By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamespot gives The Legend of Zelda:Skyward sword a.........

handlebars said:
As a former GameSpot employee, I thought I'd offer my perspective, since I know what the reviewers go through. Tom knows his stuff, is professional, and takes his role seriously. I'm also confident that, for such a big and beloved franchise, his score was thoroughly reviewed by his editors, and he had to convince him that he was right. To put it another way, he would have had to build a certain amount of consensus around his score. GameSpot puts the reviewer's name at the end of its reviews because they want to make clear that the review is the *site's* opinion, it just happened to be written by a single person.

Most of the people posting here haven't played the game yet. If you haven't and you are calling Tom an idiot, you're the definition of a fanboy - there's no other explanation. I personally love Zelda, don't care if it's formulaic, and will pick up this game regardless of the review. I expect/hope to disagree with Tom's opinion. But I'm willing to consider his perspective valid.

The world doesn't have to agree and I think the industry's monotony is part of the problem, I wish there was *less* of a herd mentality. The review world also agreed on GTA IV as a masterpiece, I thought it was interesting but wasn't fun, and there's no way I would've given it the scores others gave it - I think they got sucked up in the hype. Other M also got solid reviews and then suddenly people woke up and decided it wasn't that great. That can happen to any game - and until we play it, we don't know.

As for GS giving the original Zelda a 7.2, that's not quite true. They were reviewing it on the Wii version, and judging it by today's standards. If you wipe away nostalgia and play that game as a modern one, it's hard to imagine giving it a higher score than that.

While I do not know of you I will treat what you say as equal to someone I did know of so please keep that in mind.

1) This has been my problem from the beginning. People claim to, "know their stuff" when in reality they are far less qualified to be doing this than a freelance journalist. The fact that he has an editor to pass this through and convince the score is adequate makes this worse. Thee editor must know the game does not use IR pointer controls. There are too many people out there that MUST know this information and therefore, must question thee integrity of his work from a factual basis alone. It seems this was not addressed before the review was turned over to the public and this makes me angry at more than just the person that wrote/conducted the review. As a freelance journalist with two editors for my work, when I write something that is even QUESTIONABLE, my editors are all over me about it. Like you said of the people at Gamespot, I have to prove my fact(s) in question to my editors before they even finishing editing it let alone send it out. As this review made it out in context, I have to assume the failures go past the person reviewing the game and onto thee editors and other staff as well.

2) Even if I have never played the game, watching a review of that calibur and critizing it does not make me a fanboy. If a person is contributing lies and passing them off as fact, I do not have to play the game to know that person is lying. So when I call someone an idiot (which I have not), maybe I am not a fanboy, but that person is actually an idiot.

3) I agree with this sentiment. I believe most people will. The problem again arises when a game is marked low over complete lies and bias slander. A review is supposed to be objective and if it is and the concerns are legit, then people (most) tend to be reasonable. I know I do. A perfect example of this is when Other M was being reviewed and the scores were a little spread out. I was making it clear to as many people as possible that most reviews had the same complaints and how it affected each person and the weight of their experience with the game will vary. What you may not see as a big deal may be a big deal to the next person. And that is why today, the general feeling about the game is still all over the board.

4) I will leave this one alone as I could go on and on over this one. I will agree to disagree with you on this point.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
handlebars said:
As a former GameSpot employee, I thought I'd offer my perspective, since I know what the reviewers go through. Tom knows his stuff, is professional, and takes his role seriously. I'm also confident that, for such a big and beloved franchise, his score was thoroughly reviewed by his editors, and he had to convince him that he was right. To put it another way, he would have had to build a certain amount of consensus around his score. GameSpot puts the reviewer's name at the end of its reviews because they want to make clear that the review is the *site's* opinion, it just happened to be written by a single person.

Most of the people posting here haven't played the game yet. If you haven't and you are calling Tom an idiot, you're the definition of a fanboy - there's no other explanation. I personally love Zelda, don't care if it's formulaic, and will pick up this game regardless of the review. I expect/hope to disagree with Tom's opinion. But I'm willing to consider his perspective valid.

The world doesn't have to agree and I think the industry's monotony is part of the problem, I wish there was *less* of a herd mentality. The review world also agreed on GTA IV as a masterpiece, I thought it was interesting but wasn't fun, and there's no way I would've given it the scores others gave it - I think they got sucked up in the hype. Other M also got solid reviews and then suddenly people woke up and decided it wasn't that great. That can happen to any game - and until we play it, we don't know.

As for GS giving the original Zelda a 7.2, that's not quite true. They were reviewing it on the Wii version, and judging it by today's standards. If you wipe away nostalgia and play that game as a modern one, it's hard to imagine giving it a higher score than that.

While I do not know of you I will treat what you say as equal to someone I did know of so please keep that in mind.

