By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3's Move Closing The Sales Gap with Kinect

this whole marketing cost argument is so stupid.
A lot of people here are just pissed that MS does something they wish Sony would do.

Infact they are spending just as much, but not in a efficient way. Do you think the mainsponsorship of the UEFA Champions League is for free?

And who cares as long as it works out? Even though they spent 1billion USD on Kinect and WP7 marketing, they still reported 1.36billion USD profit.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
kowenicki said:
Dallinor said:
kowenicki said:

The $500m thing is bogus... its in line with the spend of all the big three on any normal holiday push and is no big deal.  I have looked into this and provided the information here several times before.  It really needs to stop being repeated ad nauseum as some golden nugget of information and in some way unsual.

Hell we even saw recently that Uncharted had a marketing spend of £5m in the UK alone. thats £5m ($7.5m) on one game in one country.

Nintedno also spent $500m in advertising in the final quarter of both 2009 and 2010.  God knows how much sony would have spent... a lot more probably.

Its nothing special or unsual.  

It's nothing special or unusual?

It's the biggest spend on a gaming periperhal ever for starters.

Do Sony spend anywhere near that amount for Playstation advertisement? I seriously doubt it.

Sony's biggest marketing campaign across Europe since launch, in 2009, during the launch of the Slim, was shy of $100 million. One fifth of what was reportedly spent on Kinect. That was Sony's push during a remodel and after price cut, in their biggest market.

Could you provide a link to Nintendo spending $500m in those quarters? It wouldn't surprise me, I'd have thought Nintendo would have spent the most given their massive profits and market position earlier in the gen. I'd also imagine that's an advertising spend spread over both the DS and the Wii.

That Uncharted figure could actually be small scale in comparison to the budget for other games (Halo 3-$40 million, Wii Fit- $40 million) for example.

Really nothing I've seen or read implies that $500m for Kinect is anything short of gigantic in scale.

ffs.  do you think i make things up?  its public domain.

clue: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

bigger clue: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110127e.pdf  go to page 5 and look at advertising expenses, then look at the previous quarter and extract the advertising spend for the year to date there.  hey presto you get 73bn yen - 38bn yen which is 35bn yen, which is $454m... happy now?

and what has the global advertising budget of a game that sells 10 million have to do with the UK-only advertising budget that wont sell half of that? 

No need to get emotional.

Thanks for the clues and the high level of disdain.

So $454 million, less than the kinect advertising push, for the market leader spread over two platforms. Yeah, the kinect spend still looks gigantic.

I assumed you were trying to show how the marketing costs of a single game could be very high, and as such a huge figure like $500 million needs to be taken into perspective as such. Or am I wrong?

Therefore, the Uncharted 3 example was a poor one. We don't know if £5 million is a high advertising spend for the UK or not. We do know some global figures though, such as Halo 3's $40 million advertising costs, and conveniently it's the in the same currency and involves no speculation.

I couldn't open the Nintendo link that he posted so thanks for clearing up what it was about.

Still, as I said before (and you stated) Nintendo spent that money on two platforms,  including many games promotions on each. To compare what was spent on one product to nintendo's current range products and games campaign is somewhat weak.

Still waiting for proof of Sony's 500m (even half that would be a surprise) christmas PS3 marketing  campaign.

As for the £5m spent on U3 it is the highest SCE have spent in the UK. It pales in comparison to a couple million probably spent between COD and Battlefield games, FIFA games etc., where it is reasonable to assume that a big chunk is spent on the UK, but as these are multiplat and maybe not a fair comparison.

Take lost planet, it had a promotion costs of $20m or thereabouts WW so it's all relative.

Halo's big marketing reflects it sales, so from a relational prospective where we compare promotional cost to sales revenue 5m is indeed high for Uncharted.

But many games publishers spend a lot more than that. I will try to get a list of the biggest marketing cost in regards to games in the UK and maybe start a thread about that.

