By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Smash Bros. competitor all but confirmed, test images revealed

Khuutra said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:

I've got to admit, this is post is one of your best for a while as it is not silly in anyway.

Anyway to the point. Nintendo came up with a fantastic idea when they formed Super Smash Bros. and Sony is really the only other company in gaming to form a vast host of playable characters. I hope Sony don't call this Sony Smash Bros. because I am sure "Smash Bros." is copyrighted.

Capcom, Konami, and Namco - to name only three - have larger stables of iconic characters than Sony do.

SEGA

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network

Looking at Wiki, and the things that Sony own. They could have LOADS of characters in this.

• The apes from Ape Escape?
  • Buzz?
  • Rincewind from the Discworld games?
  • Toan from Dark Cloud?
  • EyePet?
  • Fat Princess?
  • Kratos... And a whole bunch of Gods?
  • Nariko and Kai from Heavenly Sword?
  • A character from Everybody Golf?
  • ICO, Yorda, Wander... Whoever else is in The Last Guardian.
  • I've never played inFamous, but I know there's tons of characters there. Cole is obvious.
  • Jak, Daxter + Side characters
  • Sev, Rico, Radec, Helghast from Killzone
  • The Legend of Dragoon... Whoever is in it?
  • Lemmings? (I never knew this was Sony)
  • Sackboy and Sackgirl from LittleBigPlanet
  • That guy from MediEvil
  • Random ModNation guy/girl
  • PaRappa the Rapper and other main cast members
  • Patapon things
  • Ratchet, Clank, Quark, Nefarious, Drek.
  • Resistance has Hale, Capelli and the Chimera
  • Sly Cooper has a whole bunch of characters
  • Gabe Logan from Syphonn Filter
  • Twisted Metal, as far as I know, has a few characters that could be used.
  • Uncharted has a number of characters that could be used.
  • White Knight Chronicles has characters that could be used.
  • Wild Arms has characters that could be used.

These ones could be from Sony alone. Some are well known, some aren't. It's a good enough list for a fighting game anyway. A lot of characters reaching a big audience. As long as the game itself is good, word of mouth will do it good.

Anyway, the list was without whatever 3rd party characters that Sony could get into the game. Here's another list of series/characters that could potentially be in the game.

• Metal Gear Solid - Snake?
  • Final Fantasy - Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Yuna, Lightning?
  • Resident Evil - Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire?
  • Tekken - Too many to list
  • Street Fighter - Too many to list
  • Mortal Kombat - Too many to list
  • Crash Bandicoot + Cortex
  • Spyro
  • Lara Croft
  • Rayman
  • Assassin's Creed - Altair/Ezio

Obviously there is more and obviously the lists are very, very "what if"... But this could have a lot of potential. A lot of the things I put up here are likely to NEVER happen, ever... But if it's done right, it could be good.

Then again, it could be a huge clusterfuck.

Zeus would be better has a boss contender than a character. He's not the usual "anti-hero", he's a strong foe that we just fight in the end of the series. It would be an hell of a nerf having him fight with the likes of Ratchet and Sackboy.

Also, Sony has nothing on Konami, Namco-Bandai or Capcom like it's been said. I would even think they would need them for this game. Who can imagine this game without Solid Snake, any character from Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc. It would be too much of a loss for the fans. imo

Oh and Namco-Bandai>Capcom>Konami. Why? Because One Piece x naruto x Saint Seiya x Dragon Ball Z would do an hell of Smash Bros game alone if made for the PS3/360.

lurkerwithnosoul said:
Zeus would be better has a boss contender than a character. He's not the usual "anti-hero", he's a strong foe that we just fight in the end of the series. It would be an hell of a nerf having him fight with the likes of Ratchet and Sackboy.

Also, Sony has nothing on Konami, Namco-Bandai or Capcom like it's been said. I would even think they would need them for this game. Who can imagine this game without Solid Snake, any character from Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc. It would be too much of a loss for the fans. imo

Oh and Namco-Bandai>Capcom>Konami. Why? Because One Piece x naruto x Saint Seiya x Dragon Ball Z would do an hell of Smash Bros game alone if made for the PS3/360.

It worked for Ganondorf, it could work for Zeus.

Carl2291 said:

Looking at Wiki, and the things that Sony own. They could have LOADS of characters in this.

