By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Smash Bros. competitor all but confirmed, test images revealed

ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:
Does Sony have popular characters? Would the cars from their popular racing series be in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj96XYhwTFI

I watched it.

Apart from Sackboy and that child with white eyes they are all generic 'tough guy' characters, nothing interesting at all.

They could all be the same person wearing different costumes, no imagination what so ever.

Really? 
Nathan Drake & company
Final fantasy characters
Sweet tooth
Rachet/clank
Jak/daxter
Sly cooper
chimera

Yeah... all tough guy characters xD

Kratos, Snake, Cole, Sev and AC guys could all be called 'tough guy' characters but they are drastically different, in terms of how they act, the games they are in and the weapons they use.

I think saying there is no imagination in those characters is just crazy.

I've watched it twice now, I did not see Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank. Are you sure you posted the right video?

I've no idea who Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth and Sly Cooper are, let me guess, guys with guns, am I right?

Nathan Drake is a wisecracking treasure hunter, Sweet Tooth is a crazed clown serial killer who drives an ice cream truck, Sly Cooper is a anthromophic thief who hangs out with a turtle and a (iirc) hippo.  So one of them is a guy with a gun, yes.  You really should at least attempt to learn about Sony characters before you make generalizations about all of them.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:
Does Sony have popular characters? Would the cars from their popular racing series be in the game?

I watched it.

Apart from Sackboy and that child with white eyes they are all generic 'tough guy' characters, nothing interesting at all.

They could all be the same person wearing different costumes, no imagination what so ever.

Really? 
Nathan Drake & company
Final fantasy characters
Sweet tooth
Rachet/clank
Jak/daxter
Sly cooper
chimera

Yeah... all tough guy characters xD

Kratos, Snake, Cole, Sev and AC guys could all be called 'tough guy' characters but they are drastically different, in terms of how they act, the games they are in and the weapons they use.

I think saying there is no imagination in those characters is just crazy.

I've watched it twice now, I did not see Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank. Are you sure you posted the right video?

I've no idea who Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth and Sly Cooper are, let me guess, guys with guns, am I right?

Nathan Drake is a wisecracking treasure hunter, Sweet Tooth is a crazed clown serial killer who drives an ice cream truck, Sly Cooper is a anthromophic thief who hangs out with a turtle and a (iirc) hippo.  So one of them is a guy with a gun, yes.  You really should at least attempt to learn about Sony characters before you make generalizations about all of them.

Thanks for the information.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

Snake is a bad example for either side of this argument. His inclusion was actually disputed for Melee originally (where he did not get in) and the insistence that he be in Brawl came from Kojima, due to his friendship with Sakurai, and not due to any other factors. Sonic's inclusion was by overwhelming fan demand, once they knew that the door was open to third parties

At the end of the day, it would be certain that some characters with stronger relevancy than many of the Sony characters being kicked around could be introduced if Sony chooses to embrace third party input on the matter, but that would all depend on who they could acquire

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JOKA_ said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Because every character in SSB is just so different and looks unique:

Fox = Falco = Wolf

Ness = Lucas

Ike = Marth

Kirby = MetaKnight

Link = Toon Link

DK = Diddy

hell, even Mario = Luigi

Okay, your point i am going to have to strike down rather vigorously

A: Asstronaut's point was in regards to how many of these characters from different franchises look interchangeable. You countered by equating characters from the same franchise in all instances.

B: Kirby and Meta-Knight look dissimilar, act dissimilar, and play very differently. This point can also be applied to the contrast between Marth and Ike and DK and Diddy.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Just watched the Michael trailer and most of those characters were 3rd party characters. What everyone is failing to see is that Sony would have to pay royalties to have most of these characters in the game. Or did you think that all publishers would give the characters to them to use for nothing.

It's the reason why it took so long for Capcom vs tatsunoko to come to America and the reason why Shonen Jump Superstars and Ultimate stars never made it to America. Especially with the economy the way it is no one wants to do things for free anymore.

The problem is that all of Sony's characters aren’t memorable enough since we all seem to one not a Sony smash brothers clone but a Capcom vs Sony vs activison vs konami vs Square enix smash game which I believe is not financially viable.

The way you guys want it by the time all the royalties are paid off the developer who actually made the game wouldn't get enough to offset the development and marketing costs.