DirtyP2002 said:
A lot of people here are just pissed that MS does something they wish Sony would do.

Infact they are spending just as much, but not in a efficient way. Do you think the mainsponsorship of the UEFA Champions League is for free?

And who cares as long as it works out? Even though they spent 1billion USD on Kinect and WP7 marketing, they still reported 1.36billion USD profit.

So true... people act like Microsoft should be ashamed of putting so much money into marketing the Kinect while Sony and Nintendo are glorious by not putting as much. To me it means they are serious and confident about Kinect and there's a reason why they want the thing in every households.

DirtyP2002 said:

the argument by some about userbase versus sales ( in relation to this article at least ) is no less stupid and yet you aren't butthurt about that

Jazz2K said:
oniyide said:
Jazz2K said:

LOL... ok let's say I was wrong to imply Kinect's lineup is better.

If you think its better, then you think its better. Thats up to the person, but if you never touched anything having to do with Move, its kind of a biased opinion and you're kinda just blowing hot air.

Chill man I said this because people kept saying Kinect's games were all bad. I have a Kinect and so does almost every member of my family and the fun we have with the better games is saying much. If I compare to my friends that have Move all we could play was Sports Champion but beyond that I didn't know what Move games were. Now that someone showed Sony published games for Move, I can only wonder why people keep saying MS published games for Kinect were shovleware when they publish KS and DC...

My bad, didnt mean to sound like a jerk and I agree with you. I think the thing with Kinect and shovelware is that thats the games that are at the forefront because those are the games that work best. Its camera there is only so much you can do, with the tech. They are trying to get some "core" games on it, but judging from recent efforts im not so sure they are going to be successful.  Move is just a souped up Wiimote so it has more versatility so you can do more. YOu take those games that were listed and sure there shovelware like, but throw in Heavy Rain, Resistance 3, Mag, Killzone3, Infamous2, LBP2, Tumble, Echochrome2, the fight, RUne Factory. Not trying to turn this into a list war but you throw those games in the mix and Sony's Move offerings look a little more diverse IMHO, despite whether they require Move or not

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
DirtyP2002 said:

the argument by some about userbase versus sales ( in relation to this article at least ) is no less stupid and yet you aren't butthurt about that

Absolutely spot on. 

DirtyP2002 said:

agree

o_O.Q said:

"Notice all those games are published by Sony?"

that wasn't by coincidence... he specified sony's apparent lack of support so i responded with titles they are releasing...

"why is Sony raping its userbase with these lame casual Move titles?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTgLTrTfqE

that was a joke right? how is kinect any different?

Ah, I missed that. But why is Sony putting out so many casual titles? The Move failed to appeal to casual audiences based on how poorly past Move titles have done. So they put out more cliche casual games that will inevitably be ignored? Brilliant!

How is Kinect any different? It found an audience and does a much better job selling software.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Ah, I missed that. But why is Sony putting out so many casual titles? The Move failed to appeal to casual audiences based on how poorly past Move titles have done. So they put out more cliche casual games that will inevitably be ignored? Brilliant!

How is Kinect any different? It found an audience and does a much better job selling software.

Easy to make, rubbish videogames that can sell 100k units are easy profit. Probably make a profit off of 10000 copies or something for a whole bunch of the games released for it.

Start the Party, for example, has sold over 250000 units. That many units for a game with those production values is VERY easy money.

If games that release for it can sell over 100000 units, then they can be classed as a success. Look at what they did with Singstar...

Carl2291 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Easy to make, rubbish videogames that can sell 100k units are easy profit. Probably make a profit off of 10000 copies or something for a whole bunch of the games released for it.

Start the Party, for example, has sold over 250000 units. That many units for a game with those production values is VERY easy money.

If games that release for it can sell over 100000 units, then they can be classed as a success. Look at what they did with Singstar...

With all the recent news about the new classification of pepper spray and pizza, I misread the bolded as "rubbish vegetables"!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!