By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Skyrim, and not Skyward, offer what Zelda fans actually want?

Tagged games:

Skyrim or Skyward?

R U mad? Skyward forever! 51 51.52%

U joking? Skyrim! Börk Börk Börk! 11 11.11%

PC rulez, and only Skyrim's on it. 2 2.02%

PC users are snobs, no Skyward for them! 4 4.04%

My turtle eats kittens 6 6.06%

I'm happy with Wii Music and nothing else 6 6.06%

Do baby seals taste like duck? 2 2.02%

Malstrom is barking mad 2 2.02%

But he's right 6 6.06%

See results 9 9.09%

Total:99

I wouldn't agree.

I'm a huuuge Zelda fan, in fact Zelda Wind Waker is probably my favourite video game of all times.
I didn't actually play Skyrim (yet) so I can't really judge, but 1-2 years ago I tried Oblivion on my 360 and I didn't even like it. Played for about half an hour before I got badly bored. I had similar feelings when I tried Mass Effect, so I guess role-playing games are just not my cup of tea.

Around the Network

I think Dark Souls has more that Zelda should be looking into than Skyrim. An open world with difficult yet fulfilling combat, bosses that don't just require the use of the last tool you found and a non-pervasive but interesting online system. I think a similar online system would be very cool in a Zelda game, but then you get to places like story, variety of gameplay and polish that I think Zelda beats Dark Souls in hands down so it's not as though the street is one-way.

both could benefit from each other. if skyrim had zeldas combat systema nd dungeon design then it could be a 10 for me. If zelda had skyrims big world then i would be impressed but no to big.

Torillian said:
pezus said:
Who is this Malstrom and why is he so famous among Nintendo fans? This is a genuine question. I'm always seeing topics being created around what he says and so on, why?

He's someone that predicted the Wii success before it happened, and therefore Nintendo fans at first thought he was brilliant and posted everything he said, but now it seems that he was just lucky in one instance that his own feelings about something matched what actually ended up having, not that he's a brilliant analytical mind.

We had a similar situation on these forums with a user named Jon Lucas who predicted the Wii's massive success and then everyone thought he was a pretty much prophetic.  He then went on to totally squander that by making heavily skewed predictions that were more what he wanted to happen than what was likely (MGS4 will never release on PS3, PS3 will be dead in 6 months in 2008 iirc) so again it was a case of someone who's personal biases just happened to match reality in one instance.   Broken clock is right twice a day and all that.

Not speaking about your examples specifically, but those type of posters and those days ... I miss 'em.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Smeags said:

Funnily enough, I've actually been thinking the opposite, that The Elder Scrolls would benefit from borrowing from a few of Zelda's gameplay mechanics. Particularly the fighting mechanics, as I'm finding that the combat in Skyrim is easily the game's weakest area (I say 'easily' not because combat is bad per se, but because the rest of the game feels much more compelling and fresh).

Also, while dungeons and castles litter the (awesome) world of Skyrim, thus far (25 hours in...), they're very different from Zelda temples and dungeons, and that's just fine. Skyrim's are much more straight forward (less focus of puzzles, more focus on action and combat) than Zelda's, but that's fine.

I've been seeing a few posts around gamrConnect recently that have been comparing the two as some sort of competition, or even suggesting that one game makes the other obsolete... and I really don't see how people can come to these conclusions. Both games have their similarities, sure, but they are also very different from one another and can co-exists rather nicely. I'm so incredibly glad I bought Skyrim, and am enjoying it immensely, but come November 20th (darn you Europeans!), I'll also be buying Skyward Sword and playing the stuffing out of that.

Looks like I win this round Malstrom (and e-mailer that spelled "they're" wrong), I get the best of both worlds.

Great post. No need to put such unique and overall amazing games against each other.

Around the Network

People still follow this guy's blog ?

As a fan of both series, I say: No.  I got Skyrim at launch, been enjoying it thoroughly, and I'll do the same with Zelda.

They're different.  They should be different.  I want Zelda to go in the direction the developers take it.  I don't want them to emulate some other game...that would ultimately detract from the experience.  There is absolutely no reason in the world a person can't enjoy both of these games without wishing one was more like the other.

I haven't played any of them, but I think they're not talking about the combat mechanics, but the exploration and open world, just like in the first Zelda. I don't know if I'd agree with that because I prefer the "linearity" of A Link to the Past than the original Zelda, but it may be good to experiment with that in the next game.

Seeing those random battles in Skyrim got me thinking, wouldn't it be great to see that in Zelda? In Zelda you already know what enemies to expect once you know a location, but imagine if you're in Kakariko and randomly get attacked or in the woods or the middle of Hyrule. And speaking of enemies, something I'd like to see is an epic battle from time to time but not only in a dungeon. Why can't an enemy like a sub-boss may be found in Hyrule?

About Malstrom, he's just bitching a lot lately, he already hates the game and while I understand his anger, it also seems this game changes the formula a bit, and not only that but... isn't this game more similar to an Arcade Zelda? I mean, it's like playing Wii Sports Resort with a story and open world, isn't it?

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

"What Zelda could learn from _____________"

• Okami
  • Oblivion
  • Demon's Souls
  • Dark Souls
  • Arkham City
  • Skyrim?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

After playing both- No.

If Zelda ever ends up like Elder Scrolls, that will be the day the series loses all credibility. It's one thing creating an open world, but it's a different thing having al; the other stuff which comes with it...

They are two different games. Don't compare them because of similar names.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.