By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

#48: Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
Release Date: February 28, 1999

Heroes of Might and Magic III was one of the first strategy games I played, and is also one of the most unique. It combines both elements of turned based and real-time strategy elements to create a fun and refreshing take on the genre. But the part I loved the most was all of the different races that you could play as. From the demonic Inferno to the swampy Fortress, each of the eight city types had unique creatures to train and battle with. Finding gold and other precious items to build up your city was a satisfying and fun affair, and forming a great army was always brought a sense of pride. It was so easy to be sucked into the deep gameplay and strategy of the game that hours would pass by in an instant. There's so many reasons to fall in love with this game, and for that Heroes of Might and Magic III earns the #48 spot on my list.

Favorite City-State: Necropolis
Favorite Creature: Ghost Dragon

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
SvennoJ said:

#48 Master of Orion played on PC, released 1993

One of, if not the best turn based strategy game set in space. It had it all, 10 alien species, lots of worlds to colonize, good diplomacy, interesting tech trees and well crafted combat. It was ahead of its time. You could build your own ships with the different technologies you discover. This opened a whole world of strategy, what kind of lasers or shields to use, do I build fewer expensive heavy ships or a lot of weak fast ships to counter the different strategies of each alien race. I still feel guilty about all those planets I bombed from orbit with biological weapons. Master of Orion 2 was just as awesome with vastly improved graphics, the third one however missed the mark.

Seems like I would probably enjoy this game.  I love turn based strategy games and I love space.  I have never played a turn based game that was based in space.  I'll have to look into maybe getting #2.  Perhaps, Steam might have the game but maybe it is too old.  I'll have to check once I get a refurbished computer for Christmas.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2

$5.99 for both for xp, vista and win 7.

Damnit, i forgot to do it earlier today. My list is back at my apartment. I'll get it later

I bet i'm the only person who mentioned PSO Ep III, though

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Smeags said:

Heroes of Might and Magic III was one of the first strategy games I played, and is also one of the most unique. It combines both elements of turned based and real-time strategy elements to create a fun and refreshing take on the genre. But the part I loved the most was all of the different races that you could play as. From the demonic Inferno to the swampy Fortress, each of the eight city types had unique creatures to train and battle with. Finding gold and other precious items to build up your city was a satisfying and fun affair, and forming a great army was always an empowering affair. It was so easy to be sucked into the deep gameplay and strategy of the game that hours would pass by in an instant. There's so many reasons to fall in love with this game, and for that Heroes of Might and Magic III earns the #48 spot on my list.

Excellent choice, I love the whole might and magic series. The rpg games were very addictive, you got so powerful in the end you could kill everyone in a village with one spell :) No respawns, fun times clearing every enemy in the whole game.

The heroes strategy games spin off were even more addictive. Many hours wasted :) The variation in the different races and city styles was indeed one of it's strongest point.

48. Plants VS. Zombies (PC/ios)
I think Smeags and TruckoSaurus have pretty much covered everything that makes this game great. The Jalapeno and the Tangle Kelp are my favorite plants, while the Zomboni and the Zombie Yeti are my favorite zombies.

Warrior of Light #66

"I'm not illiterate, my parents were married!"

3DS FC: 2878 9589 2016

Around the Network

48 - From Dust (pc)

I'll probably have forgotten about this next year, but we need more of these Simulation games these days.

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:
Damnit, i forgot to do it earlier today. My list is back at my apartment. I'll get it later

I bet i'm the only person who mentioned PSO Ep III, though

I am pretty sure you also WILL be the only person to mention PSO: Episode III.

I am also disappointed in how this thread here goes. I thought it was all about discussing my great choices, but nobody gave a damn about Neutopia II.

I would...if I'd heard of it! Right now, Plants vs Zombies seems to be leading the way. I would keep score but people don't post at the same time, it's hard to keep track.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:

I would...if I'd heard of it! Right now, Plants vs Zombies seems to be leading the way. I would keep score but people don't post at the same time, it's hard to keep track.

Trust me, you don't want to even bother keeping score at this point. I tried it last year, and it's just not worth it.

@Rol

Is that some sort of NeoPets spinoff?

SvennoJ said:

Excellent choice, I love the whole might and magic series. The rpg games were very addictive, you got so powerful in the end you could kill everyone in a village with one spell :) No respawns, fun times clearing every enemy in the whole game.

The heroes strategy games spin off were even more addictive. Many hours wasted :) The variation in the different races and city styles was indeed one of it's strongest point.

My brother and I were reminiscing on our favorite games a year or so ago, and this game came up. Of course, we searched and searched for the old disc but we couldn't find it. Sadness indeed.

But we decided to buy the Complete Edition ($15 on Amazon) and split the cost. Played the heck out of the game when it came in.

Smeags said:

Heroes of Might and Magic III was one of the first strategy games I played, and is also one of the most unique. It combines both elements of turned based and real-time strategy elements to create a fun and refreshing take on the genre. But the part I loved the most was all of the different races that you could play as. From the demonic Inferno to the swampy Fortress, each of the eight city types had unique creatures to train and battle with. Finding gold and other precious items to build up your city was a satisfying and fun affair, and forming a great army was always brought a sense of pride. It was so easy to be sucked into the deep gameplay and strategy of the game that hours would pass by in an instant. There's so many reasons to fall in love with this game, and for that Heroes of Might and Magic III earns the #48 spot on my list.

Hell yeah! Heroes 3 was my favorite of the Heroes of M&M saga. It was perfect for me, i remember playing with a friend of mine in the same PC, it was really fun especially when we allied forces in order to destroy a CPU controlled faction. Necropolis is by far my favorite, and my favorite creature would be the Vampire Lord(? i don't recall right now the name, but they were vampires that regenerates un a % when you attack a enemy unit. If you have a legion of these you are virtually unstoppable.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin