By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you used to love - do they still hold up today?

The worst offender--any game that relied solely on its cutting edge graphics over gameplay. Graphics tech keeps getting better and better. It doesn't take long for something that looked awesome to look dated. That's why I prefer an artistic game with great gameplay (ie: Wind Waker) to an average game with great graphics (ie: The Getaway). The former ages a lot better.

Around the Network

I still like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid... I think I generally like whatever games I used to like before. Maybe they haven't all aged that well but I don't really mind it that much.

FIFA 98.

If you can overcome the eye cancer causing graphics and the extremely stick animations, it's still a damn fine game.
Indoor football FTW !!!

Barozi said:
FIFA 98.

If you can overcome the eye cancer causing graphics and the extremely stick animations, it's still a damn fine game.
Indoor football FTW !!!

Pissing the niiiight awayyy, pissing the niiight awaayyy.

Shadow of the Colossus and Ico are timeless classics.
but those weren't in my chilhood, my childhood is sega related, and most of those games are still playable.

Around the Network

Half-Life, Diablo II, Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate series. They all hold up very well for me.

leatherhat said:

Shining Force 2 remains the best game of all time- so yes.

Wrong again, Shining Force 3 is the best game of all time, shining force 2 is merely the second greatest game of all time.  Shame only 1/3 of the game came out of Japan

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been reliving a lot of my youth recently and playing on my SNES. One of my favourite games on it was Link to the Past. Played it right the way through again. Still as enjoyable now as it was back then. After I completed that I picked up Doom. Turned it off after 10 minutes. The Snes version has not aged well at all!

I could still happily play Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage 2 and some other Sega Megadrive games. On X360 Burnout Revenge is still awesome!

I'll tell you a game that I enjoyed playing with a friend that is a pretty damn old game. The game is Ice Hockey published by Nintendo on the NES. We played it on the VC for 3 games. He won the first game with his all fatties team beating mine by 1 point (he was dominating then I came back but barely too late). I then showed him who's the boss the next two games by clamping down on my D and improving my O. This game doesn't look like much but I know it is pure fun.