By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

MRKs said:
snfr said:

44. Super Smash Bros. (N64)

Probably my most played local multiplayer game ever, or at least one of the Top3. Of course Melee and Brawl were just as great as this, but I spent much more time with the first SSB.

Completely agree, the other 2 were great but this one was simply amazing, i played it a lot even when my other N64 controllers were broken (yeah I played SSB alone and had fun too xD)

I also had fun playing SSB alone ^_^. Actually, I think I played Melee longer alone than with friends.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

Smeags i finally made my list ^_^ sorry for taking so long!

ive just posted title names and the platform played on so far but will add descriptions there and here in the future. Hopefully il add pics too! Some info is missing on a few games will add the correct details when i have more time.

So far my list is looking like this:

50. Borderlands (PC)
49. Killzone 2 (PS3)
48. Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)
47. Snake (nokia 3310)
46. Contra ()
45. Quake 3 (PC)
44. Deus Ex Human Revolution (PC)
44. Warhammer 40 000 : Dawn of War (PC)
43. Bioshock (PC)

By the way its bloody diffucult to make a favorites list of just 50! Funnily enough i was wondering if i even played that many games and then when i actually got down to making the list, i had a prelimenary list of close to a 100 lol.

By the way if any1 knows what system contra was initially released on let me know so that i can edit it :) A lot of my favorites are from when i was small and i didnt really take not of names, platforms etc.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I have updated my list to include 44th and 43rd:
44 - GC - Mario Kart: Double Dash (Nintendo)
43 - GC - Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (Activision)

(Yeah apparently Goldeneye Wii wasn't the first Activision game I bought, as they published the GC rogue squadrons in Europe. It took me a while to find any mention of Activision on though, they only show up in the back of the instruction booklet (presumably in the game credits too)

My #43 is Player Manager 2000 on the PsOne, a game I'm sure no one here has heard of because it's to do with "Soccer" and to make matters worse, it's a managerial simulator!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

#43 Prince of persia: The sands of time played on Gamecube, released 2003

This is the most memorable and fun to play Prince of Persia game to me. A great blend of exploration and environmental puzzles get you climbing up to dizzying heights. It still features the best use of a rewind feature which partly inspired the excellent puzzle platformer Braid. The locales were all breathtakingly beautiful, the character animation top notch, and it all tied together with a lovely musical score.
Only the combat lagged behind the other elements, but that was never the essence of prince of persia anyway. Too bad that the following games only focussed more on the combat instead of less.
The 2008 prince of persia focussed more on the acrobatics again with great flow while moving around the levels. It featured beautiful dreamy visuals as well, however the less lineair nature of that game made it loose some of it's magic and turned it more into a simple set of fetch quests.

List

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

I do respond to your games! I said Metroid Prime was probably my favorite shooter (It's much higher on my list) and one of my favorite gamecube games, and that Kirby too was also a great choice. Don't want to expand on Metroid Prime too much because it's much higher on my list

For Super Star, I'm not as huge of a fan as others, but other Kirby games do make my list pretty high. and I just realized......I may have missed 1 really fun Kirby.

I can easily name a top 100 games too, in fact I'd rather do that. So many great games just didn't make my cut off.

Also 3 Zelda's, but non Ocarina of Time? hm. Well OoT isn't my favorite either, but I still rank it above almost any console Zelda.

Actually, you'll find that not a single N64 game is on my list, and only a few PS1 games are.  That generation sucked balls (had the technology to make games 3D, but not the ability to make them look, feel, or play like anything more than ass).  It was that transitional period and I hated it. Zelda was no better, though that was admittedly more the fault of the console than the game itself.  Hell, the Smash Brothers Series is amongst my all-time favorites, and I simply cannot return to the original Smash Brothers. 

You are a graphic whore... (not to insult, nost people are).

I think the very opposite of you, N64 expanded the limitations of gaming, and gave Nintendo the ability to add innovation and quality to all their games. I think the best Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and damn well Star Fox titles were all made on the N64. Since then Nintendo has just tried to make games that matched up in quality, only only now with some of their Wii franchises are the pseudo succeeding.

However I don't have and PS1 games on the list. Final Fantasy was best in 2D, and I never played FFIX, Front Mission, or Chrono Cross on PS1. Only Ps1 games I actually look back and would even add to my top 100 are Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal, but TMB and GT3/4 are the best of those franchises.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA no.  

I am not a graphic whore, I never was and never will be and hate graphics whores because it's their kind who are responsible for so many of our games being more about style than substance.  But jesus dude, did you not read the part where I said "...feel, and play..."?  I was very careful with my wording so people wouldn't just go 'lolgraphicwhore'  and be done with it.  The games controlled horribly (seriously, try playing them after playing an SNES game or Gamecube game), and everything was just...annoying. Camera issues galore, control problems, tonnes of issues with polish and content, and to top off all my complaints in those departments....the games all looked like complete and utter shit. the graphics were, of course, just one part that sucked.  

What did we get for sacrificing controls, gameplay, content, depth, and graphics?  better sounds and a third dimension.  There's a reason I'm playing more games like LIMBO and Outland as opposed to buying into the hype of games like Battlefield or Crysis which sell themsleves on their  supposedly amazing graphics that I don't give a shit about.  

You'll also notice that my most loved system is the SNES.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

43 - Megaman 9 (Wii, PS3, 360)

I don't even know what to say about this one other than the fact that, for all intents and purposes, it's the proper spiritual sequel to Megaman 2, what was once considered my alltime favorite game before I really sat down to compare (spoiler alert, Megaman 2 is VERY high on my list). It's got the same mechanics, same graphics, same structure, you name it. this is what a sequel should be, not filled to the brim with useless powerup. Plus I have this bit of pride knowing I was able to beat the game before my friend, who is a super megaman nut and went on to place in the top 1% on the leaderboards. Great way to cater to nostalgia. Nintendo, I have some lessons for you!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

43 - Dead Nation (ps3)

Nice co-op game

43. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)

GTA games are great (usually) for various reasons, you can progress through the story and enjoy the regularly OTT missions and characters, or you can just drive around the city with the soundtrack blaring whilst causing as much chaos as you possibly can. Add in the fact that it's like a love letter to the 80's, and with some more than obvious tributes to Scarface on this occasion, and you've got a fantastic game to just fool around in.

VGChartz

Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Runa216 said:

Actually, you'll find that not a single N64 game is on my list, and only a few PS1 games are.  That generation sucked balls (had the technology to make games 3D, but not the ability to make them look, feel, or play like anything more than ass).  It was that transitional period and I hated it. Zelda was no better, though that was admittedly more the fault of the console than the game itself.  Hell, the Smash Brothers Series is amongst my all-time favorites, and I simply cannot return to the original Smash Brothers. 

You are a graphic whore... (not to insult, nost people are).

I think the very opposite of you, N64 expanded the limitations of gaming, and gave Nintendo the ability to add innovation and quality to all their games. I think the best Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and damn well Star Fox titles were all made on the N64. Since then Nintendo has just tried to make games that matched up in quality, only only now with some of their Wii franchises are the pseudo succeeding.

However I don't have and PS1 games on the list. Final Fantasy was best in 2D, and I never played FFIX, Front Mission, or Chrono Cross on PS1. Only Ps1 games I actually look back and would even add to my top 100 are Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal, but TMB and GT3/4 are the best of those franchises.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA no.  

I am not a graphic whore, I never was and never will be and hate graphics whores because it's their kind who are responsible for so many of our games being more about style than substance.  But jesus dude, did you not read the part where I said "...feel, and play..."?  I was very careful with my wording so people wouldn't just go 'lolgraphicwhore'  and be done with it.  The games controlled horribly (seriously, try playing them after playing an SNES game or Gamecube game), and everything was just...annoying. Camera issues galore, control problems, tonnes of issues with polish and content, and to top off all my complaints in those departments....the games all looked like complete and utter shit. the graphics were, of course, just one part that sucked.  

What did we get for sacrificing controls, gameplay, content, depth, and graphics?  better sounds and a third dimension.  There's a reason I'm playing more games like LIMBO and Outland as opposed to buying into the hype of games like Battlefield or Crysis which sell themsleves on their  supposedly amazing graphics that I don't give a shit about.  

You'll also notice that my most loved system is the SNES.  

But the N64 Nintendo games feel almost the same as the Wii ones. Ever since Nintendo debuted many of their franchises in 3D, they have seen little change. Metroid Prime 3 is no different then 1, Super Mario Galaxy is almost the same concept as Super Mario 64, Zelda Twilight Princess is nearly identical with game mechanics as Ocarina of Time, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Mario Party, they are all immitations of N64 (or GCN for Metroid) titles.

I disagree with you about game controls, GCN Nintendo titles felt dumbed down, and SNES is fun as hell, but 2D, so I can't compare controls. Super Mario RPG controls, however, compared to Super Mario 64 are pretty poor.

Oh man you are like in bizarro land. I never had issues with Camera angles for N64 games. PS1 games year, but not N64. Polish and content lacking? Mario Party has gone to shit after N64, Mario Kart 64 only recently is beaten in content (not quality IMO though), Skyward Sword is no longer then Ocarina of Time, and gets many of its gameplay mechanics from, and I'm sorry, but the gameplay in Smash Bros hasn't changed, there is just more content.

Controls, Gameplay, content and depth were not sacrificed. Gamecube they were sacrificed. Mario Kart, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4-7, and Zelda (Wind Waker) all went down in value because Nintendo wanted to make them visually appealing and take the franchises is ridiculous directions.

You and I......we have complete opposite opinions about Nintendo. for 3D I feel only Wii exclusives are comparable to the quality of the N64 games, and even then, I'd much rather play Mario Kart on N64 then Wii, and I still do. I mean the Wii Mario Kart doesn;t even have 2 player Grand Prix mode. How am I suppose to unlock content? By Myself? Who plays Mario Kart alone?

Also BTW, SNES is my favorite system too. Best quality titles on this system (but not the mainstream titles, never liked 2D Mario or Zelda on SNES). However I don't have too many SNES games on my list, but they are high up.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results