By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Baldur's Gate still Kicking?

I bought the BG1/2/Exp set a while back and got into it for about a week before being interrupted, never to get back to it. I'd really like to play through them, but I need to find time to dedicate myself to the 100+ hours its going to take to get through it all.

The mod I was using was BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy?) which incorporated BG1+Exp+BG2+Exp into one massive (possibly seamless) game, playable from start to end (unlike BG1Tutu which only allows 1 in the 2nd engine).

Around the Network

funnily enough, about 2 weeks ago I got a huge craving to play BG2. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my copy, so I had tofind a friend who had a copy. It took a while, because another friend also couldn't find his.

I finally tracked it down the other day and just started playing it yesterday. Fantastic game, best RPG ever by a mile. I never played any mods, but I don't really see the point. The main thing that makes BG2 so fantastic is the story, if you can mod Icewind Dale 2 instead, then it would be better because I'd prefer to play with the V3 ruleset

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

the mods are good for certain aspects. Some of them actually work to add content that was originally planned for the game by the original developers, but had been cut out do to time and space constraints. I like being able to play through the game and have a few different things to do since the last time I played.

and as far as the BGTrilogy thing goes. I've heard about that, but I don't think that BGTrilogy has as much support as BG1tutu does in terms of the fan mods that have been made for it. If all you want is the original game BG1+BG2 in one chunk and no worries about additional modding, then that's probably the way to go, but I think the mod community has since updated the tutu versions beyond what Trilogy is supported for. Not something I can confirm though, but you may want to check things out and verify that for yourself.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I would have played BG2 recently, if I could get the damn thing to work on my current computer. :(

My favourite mod for the game was so simple, yet so fantastic. It simply removed the XP cap so that you could play the game with a single character. Some fights were challenging, but when one multiclassed character gets all the best gear, it's doable. :)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Do you have Vista? I have it running, but it requires you to adjust a few settings on your files directly.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

My impression "recently" (about 6-8 months ago) when I was looking into the current situation for a friend, was that BGT was compatible with a significantly large portion of the mod community now because it had The Big Picture (the one which was helping to unify mods) support. I also noticed that it has been reduced from its behemoth size of a few hundred meg, down to all of about 15meg, so I'm really not sure of its current status.

I'll check it out later if I get a chance and report back if anyone is interested.

Edit: A quick google brings up this http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?s=edec33c5ace073f72fcd1a746c9f586f&showtopic=23549

Grey Acumen said:
Do you have Vista? I have it running, but it requires you to adjust a few settings on your files directly.

Nope. I'm one of those rare, slightly crazy Mac gamers. The Mac port of BG2 had some issues, as most such ports do, and the Mac OS X version doesn't seem to agree with Mac OS 10.4.

You've motivated me to try to get it working again. A little prelliminary forum poking suggests that, while my problem isn't isolated, some people are still enjoying this game on Mac OS. I'll let you know if I can get it going.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

famousringo said:
Grey Acumen said:

Nope. I'm one of those rare, slightly crazy Mac gamers. The Mac port of BG2 had some issues, as most such ports do, and the Mac OS X version doesn't seem to agree with Mac OS 10.4.

You've motivated me to try to get it working again. A little prelliminary forum poking suggests that, while my problem isn't isolated, some people are still enjoying this game on Mac OS. I'll let you know if I can get it going.

I'm running BG2 under cedega with Linux, and it runs flawlessly. I tried it under wine but had some issues, apparently other people have had more success, however.

I thought there was a mac version of wine/cedega? 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

The Baldurs Gates are great games, and I didn't even knowed about modding. I played it less, since I switched to Linux, but that's a good opportunity to pick it up again.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

omgwtfbbq said:
famousringo said:
Grey Acumen said:

I'm running BG2 under cedega with Linux, and it runs flawlessly. I tried it under wine but had some issues, apparently other people have had more success, however.

I thought there was a mac version of wine/cedega?

I know there's work being done on WINE for Mac OS, but I'm pretty sure that it requires a Mac with an Intel processor, which I don't have. Furthermore, my copy of BG2 is Mac only, so I'd have to find a PC copy.

But none of this matters, because I seem to have persuaded (after a few hours of running dicey installers and scouring the internet for knowledge) the dang thing to work properly. Now I can back up the important config files and see what mods I can run without breaking it again. :D