• Buzz?
  • Toan from Dark Cloud?
  • EyePet?
  • Fat Princess?
  • I've never played inFamous, but I know there's tons of characters there. Cole is obvious.
  • That guy from MediEvil
  • Patapon things

is it sad that i know all of these characters and i can name even more? =/

Around the Network
Torillian said:
ElGranCabeza said:
leatherhat said:
ElGranCabeza said:
This is gonna suck and sell horrible and I'll tell you why:

1) No recognizable character worldwide. Kratos is not that famous in EU/Japan, Drake not famous in Japan, and everything else not famous anywhere
2) Developer is unknown. Remember when Sony gave 3 of its biggest mascots to the horrible Nihilistic Software and they made one of the worst games of all time? They then rewarded them by having them make Resistance Vita which so far looks pretty fucking bad? Yeah, expect more of the same. MNR was supposed to be Mario Kart like but it sucked and the load times actually put me to sleep. Nothing Mario Kart about that.

I thought for sure you would support this game

Why? The concept itself is pretty stupid, but Nintendo is able to pull it off because their characters are pretty damn popular worldwide, this has bomba written all over it, even more so than the Mario Kart clone, MNR.

Nintendo made a subgenre with the kart racer, they still clearly own it but how long does a company have to wait until they're just making a kart racer and it isn't a mario kart clone.

Anyway, MNR sold 870,000 on PS3 and has an offshoot on PSP and a sequel planned for Vita, compared to the 10+million Mario Kart sells it's small, but it's no bomb.    And it certainly isn't a bad game either, atleast according to most people since it has the same meta score as the last Mario Kart.  Loading sucked but other than that it was a fun, well designed game.

I think it's a bomba. Major one at that too. You might not remember how they were hyping it, but the hype was surreal at the time.

LBP 1 is not a bomba, 2 is in bomba territory, MNR is a major bomba, no way to spin it otherwise.

The PS3 version was poor, the loading was horrendous and killed the most important aspect for this type of game, the community. I also think it's funny you mentioned the offshoot psp game but only mentioned the meta score for the PS3 version and Wii Mario Kart. When you consider the PSP version and DS Mario Kart, the quality gap is just as big as the sales gap.

PullusPardus said:
Carl2291 said:

• Buzz?
  • Toan from Dark Cloud?
  • EyePet?
  • Fat Princess?
  • That guy from MediEvil
  • Patapon things

is it sad that i know all of these characters and i can name even more? =/

Yes. Very

bouzane said:
Crazymann said:
Ha ha!

Time for someone to post the "What Nintendo Create, We Take" picture again...

Still, I am intrigued. Will most definitely purchase if good!

Nintendo invented cross-over fighting games? That certainly is news to me.

@ASStronaut

If serious, you really aren't much of a gamer :/

Wow!  Someone is ultra-defensive!  But... ok, I'll bite

While crossover games existed for a while before SSB on N64, it was the depth of the crossover and the smash/dmg system that was unique to Nintendo foray into fighting games.  Based on what people are saying, when they think of a "Sony competitor to Smash Bros." they assume that those elements have a VERY strong possibility of being included... which would be a direct copy.

In fact, if they DON'T do that, then I won't be near as likely to buy it - because I want a Smash Bros. with Sony characters.  If they give the characters fixed life or some other spin on the system, then it won't be the same.

Also, don't be too quick to judge other people's gaming passions by your standards of gaming.  Someone who has played a few games of Tetris and only Tetris daily since 1987 is just as much a gamer as you are... and they may not know any of those characters or Smash Bros. characters either.

Granted, that may have been a troll question... but there are many gamers who may not like those francises and (yet) still play Madden or Gran Turismo.

EDIT:

And, I would like to point out that I don't know that FIGHTING game characters should by used much in this game.  If I want to fight as Scorpion or Ryu, I'll play those games.  A game of this type should be as eclectic as possible.

Anyone notice that Sony has taken a lot of ideas from Nintendo in the past few years? They're kind of like an expensive Nintendo-imitation brand.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Drake
Ratchet
Clank
Sly Cooper
Patapon
White Knight Armor
jeane D'Arc
Jak and Daxter
Colonel Radec
Sev
Nathan Hale
Fluted Armor slayer of demons
Garl Vinland/ King Allant
Kratos
Nariko
Spike from Ape escape
Sweet Tooth
Doll face
Parappa the Rappa
Sir Daniel
Sackboy
Arc
Cole McGrath
Ellen or Keats from folklore
Toan from Dark cloud

Thats a decent list of characters without going into really obscure stuff or third parties

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype