By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

Machina said:
Runa216 said:

Do you hate games or something?  No game that has unsatisfying combat, is devoid of challenging enemies, most items are useless, and apaprently many more complaints in your eyes, has ANY place in a top anything list JUST because of the soundtrack. 

Some people are just more critical than others. I could tear all of the games on my list outside of my top 10 to shreds. Heck, there are only 3 games on my list that I'd struggle to criticise heavily, everything else is riddled with flaws.

@Korppi - 'I just haven't played that many games that I truly adore' - same here, it's a rare but wonderful feeling when it does happen though.

There are only a few games on my top 50 I find it hard to find faults with. Heck I could tear my nr 1 to shreds too if I wanted too, and I have wanted to at times. Great games are the ones you forgive their faults and keep on playing. For example Skyrim has tons of issues and the worst menu system I have seen in a while, but I can't stop playing it. (Probably won't make my top 50 next year though)

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

#44. Blast Corps (N64)

This is one game that shows a good story is not necessary to make a great game. There's a truck full of nuclear material on the loose and instead of trying to stop it by blowing off the tires or have it roll in deep mud (that would work), the authorities have decided that the best course of action is to destroy every building in it's path.

It makes no sense at all but you get to destroy buildings using a wide variety of vehicles going from a rocket firing motorcycle (very safe around nuclear waste), a bulldozer, a dump truck (that requires some practice to use) and a flying robot that just tramples buildings.

The game tons of fun and is over quickly but the time trials keep you coming back for more and more. Also, did I tell you that you get to destroy buildings?

Hellz yeah!

It and Wave Race Blue Storm are for me the two most balanced games in terms of difficulty curves.... ie it seems to take a similar amount of time to move on with the game because even though it becomes progressively more difficult, the extra practice from doing easier levels/tracks means I just plodded along, never finding it too easy, nor too frustrating.
I'll admit after the 2nd or 3rd time I was told to "now do it faster" I was a bit annoyed, but the challenge was still just within grasp.

I need to stop putting college first. anyyywaaaayyy.

#45. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - I think this game gets so much hate because of its multiplayer and while I think that the multiplayer is good, What really made this game awesome was the spec ops. Just playing those missions with my cousin was just so much fun and I didn't think that it would be so much fun. I haven't even played MW3 yet but I know I'm gonna buy it just to play those spec ops missions with my cousin.

#44 Metroid Prime (Gamecube) - I never was interested in the metroid series until the original super smash bros. on N64. I played a little bit of fussion, but I only played it for a short time. Going to costco one day I remember seeing Prime in the gamecube sectoin and I thought it had such a cool cover. I got it for $19 and soon I was enthralled in such a unique first person adventure. I loved how they pushed the focus for exploration and how fun the boss fights are. I think they got it right when keeping the story completely optional by scanning. I thought that all this game needed for it to be perfect was a multiplayer mode, but as I found out in MP2, that was a hope I wish was never realized.

#43 No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (wii) - I think this game is 200% balls to the wall. It had everything that made the original game so much fun and took out the stuff the were not. While the boss fights are fun and unique, I think the original fights are still more intriguing. All in all, this game is a worthy sequel and shows how awesome weird thing can be.

#42 SBCG4AP (Wii) - My god is this game fan service in its purest form. It gives all its fans what they have always wanted and more. It's so hilarious and while some episodes are more funny than others, it just shows me how much I love the homestar series. If they ever make a second season (I really hope they do) I'm buying them all they days they come out.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Time for me to catch up! :P

#44: Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
Release Date: June 23, 1991

If you know anything about me, then you know that I love Sonic the Hedgehog. I think the franchise holds some incredible titles in its stables. But here's an interesting fact: the original Sonic the Hedgehog was not my first Sonic the Hedgehog. In fact, I played the game much later on than I care to admit. So playing it after its predecessors brought some disadvantages for the game, like missing the Sonic Spin (introduced in Sonic the Hedgehog 2). Still, the game showed why Sonic had become such a fan favorite, thanks to great platforming, awesome speed, imaginitive level design, and some sweet tunes. Sonic the Hedgehog started something special, and it's easy to see why. Plus, I think it's neat that my first Sonic in this list is the one that started it all.

Favorite Level: Green Hill Zone
Favorite Robotnik: Wrecking Ball Robotnik. Such a classic.

#43: Rock Band 3 (Wii)
Release Date: October 26, 2010

It's been interesting to watch the rise and the fall of the "band" music genre. I finally gave the genre a shot with Guitar Hero III: Warriors of Rock, and I loved every moment of it. It was great to really feel like you were playing some fantastic Rock and Roll music, and the good times kept coming with spin-offs, seques, and even a competitor (Rock Band). There were so many titles releasing that the genre finally imploded on itself... but not before letting loose Rock Band 3. Whether it was creating my own band member (girls who rock... rock!), or jamming with my family and friends (Four siblings, four band members. Perfect match.), the good times were plentiful. Even now the game continues to get support with new songs, and I continue jamming. With Rock Band 3, the genre lived its life like many rockers did, burning out bright rather than fading away.

Favorite Instrument: Bass
Favorite New Song: Fix You (Coldplay)

#42: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GameBoy Advance)
Release Date: June 10, 2001

I don't know why I wanted to get this game, because at that point in time, I never played (or really heard about) a Castlevania game. But buy it I did, and it led to one of the strangest events I've encountered with video game purchases: When I opened up the box (still shrink wrapped), instead of the cartridge, there were two packets of Taco Bell hot sauce. So after returning the sauces for an actual Circle of the Moon game, I plugged it in and turned on the lights (not because it was scary, but because the original GameBoy Advance screen wasn't back lit). It was a good day, because this game showed me the greatness of the Castlevania series (at least, the Iga-vania style ones). A combination of awesome atmopshere, encouraging of exploration, great action enhanced by RPG-style mechanics, and fantastic music music led to a game that was super fun and very satisfying. Like I said, it was a good day, as I had become a Castlevania fan.

Favorite Side Weapon: Cross-Boomerang (Duh.)
Favorite Boss: Adramelech

42: Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA. God I love this game!! It's so geeky and wrong on every level but I love it!!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

Will be updating the rest of the mini Reviews later tonight...

Former something....

#42 Beyond good & evil played on Gamecube, released 2003

A great action adventure game with strong characters, beautiful artistic design and an engaging story. It created a very believable fantasy world with a lot of unique creatures to fight. I love the variety in the gameplay and all the places to explore. It was a blast to play although I still haven't quite forgiven it for the final boss fight, randomly changing directional controls on you while you are frantically dodging attacks. It was one of the most frustrating boss fights and if it were any lesser game I would not have bothered to finish it.

List

Machina said:

#42 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

This probably won't be on my list by the end of the generation. I think the Uncharted games, like a lot of the most popular franchises on the HD consoles nowadays, are very much 'of their time' and won't hold up well in future generations - by then the things it does well (graphics, varied settings, set-pieces, personality and characterisation, and fluid character movements) will be standard in every action/adventure game, and its shallowness in the gameplay department will stand out like a sore thumb, but right now it does manage to make it into my top 50.

You don't sound too enthralled by your review...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

42. Half Life 2 (As part of The Orange Box on PS3)

I came very late to this game, as it was first released in 2004 on PC but I didn't play it for the first time until August of this year, when I picked up The Orange Box for £10. Perhaps, if I'd played it before then, this game would have been much higher in my list, because aspects of the game that probably seemed fresh at the time seem fairly standard today. That doesn't lessen the experience though, because it's still a fantastic game in its own right. In fact with modern games becoming increasingly cinematic, it was refreshing to play a game like this that didn't really rely on cutscenes to tell its story.

The game obviously has a variety of weapons, but the Gravity Gun stands out above the others, be it in the early part of the game where you try to kill numerous zombies all at once with a well aimed saw blade, or later when it becomes supercharged and you can lift Combine soldiers into the air and fling them at other enemies.

VGChartz

#44) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64/GCN/Wii/3DS)

The only things that differentiate Ocarina from Twilight Princess are that the items aren't quite as useless, and the difficulty is a bit higher. And I really don't feel like writing a full paragraph about virtually the same game twice in a row.

#43) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)

It turns out "entertaining unskippable cutscene" and "fun turn-based combat" aren't oxymora after all. Huh.

#42) Metal Slug (NG/PS/PS2/PS3/PSP/SAT/Wii/PC)

Before there were alien invasions, zombie apocalypses or fucking dragon grim reapers with skulls on their chest, there was this. A simple game about a guy, (sometimes accompanied by another guy) armed with a pistol, some grenades and a trusty RAWKET LAWNCHAIR, fighting to rescue half-naked bearded men with flamethrowers in their pants from a general that looks like the lovechild of Hussein and Stalin.

The game had some serious frame-rate issues, but some of the sequels it spawned are among the best things ever. Anywhere.

Phew.