By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

TWRoO said:
Michael-5 said:
TWRoO said:

I apologise for not being able to afford a video game console when I was 5.

Should have put your work pants on and got a job, they need little people to clean sewers you know..... lol, no worries, but some of the games are phenomenal. Like I said I beat Chrono Trigger on a ROM during the 6th gen, and it;s one of my favorite games.

If you honestly can't go back, give Mario Kart Wii, Street Fighter IV, and Donkey Kong Country Wii a try. They aren't that different from SNES era games.

Mario Kart Wii, what with being awesome, will naturally be high on my list, and I have played a little Super Mario Kart... they are similar in the way that they are kart racing games from the Mario universe, but otherwise they play very differently, mode 7 may have been a good thing back in the early 90s, but once you have played in 3D it's weird going back, as I found out with F-Zero.
Fighting games are probably my least favourite type of game, and I don't have a machine capable of playing SFIV anyway.
Can't say I am interested in DKCWii either.

Gievn what Rol has mentioned, I may be giving Super Metroid a go in the future, as it's a full 2D game it doesn't have the same issue as zelda's psuedo 3D, which is lack of control (which reminds me, why hasn't the d-pad died yet... it's not needed for games anymore)

Is Mode 7 a game?

Actually yea, Super Metroid is also a great game, and it's controls are very fast paced. If you played Other M, then you can expect the same 2D platforming. The only drawback is you can only aim in 8 directions.

I play to go back and beat Super Metroid too, out of sheer Metroid fanboyism. I love Metroid Fusion, and I did love Super, just never beat it.

Man, I'm actually really tempted to finally start playing my Wii single player now. Fire Emblem is first on my list though, or Metroid Prime 3 (which I also haven't beaten).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

45. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

People are going to hate me for putting the game so low, but for me, this is where it belongs. This is probably the most fundamental 3 dimensional game ever made. A lot of the gameplay controls and camera controls implemented in this game have been immitated and used by almost every 3D franchise since (Particularly Action/Adventure games and Platformers). Ocarina of Time represents probably the best quality game of its time, and probably still represents the best level design in any Adventure game to date. Every Zelda since this game has been measured in quality to this title, and all have failed except for maybe Skyward Sword (which still gets many of it's gameplay mechanics from this title), and there is a reason for that. This is the best game made for the N64 in terms of quality and content, it's just not my favorite. Not even my favorite Zelda.

P.S. Is my #50 Drakengard banner a fair size? I said after my most recent 5 games I will shrink the banners significantly, so it's fair. Is that good? I plan to keep that size as well as the size I used for CS Source for most of my games. I'm on page 5 of the official thread.

Link

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

#45 Need for speed: Hot pursuit played on ps3, released 2010

I've always loved the hot pursuit games on ps1 and ps2 and wondered why it took so long for a contender to come along not being satisfied with the disappointing NFS Most wanted. It finally did and what a game it is. Great visuals, terrific sound design and tons of high speed action. The only negative I have against it is the lack of variety in the tracks. I miss racing around the world and on fantasy tracks which were always a strong point of the older nfs series. However it makes it up with great online support, beautifully done night and rain racing and plenty of modes to keep you busy for a long time.

List

45. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (PSN)

You know, Pac-Man is a classic, and still a great one. Somehow I enjoyed this even  way more than the classic Pac-Man game(s). It was fast-paced and incredibly addicting. I guess I've never spend so much time with Pac-Man as with the Championship Edition DX.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

RolStoppable said:
TWRoO said:

Gievn what Rol has mentioned, I may be giving Super Metroid a go in the future, as it's a full 2D game it doesn't have the same issue as zelda's psuedo 3D, which is lack of control (which reminds me, why hasn't the d-pad died yet... it's not needed for games anymore)

The d-pad isn't obsolete yet, because it gives you higher precision in 2D games than an analog stick. If you had ever really bothered with 2D platformers you would know that pulling off pixel-perfect jumps and landings is much easier with a d-pad than a stick.

If you mean having to adjust left and right in mid-air, then at least in modern 2D games a control stick allows for varying degrees of movement left and right, rather than having to tap left or right on a pad. I will admit when playing retro games with a stick, where you have to push it to the outer edge to get a response, would be more difficult. (And in the games that use d-up as jump, it would feel odd using control-stick-up... but then that function could easily be transferred to a normal button.

And in terms of d-pad replacement, I was more thinking along the N64s c-buttons if that makes it any better for you. Most of the time nowadays the d-pad is used as an extra 4 buttons anyway, and in those few times it is needed for 2D directional stuff (mostly playing retro games) 4 seperate buttons are just comfier. Why d-pads hurt the thumb is probably more due to how small d-pads are compared to the past, but because they are used so little it makes perfect senseTM that it takes up less space and a less prominent position.

Around the Network

45. Lylat Wars (aka Star Fox 64)

Lylat Wars was apparently inspired by Thunderbirds, and has some more than obvious Star Wars influences. I loved both when I was younger, so it's no surprise that I loved this game when it came out. On the surface it appears a relatively short game, as you can comfortably playthrough it in one sitting, but alternate paths that open up new levels give the game more longevity, especially as you can't beat the games real boss by simply taking the easy path. If you need proof of this games legacy, just go to google and type in do a barrel roll...

VGChartz

RolStoppable said:
Michael-5 said:

45. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

People are going to hate me for putting the game so low, but for me, this is where it belongs. This is probably the most fundamental 3 dimensional game ever made. A lot of the gameplay controls and camera controls implemented in this game have been immitated and used by almost every platforming franchise since. Ocarina of Time represents probably the best quality game of its time, and probably still represents the best level design in a platformer to date. Every Zelda since this game has been measured in quality to this title, and all have failed except for maybe Skyward Sword (which still gets many of it's gameplay mechanics from this title), and there is a reason for that. This is the best game made for the N64, it's just not my favorite. Not even my favorite Zelda.

Some people should get disqualified from making a list and you are one of them. Calling Ocarina of Time a platformer, that's just unacceptable.

Mode 7 describes a hardware feature that allows to freely rotate a 2D plain on all three axis. This was the most competent way to create a 3D feel to games before the rise of polygons.

Oh right, Action Adventure, well still a lot of the game mechanics this game made are still being mimiced in all 3d game types. Platformers and Adction Adventure games alike.

RolStoppable said:
TWRoO said:

The d-pad isn't obsolete yet, because it gives you higher precision in 2D games than an analog stick. If you had ever really bothered with 2D platformers you would know that pulling off pixel-perfect jumps and landings is much easier with a d-pad than a stick.

Actually an analog stick has it's advantages. It's difficult to shoot at angles in a platformer, and modern 2D platformers (say Shadow Complex) have more then 8 directional movement. Super Metroid for instance, isn't bad with an analog stick, you no longer have to hold a shoulder button to shoot diagnally.

My #45 went to Road Rash (Gen). A series that EA should have never abandoned. They could have made it more open world and even better than what they built on during the 16 bit era. I am tempted to get the GBA Road Rash even though I boycotted EA (going on about 14 or 15 years now). I suppose buying the game used after all these years doesn't help them one bit.  I actually bought SimCity 2000 for GBA (not that good compared to the PC version) and forgot EA had the SimCity rights (should have remembered about Maxis being bought).  On the front box of the GBA game there isn't any EA logo and just the DSI Games logo.  The EA logo was on the back.

milkyjoe said:

45. Lylat Wars (aka Star Fox 64)

Lylat Wars was apparently inspired by Thunderbirds, and has some more than obvious Star Wars influences. I loved both when I was younger, so it's no surprise that I loved this game when it came out. On the surface it appears a relatively short game, as you can comfortably playthrough it in one sitting, but alternate paths that open up new levels give the game more longevity, especially as you can't beat the games real boss by simply taking the easy path. If you need proof of this games legacy, just go to google and type in do a barrel roll...

Do a Barrel roll!!!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?