By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Skyrim, and not Skyward, offer what Zelda fans actually want?

Tagged games:

Skyrim or Skyward?

R U mad? Skyward forever! 51 51.52%

U joking? Skyrim! Börk Börk Börk! 11 11.11%

PC rulez, and only Skyrim's on it. 2 2.02%

PC users are snobs, no Skyward for them! 4 4.04%

My turtle eats kittens 6 6.06%

I'm happy with Wii Music and nothing else 6 6.06%

Do baby seals taste like duck? 2 2.02%

Malstrom is barking mad 2 2.02%

But he's right 6 6.06%

See results 9 9.09%

Total:99

Welcome to Malstrom shitting on games he hasn't played, this is victim number 4

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
As a Zelda fan, no, I don't want an old combat system and Bethesda's trademark glitches.

Neither do Malstrom and that couple of fan of his, I guess, they'd just like that feature, but I'm sure implemented in a Zelda orthodox way, not in an Elder Scrolls way: Skyrim's implementation may satisfy a craving of theirs, but it's not transferable to Zelda "as is". And I like Bethesda games, but only in Game of the Year Edition after enough patches have been released to make them playable and some of the best formerly sold separately expansions have been included (about this, Bethesda 1.0 versions may be buggier than average, but they really didn't start a trend in PC games that is decades old, and that sadly was adopted on consoles too as soon as they started offering ways to patch games after release).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Gnac said:
Is Malstrom so desperate for controversy that he's faking emails now?

Did he ever publish real emails, actually?   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I agree that tanks in Zelda is ridiculous.

I don't think that I agree with anything else though. For instance, reading Malstrom definitely isn't going to get you laid.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

i've never played skyrim or any other game in the series so my opinion is meaningless but...

YES!

Around the Network
pezus said:
Who is this Malstrom and why is he so famous among Nintendo fans? This is a genuine question. I'm always seeing topics being created around what he says and so on, why?

He's just a guy that writes a blog that happens to be right more often than a lot of people.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

So what did we learn today kids?

We learned that not only does Maelstrom not know what he is talking about, but apparently neither does his GF.

Why would I want Zelda to play like Skyrim? O_o

I want Zelda to play like 3D Dot Game Heroes (AKA NES/SNES Zelda).

I should make my own blog because I am pretty sure plenty of Zelda fans would ask for that rather than a Zelda game that plays like Skyrim.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

pezus said:
Who is this Malstrom and why is he so famous among Nintendo fans? This is a genuine question. I'm always seeing topics being created around what he says and so on, why?

He's someone that predicted the Wii success before it happened, and therefore Nintendo fans at first thought he was brilliant and posted everything he said, but now it seems that he was just lucky in one instance that his own feelings about something matched what actually ended up having, not that he's a brilliant analytical mind.

We had a similar situation on these forums with a user named Jon Lucas who predicted the Wii's massive success and then everyone thought he was a pretty much prophetic.  He then went on to totally squander that by making heavily skewed predictions that were more what he wanted to happen than what was likely (MGS4 will never release on PS3, PS3 will be dead in 6 months in 2008 iirc) so again it was a case of someone who's personal biases just happened to match reality in one instance.   Broken clock is right twice a day and all that.

edit: double post.

Funnily enough, I've actually been thinking the opposite, that The Elder Scrolls would benefit from borrowing from a few of Zelda's gameplay mechanics. Particularly the fighting mechanics, as I'm finding that the combat in Skyrim is easily the game's weakest area (I say 'easily' not because combat is bad per se, but because the rest of the game feels much more compelling and fresh).

Also, while dungeons and castles litter the (awesome) world of Skyrim, thus far (25 hours in...), they're very different from Zelda temples and dungeons, and that's just fine. Skyrim's are much more straight forward (less focus of puzzles, more focus on action and combat) than Zelda's, but that's fine.

I've been seeing a few posts around gamrConnect recently that have been comparing the two as some sort of competition, or even suggesting that one game makes the other obsolete... and I really don't see how people can come to these conclusions. Both games have their similarities, sure, but they are also very different from one another and can co-exists rather nicely. I'm so incredibly glad I bought Skyrim, and am enjoying it immensely, but come November 20th (darn you Europeans!), I'll also be buying Skyward Sword and playing the stuffing out of that.

Looks like I win this round Malstrom (and e-mailer that spelled "they're" wrong), I get the best of both worlds.