1) This has been my problem from the beginning. People claim to, "know their stuff" when in reality they are far less qualified to be doing this than a freelance journalist. The fact that he has an editor to pass this through and convince the score is adequate makes this worse. Thee editor must know the game does not use IP pointer controls. There are too many people out there that MUST know this information and therefore, must question thee integrity of his work from a factual basis alone. It seems this was not addressed before thee interview was turned over to the public and this makes me angry at more than just the person that wrote/conducted the review. As a freelane journalist with two editors for my work, when I write something that is even QUESTIONABLE, my editors are all over me about it. Like you said of the people at Gamespot, I have to prove my fact(s) in question to my editors before they even finishing editing it let alone send it out. As this review made it out in context, I have to assume the failures go past the person reviewing the game and onto thee editors and other staff as well.

2) Even if I have never played the game, watching a review of that calibur and critizing it does not make me a fanboy. If a person is contributing lies and passing them off as fact, I do not have to play the game to know that person is lying. So when I call someone an idiot (which I have not), maybe I am not a fanboy, but that person is actually an idiot.

3) I agree with this sentiment. I believe most people will. The problem again arises when a game is marked low over complete lies and bias slander. A review is supposed to be objective and if it is and the concerns are legit, then people (most) tend to be reasonable. I know I do. A perfect example of this is when Other M was being reviewed and the scores were a little spread out. I was making it clear to as many people as possible that most reviews had the same complaints and how it affected each person and the weight of their experience with the game will vary. What you may not see as a big deal may be a big deal to the next person. And that is why today, the general feeling about the game is still all over the board.

4) I will leave this one alone as I could go on and on over this one. I will agree to disagree with you on this point.

Great post!

Oh and btw I was the one calling him an idiot but now I have too say that there are more idiots at Gamespot for not knowing how too do their jobs! Guess this makes me a fanboy :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Linka?

Roma said:

Linka?

No, Link-et.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Well, games are expensive and there are SO MANY coming out, so filtering stuff by reading reviews helps ME, but if they are misleading....I suddenly feels so...lonely....

Greetings,

Emme

PXLRY

Around the Network

I hope that none of the guys who made and participated in the "Uncharted 3 gets "low" score, meltdown ensues" thread are in here complaining now... I thought only PS3 owners raged when their exclusives got "low" scores.
Why do people care so much about reviews anyway? The meta (for those who bother to think about such things) is still really, really good as well.
This is of no consequence to your enjoyment of the game, not in the least.

Do what I did a long time ago; screw reviews, decide for yourself.

Pavolink said:
Roma said:

Linka?

No, Link-et.

WT!??

I posted a video of a girl dressed as Link and playing Zelda songs with a violin… that’s where the name “Linka” came to mind :P

Mummelmann said:
I hope that none of the guys who made and participated in the "Uncharted 3 gets "low" score, meltdown ensues" thread are in here complaining now... I thought only PS3 owners raged when their exclusives got "low" scores.
Why do people care so much about reviews anyway? The meta (for those who bother to think about such things) is still really, really good as well.
This is of no consequence to your enjoyment of the game, not in the least.

Do what I did a long time ago; screw reviews, decide for yourself.

Could just be my biases, but i think we're handling this one better...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Torillian said:
morenoingrato said:
@Wagram:
Valid complains?
He said the game doesn't use IR pointer well. The game doesn't use it at all!!

That's a case of poor research, but it doesn't change his experienece, is your opinion on a burger you don't like invalid if you don't know the method by which the cooks prepared it?  

I don't think if he knew the game used a different sensing method for aiming that he would have had a different experience trying to use it.  

Before we all get into the "you're just being negative" stuff this is the only point of the debate I am arguing against, I do not care about the rest of the review or defending it, just this point about how if you don't know how a game senses your actions your experience is invalid.

It depends on what he was using it for. If it's just something like menu selection, then there's really not that much of a difference between the control methods. He might have a point there.

However, there would be fundamental differences between bigger uses such as items. Something like flying would be completely changed if you thought you pointed to where you wanted to go instead of subtly shifting the Wiimote around. Since it wasn't being used right, it would appear clunky and poorly implemented. If that's the case, a better analogy would be you shove the burger up your nose and then complain how it tasted terrible.

Either way, they removed that part of the review.

namdo said:
Wasn't it Gamespot that marked Metroid Prime 3's score down because the controls were perfect. I remember it something like "Streamlined controls make the game too easy" . I think Metroid Prime 3 was the first Wii game that got FPS controls right. This game might not be perfect but there is absolutely no way it is a 7.5.

I remember this.   The controls are too good.  The game must be docked points.

Honestly though, I don't care what anyone scores a video game since I myself decide whether I like them or not.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger