By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Smash Bros. competitor all but confirmed, test images revealed

I really hope this happens. I want to see how Sweet Tooth would battle.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Get Activision's permission to use Spyro or go the hell home, i say. Despite never owning a Sony console, this is a game concept i've envisioned for a long time (granted i envisioned it as a Nintendo vs PlayStation sort of thing)

Mario v. Crash
DK v. Spike (protagonist of Ape Escape, get it?)
Link v. Kratos (to put that argument to rest once and for all :P)
Samus v. Rico
Yoshi v. Spyro
Kirby v. Tomba (remember Tomba?)
Fox v. Sly
Pikachu v. Sackboy

It could go on and on. I'll be interested to see where they go with it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think it's funny I remember when Melee was coming out all my friends were thinking what NINTENDO characters they could add to the roster. But the first sight of a Sony smash game and everyone's thinking of what 3rd party characters they should include. Doesn't that show everyone there that Sony doesn't have as many iconic characters as Nintendo.

M.U.G.E.N said:

I believe you are misunderstanding me here, I'm not saying nhilistic is proven either but I wouldn't call camelot as a 'proven' either just cuz one game, especially not proven enough to give your most iconic character to them (found this game on a quick glance at mario wiki page as well, Hotel mario >_> ). it's not like Sony gave GT series to a small dev. Move heroes was a spin off casual title and Resistance is declining in popularity, so sony can in a sense can take a risk with them. I'm guessing similar scenario with MTennis (and I'm sure we can find other similar examples in ninty history). this is just business, nothing more nothing less. IF Nhilistic can actually put out a decent Resistance Vita game I expect to see more similar titles from then in coming years as well..if not meh it's the chance for another small dev to prove themselves I suppose

To be fair, Smash Bros started out as a long-shot comparatively low-budget game, but HAL Laboratories was a first-rate studio, and a first-rate studio at producing side-scrolling sorts of games. I've never even heard of Nihilistic.

And Sony does have the poor tendency to farm out iconic franchises to second-rate developers and thus kill them off. Hell, the entire problem with the PSP was that Sony had very few top-rank studios working on it (Sony Japan being one of a very short list), and it seems they are continuing to fall into that trap with Vita.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

pokeclaudel said:

I think it's funny I remember when Melee was coming out all my friends were thinking what NINTENDO characters they could add to the roster. But the first sight of a Sony smash game and everyone's thinking of what 3rd party characters they should include. Doesn't that show everyone there that Sony doesn't have as many iconic characters as Nintendo.

with the kind of third party support nintendo gets i would've figured the reason for that would be obvious...

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I believe you are misunderstanding me here, I'm not saying nhilistic is proven either but I wouldn't call camelot as a 'proven' either just cuz one game, especially not proven enough to give your most iconic character to them (found this game on a quick glance at mario wiki page as well, Hotel mario >_> ). it's not like Sony gave GT series to a small dev. Move heroes was a spin off casual title and Resistance is declining in popularity, so sony can in a sense can take a risk with them. I'm guessing similar scenario with MTennis (and I'm sure we can find other similar examples in ninty history). this is just business, nothing more nothing less. IF Nhilistic can actually put out a decent Resistance Vita game I expect to see more similar titles from then in coming years as well..if not meh it's the chance for another small dev to prove themselves I suppose

To be fair, Smash Bros started out as a long-shot comparatively low-budget game, but HAL Laboratories was a first-rate studio, and a first-rate studio at producing side-scrolling sorts of games. I've never even heard of Nihilistic.

And Sony does have the poor tendency to farm out iconic franchises to second-rate developers and thus kill them off. Hell, the entire problem with the PSP was that Sony had very few top-rank studios working on it (Sony Japan being one of a very short list), and it seems they are continuing to fall into that trap with Vita.

awww hellll noo :D I'm not getting into the debate about which first party devs worked on PSP games debate again..already had it twice....Sony had almost all their first party studios working on psp titles and that's all I will say on the matter.

and not sure who these second rate devs are..but devs like Ready @ dawn were absolutely amazing. they did good with Daxter so they got the chance to make a GOW game and they absolutely nailed it. and besides I wasn't even comparing Hal to Nhilistic...I was saying even Ninty have loaned out their iconic characters for smaller games in the past by smaller studios. it's just business and if Nhilistic proves them selves with Burning Skies (which is an IP Sony can take risks) they will get the chance to take on even bigger responsibilities in the future. time will tell.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

pokeclaudel said:

Good point >_<

miz1q2w3e said:
pokeclaudel said:

Good point >_<

well it's kinda obvious since you can't exactly add just dance characters to a game :P

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:

well it's kinda obvious since you can't exactly add just dance characters to a game :P

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be some sort of funny jab at Wii/Just Dance?

Besides, he was talking about melee (gamecube)

miz1q2w3e said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be some sort of funny jab at Wii/Just Dance?

Besides, he was talking about melee (gamecube)

oh no no not a jab..but reality..and we are discussing a game that's suppose to come out ...now ya know ;) I mean really...how many 3rd party characters can you imagine people wanting out of 3rd party games that wii recived this gen.....on the other hand on the ps3 we have had so so many great 3rd party games that obviously fans of those games will want some of them as well..good example would be carls suggestion of Big Daddy...unique and fun character from a great game..would be pretty rad to have characters like him ....i mean games like this should cater to all and a console is NOT just about exclusives

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!