT COD3 though. Or just get any of the far better FPSs for GC. THe game was selling intially but it stopped, why is that?? Because people wised up and realized it was not all that. If you thought it was the bee's knees I assure you you were one of the few.

I hope you're right about the GS thing,i really do. And no I still think Reggie is a blowhard I always thought that, way before the OP Rainfall thing and it became cool to hate on him, ill just ease up a bit and check this off of my list of things i dont like from him. Risk?? Come on man, they are sending this game to ONE chain store, how the hell is that a risk. A risk is sending it everywhere with a huge marketing campaign. What Sega did was a risk, spending all that money on some amateur devs to make an FPS for WIi, thats risky buisness!!!

oniyide said:
Joelcool7 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Conegamer said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
Unless gamestop "fund" the exclusivity? Can you even do that as a retailer?

Back in the 64 days they had some games only made as rentals so i do not see why this would not work. Gamestop can just go off pre orders. Then maybe order a few extra per store. if it sells well i am sure Nintendo would do more.

During the GameCube their were a ton of retailer specific timed exclusives. I remember BlockBuster in the states getting StarFox:Assualt two weeks before launch day. I had to travel to the US to buy the thing because BlockBuster Canada didn't have it in advance. FutureShop in Canada also got BattalionWars exclusively for a timed exclusive I think a week or so.

I don't think I recall a permanent retailer exclusive however so this would be a first from what I know. Actually in Japan I could have sworn their was a retailer exclusive, but can't recall which title or retailer.

Now I get to say I told you so in my thread defending Reggie and in other threads about Operation Rainfall I clearly said he never said the game was not coming. I suggested the title or titles could be coming in 2012. Reggie said big games were still coming for Wii next year and those titles would make perfect sense.

Turns out I was right and Nintendo is bringing Xenoblade, not sure about the other two. But all you whining fanatics better purchase this thing. It better not be like Conduit and have sales not live up to the hype. If this title fails to reach 200K then it is a failure and Nintendo will be a lot less likely to bring the other two.

As for the exclusive run having very few copies. If Nintendo has a deal with GameStop and if it is exclusive then they do. Then Nintendo will provide GameStop with the copies they require. It wouldn't do GameStop much good to have an exclusive product on their shelves if after two prints Nintendo stops supplying them.

I think a ton of you owe Nintendo and more importantly Reggie an apology. This move goes against standard Nintendo policy and shows Nintendo is still willing to take risks if their fans want the product. Don't let Nintendo regret this risk!

I hope you're right about the GS thing,i really do. And no I still think Reggie is a blowhard I always thought that, way before the OP Rainfall thing and it became cool to hate on him, ill just ease up a bit and check this off of my list of things i dont like from him. Risk?? Come on man, they are sending this game to ONE chain store, how the hell is that a risk. A risk is sending it everywhere with a huge marketing campaign. What Sega did was a risk, spending all that money on some amateur devs to make an FPS for WIi, thats risky buisness!!!

Well firstly I really don't think Nintendo had made a decision up until this announcement. If Reggie had said the games weren't coming then Nintendo changed their minds the world would be more pissed then they are now. If Reggie said the game was coming then it bottomed out in Europe and looked like a complete disaster then again they would look horrible when they cancel it.

Reggie's failure to clarify was a diplomatic move, Nintendo didn't want to commit to either bringing or not bringing the title till they were sure whether or not it could be a success. In this case I think Reggie and Nintendo themselves made the very best decision and they went about it as good as they possibly could.

As for the risk, yes it is diminished Nintendo Of America didn't spend a crap load localizing it since a lot of it was already done by NOE. They also aren't spending a huge amount on advertising and marketing. But it is still a risk, firstly I am guessing that they promised GameStop a certain amount of support meaning they are locked in and need to provide the game to the store. GameStop probably had some conditions in the deal which Nintendo needed to accept to make the game possible. If the game bombs will GameStop sign future agreements to help bring games over?

Essentially Nintendo is reducing risk as much as possible. But their are still risks involved it costs money to localize a game, from the development costs (Which are low) to manufacturing and distributing. Also if the title is launching in all of NA, they need to deal with Government's and all kinds of crap to get the game on store shelves.

Basically Nintendo is reducing the risks as much as possible. But any time you localize a game it is a risk, though in this case I cannot see how Nintendo's risk won't pay off. If even have the whining gamers go out and buy this game from GameStop the risk will pay off, though I think a full localization of the game and full ad campaign etc...etc.. would have been a very very very large risk.

If Last Story and Pandora's Tower both get localized by NOE, then similar lower risk deals could follow. But NOA shouldering the entire localization and it being in all retailers and such. The risk is just so big, yes it could pay off but it could also be disasterous. If XenoBlade sells very well don't count anything out!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Conegamer said:
Carl2291 said:

My guess?

50-70k FW

200-250k LT

So just over 500k LT, around 550k from all territories.

However, with the Gamestop exclusivity, it means it'll be REAL limited, so probably half that overall.

Actually Gamestop exclusivity could help boost sales. Joelcool pointed out that many Nintendo exclusives had retail exclusivity on Gamecube and still sold really well. Well Gamestop is one of the biggest retailers for video games, if not the biggest, and if they have giant cardboard cutouts of this game in from of all retailers in spring, well a lot of Wii owners who are more casual gamers, or don't play JRPG's might actually pick this up.

I think this game will break 500k for Americas because of the Gamestop exclusivity. I mean Fire Emblem Wii sold 220k in Americas, and only 170k in Japan (similar to the 160k XenoBlade is at in Japan), and that wasn't even localized by Nintendo.

I hope WW sales eventually break 1 million. Doubt it will happen, Euro sales aren't great, but I'm hopeful, Americas is Wii's largest market.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results