By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

#50 Riven played on pc, released 1997

One of the most relaxing games I have played. The sights and sounds truly take you away to another world. The puzzles were fiendishly hard yet slowly chipping away at them with a notebook next to the keyboard never got frustrating. I really enjoyed exploring the islands and the journals. The journals were well made with lots of background info, interesting observations and beautifully drawn illustrations.

List

Around the Network
Smeags said:
TWRoO said:

I don't remember that.... the final race was against a ninja, who became the 6th playable character after you beat him.

There was a weapon that turned opponents into snowmen, and on 1 track there is a giant snowman who shoots at you, but it's just part of the track so you don't race it.

Actually, there isn't a Damien in Snowboard Kids, you must be thinking of Snowboard Kids 2, which for some reason wasn't released in Europe (it was released in Australia though)

You're totally right TWRoO. I was thinking of Snowboard Kids 2.

But I'm sure that if the first game was anything like the second, it's a great game.

I just found out something new...generally didn't keep my SBK save data because it always took up 121 of the 123 save blocks on my memory pak... turns out this was some kind of weird error that the game had with some third party memory paks, I should hve bought an official one

SvennoJ said:

One of the most relaxing games I have played. The sights and sounds truly take you away to another world. The puzzles were fiendishly hard yet slowly chipping away at them with a notebook next to the keyboard never got frustrating. I really enjoyed exploring the islands and the journals. The journals were well made with lots of background info, interesting observations and beautifully drawn illustrations.

List

some folks are on 48 now :P you are falling behind!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
SvennoJ said:

List

He is just making it so he can link to it from the list thread.

Ajescent said:
SvennoJ said:

I know, just re-organizing or Rolstoppable will get mad at me.
The one post in the main thread is going to be unmanageable.

Around the Network

seen...is it wrong that I'm thoroughly fascinated by this?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

#49 Mass Effect played on Xbox 360, released 2007

I almost didn't include this in my top 50, but I shouldn't let my disappointment in ME2 cloud my judgment of the first one. A great story in an engaging universe with plenty of exploration and interesting quests. Varied gameplay takes you on a well crafted journey while solving an ancient mystery which leads up to one of the best finales in modern video games. It wasn't perfect though, technical issues and poor combat keep it from getting a higher listing. Both of those concerns were fixed, but it's a shame that all of my favorite elements, RPG progression, exploration, investigative quests and most importantly the compelling main story took a back seat in ME2. Hopefully ME3 will bring back the magic of the first one with the combat and polish of ME2.

List

48. Pokemon Black/White (NDS)

There is not much to say about it, it's simply Pokemon. The only real problem is that I don't like most of the new Pokemon.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

#48 -> Ninja Gaiden (NES)

Ryu Hayabusa, skilled Ninja, passionate hero. With cinematic cutscenes, overlooking the cheesy narrative, you will enjoy an old-school effort at vivid storytelling well executed on this late-1980s title. Accross the landscapes of the first game, Ruy Hayabusa jumps and slashes with his sword in a game where every control can be tweaked until the perfect jump-slash movement is mastered, maybe even after clinging to a wall as a flying creature approaches. Diagonally launching flame and or rebounding shuriken are among the many special items that can be obtained throught the levels, each with its own control that can be mastered to defeat the difficult foes that await you. And when you think you're getting the hang of the game, you find yourself at the last level possibly throwing the controller across the room when defeat against the final boss throws you back to the begining of the ever-difficult final stage. With blood-pumping music and excellent visuals, controls that never aged, you will find yourself enjoying every moment of this game tailored for the most adept action-game fanatic. Ninja Gaiden for the NES gets my #48 spot.

Back to my top 50

#48 Master of Orion played on PC, released 1993

One of, if not the best turn based strategy game set in space. It had it all, 10 alien species, lots of worlds to colonize, good diplomacy, interesting tech trees and well crafted combat. It was ahead of its time. You could build your own ships with the different technologies you discover. This opened a whole world of strategy, what kind of lasers or shields to use, do I build fewer expensive heavy ships or a lot of weak fast ships to counter the different strategies of each alien race. I still feel guilty about all those planets I bombed from orbit with biological weapons. Master of Orion 2 was just as awesome with vastly improved graphics, the third one however missed the mark.

List