Here's a list of 1st party characters I would like to see in this game listed from most likely to least:

Character                            Series

Kratos                                  God of War

Nathan                                 Uncharted

Sackboy                               Little Big Planet

Jak                                         Jak and Daxter

Ratchet                                 Ratchet & Clank

Sly Cooper                           Sly Cooper

Dart                                      The Legend of the Dragoon

Spike                                      Ape Escape

Daniel Fortesque                MediEvil

Rudy                                      Wild Arms

Not sure if these are first party but

Nariko                                  Heavenly Sword

The Wanderer                  Shadow of the Colossus

Max/Monica/Toan           Dark Cloud

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
JOKA_ said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Fox = Falco = Wolf

Ness = Lucas

Ike = Marth

Kirby = MetaKnight

Link = Toon Link

DK = Diddy

hell, even Mario = Luigi

A: Asstronaut's point was in regards to how many of these characters from different franchises look interchangeable. You countered by equating characters from the same franchise in all instances.

B: Kirby and Meta-Knight look dissimilar, act dissimilar, and play very differently. This point can also be applied to the contrast between Marth and Ike and DK and Diddy.

A:  I'll give you A.  They are all from the same franchise.   Nintendo actually uses four different characters from a single franchise a few times (Pokemon, Zelda, Mario) and three characters other times (Kirby, Starfox)*.  I guess that just brings up the point that Sony could just do the same thing and include mulitple characters from each franchise.  Ratchet and Clank alone could provide a ton of characters.

B:  We were talking about appearance only, the line he used was "same person wearing different costumes" not play style or actions.  Which in the examples I cited, a costume change is pretty much the only change in the characters appearance.  The first time I heard about MetaKnight was in Brawl and I thought he was a kirby ...thing... in a costume.  Same for the others, minor costume changes is all that separate the character models.

*Also holy shit I JUST realized how Nintendo organized the character select list for Brawl lol.  It's vertical by franshise, I can't believe I've been playing it for 4 years and never noticed.  I feel dumb now haha I always thought it was randonly organized.

EDIT: Actually make that 6 characters from a single franchise.  I forgot to add Yoshi and Wario to Mario.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

pokeclaudel said:

Just watched the Michael trailer and most of those characters were 3rd party characters. What everyone is failing to see is that Sony would have to pay royalties to have most of these characters in the game. Or did you think that all publishers would give the characters to them to use for nothing.

It's the reason why it took so long for Capcom vs tatsunoko to come to America and the reason why Shonen Jump Superstars and Ultimate stars never made it to America. Especially with the economy the way it is no one wants to do things for free anymore.

The problem is that all of Sony's characters aren’t memorable enough since we all seem to one not a Sony smash brothers clone but a Capcom vs Sony vs activison vs konami vs Square enix smash game which I believe is not financially viable.

The way you guys want it by the time all the royalties are paid off the developer who actually made the game wouldn't get enough to offset the development and marketing costs.

Here's a list of 1st party characters I would like to see in this game listed from most likely to least:

Character                            Series

Kratos                                  God of War

Nathan                                 Uncharted

Sackboy                               Little Big Planet

Jak                                         Jak and Daxter

Ratchet                                 Ratchet & Clank

Sly Cooper                           Sly Cooper

Dart                                      The Legend of the Dragoon

Spike                                      Ape Escape

Daniel Fortesque                MediEvil

Rudy                                      Wild Arms

Not sure if these are first party but

Nariko                                  Heavenly Sword

The Wanderer                  Shadow of the Colossus

Max/Monica/Toan           Dark Cloud

the only reason i mentioned the trailer in the op was because it was hinted that it was a foreshadowing of the game...

i never said and i don't recall any saying that the ad specifies the character lineup... in fact personally for me i see no reason for sony to use third party characters for this as i believe their roster is diverse enough for a game of this type

"The way you guys want it" you shouldn't generalise like that, some of the guys who posted here not all and funny enough many of the people who seem to want it that way seem to prefer other consoles anyway

Mr Khan said:
JOKA_ said:
ASStronaut said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Paul said:

I watched it.

Fox = Falco = Wolf

Ness = Lucas

Ike = Marth

Kirby = MetaKnight

Link = Toon Link

DK = Diddy

hell, even Mario = Luigi

"Asstronaut's point was in regards to how many of these characters from different franchises look interchangeable"

if that truly was his point then he never had a point in the first place

maybe for a couple franchises like killzone and resistance that may be done because characters from those franchises are soldiers but beyond them would you say cole from infamous can be confused with say sackboy from lbp? or that nariko from heavenly sword can be confused with rachet? i wouldn't expect so...

then again i can't really blame him as that ad is not a good representation of sony's first party lineup, then again i don't think it was supposed to be in the first place