By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Smash Bros. competitor all but confirmed, test images revealed

Torillian said:
miz1q2w3e said:
pokeclaudel said:

I think it's funny I remember when Melee was coming out all my friends were thinking what NINTENDO characters they could add to the roster. But the first sight of a Sony smash game and everyone's thinking of what 3rd party characters they should include. Doesn't that show everyone there that Sony doesn't have as many iconic characters as Nintendo.

Good point >_<

on the opposite point, it could be because Nintendo doesn't have as many relavent current 3rd party characters to add.  When you think of Nintendo consoles these days you automatically think of first party.  Now that's a large part because they're the best games on the consoles, but it's also because there aren't as many high quality third party releases to choose from.  Pokeclaudel has a point sure, but so does Mugen.

Yeah I know, there aren't that many 3rd party characters I'd want to add to SSB either

And yeah, I think both sides have a point but the way the guy posts is so annoying, can't help but disagree

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:
Does Sony have popular characters? Would the cars from their popular racing series be in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj96XYhwTFI

I watched it.

Apart from Sackboy and that child with white eyes they are all generic 'tough guy' characters, nothing interesting at all.

They could all be the same person wearing different costumes, no imagination what so ever.

didn't you see ratchet!? :D 

Some of the characters are not Sony characters anyway, Andrespetmonkey's post/point is not valid.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

padib said:
Konami added to brawl despite Snake's relevance on the Nintendo home consoles for decades (apart from Twin Snakes). So there is at least one exception to the Cause and Effect 3rd party thing.

Then, you have that the 3rd parties actually horded to Microsoft, not Sony this gen. So there's another point and begs the question, had Wii been more powerful and been loss-leader would 3rd parties have also flocked to it? Was it only a matter of performance. If true, that would mean explain that 3rd parties wouldn't mind putting their mascots on brawl because they didn't isolate the Wii for nothing, it was a matter of graphical prowess and that's all.

So, Smash on the Playstation will have the same appeal as Smash on Nintendo when it comes to characters, as each chars appeal to their fanbases. As for design, as M.U.G.E.N mentioned levels and dynamics that's a whole other story. In terms of business and market appeal I believe Smash wins many times over SF4, and if it gets proper online it will kill. So I hope Sony goes the way of Smash rather than the way of SF4. I love both games, but for very different reasons. For a brawler Smash-style is the way to go imho!

You're veering off into a point noone is trying to make.  The statement was that Nintendo fans clamor for Nintendo characters when a new Smash Brother is announced, and Sony fans seem to be clamoring for 3rd party characters which shows that Sony doesn't have as many memorable characters.  The counterpoint was that Nintendo doesn't currently have as many relavent and current 3rd party characters.  Which could be why Nintendo fans don't clamor for 3rd party characters as much as the Sony fans do.  

Why the Wii has less third party characters, or Nintendo's ability to get those third party characters into Brawl if there's a fan desire for it has absolutely nothing to do with that.  The argument is simply why Nintendo fans clamor for first party while Sony clamor for 3rd (assuming that that observation is even true).

ASStronaut said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Some of the characters are not Sony characters anyway, Andrespetmonkey's post/point is not valid.

Just because some of the characters in the video aren't Sony characters doesn't negate his point.  "Does Sony even have popular characters", he showed a video with Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Sackboy.  All Sony and all popular in their own right.  Does the inclusion of Sonic make a list of SSBB characters invalid if someone used that to counter an argument about Nintendo not having any popular characters?

ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:
Does Sony have popular characters? Would the cars from their popular racing series be in the game?

I watched it.

Apart from Sackboy and that child with white eyes they are all generic 'tough guy' characters, nothing interesting at all.

They could all be the same person wearing different costumes, no imagination what so ever.

Really? 
Nathan Drake & company
Final fantasy characters
Sweet tooth
Rachet/clank
Jak/daxter
Sly cooper
chimera

Yeah... all tough guy characters xD

Kratos, Snake, Cole, Sev and AC guys could all be called 'tough guy' characters but they are drastically different, in terms of how they act, the games they are in and the weapons they use.

I think saying there is no imagination in those characters is just crazy.

Around the Network
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

i agree all sony characters are the same

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4317881

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTgLTrTfqE

give me a fucking break, whats so original about a plumber in overalls? because they don't carry guns the designs of characters like mario or dk ( a goriila with a tie ooh so original! ) etc are original?

ASStronaut said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Why can't third party characters be in the game aswell? xD 
Anyway I listed all the characters that aren't generic 'tough guy' characters in a seperate reply. (And that are sony characters)

ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Because every character in SSB is just so different and looks unique:

Fox = Falco = Wolf

Ness = Lucas

Ike = Marth

Kirby = MetaKnight

Link = Toon Link

DK = Diddy

hell, even Mario = Luigi

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Andrespetmonkey said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Really? 
Nathan Drake & company
Final fantasy characters
Sweet tooth
Rachet/clank
Jak/daxter
Sly cooper
chimera

Kratos, Snake, Cole, Sev and AC guys could all be called 'tough guy' characters but they are drastically different, in terms of how they act, the games they are in and the weapons they use.

I've watched it twice now, I did not see Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank. Are you sure you posted the right video?

I've no idea who Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth and Sly Cooper are, let me guess, guys with guns, am I right?

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Really? 
Nathan Drake & company
Final fantasy characters
Sweet tooth
Rachet/clank
Jak/daxter
Sly cooper
chimera

I've watched it twice now, I did not see Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank. Are you sure you posted the right video?

I've no idea who Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth and Sly Cooper are, let me guess, guys with guns, am I right?

Didn't have to be in the video, they're still sony IP, which was the point, the video was just to give you an idea. (And Rachet was in it)

Guy on the right ofcourse, sure he carries guns around, but he's definitely not the generic 'tough guy' character you're talking about, he's basically the modern indiana jones, play the uncharted series and you'll get it - which isn't a shooter btw.

Sweet tooth.

Sly Cooper.