By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

Smeags said:
TWRoO said:

I don't remember that.... the final race was against a ninja, who became the 6th playable character after you beat him.

There was a weapon that turned opponents into snowmen, and on 1 track there is a giant snowman who shoots at you, but it's just part of the track so you don't race it.

Actually, there isn't a Damien in Snowboard Kids, you must be thinking of Snowboard Kids 2, which for some reason wasn't released in Europe (it was released in Australia though)

You're totally right TWRoO. I was thinking of Snowboard Kids 2.

But I'm sure that if the first game was anything like the second, it's a great game.

I just found out something new...generally didn't keep my SBK save data because it always took up 121 of the 123 save blocks on my memory pak... turns out this was some kind of weird error that the game had with some third party memory paks, I should hve bought an official one

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

#50 Riven played on pc, released 1997

One of the most relaxing games I have played. The sights and sounds truly take you away to another world. The puzzles were fiendishly hard yet slowly chipping away at them with a notebook next to the keyboard never got frustrating. I really enjoyed exploring the islands and the journals. The journals were well made with lots of background info, interesting observations and beautifully drawn illustrations.

List

some folks are on 48 now :P you are falling behind!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
SvennoJ said:

One of the most relaxing games I have played. The sights and sounds truly take you away to another world. The puzzles were fiendishly hard yet slowly chipping away at them with a notebook next to the keyboard never got frustrating. I really enjoyed exploring the islands and the journals. The journals were well made with lots of background info, interesting observations and beautifully drawn illustrations.

List

He is just making it so he can link to it from the list thread.

Ajescent said:
SvennoJ said:

I know, just re-organizing or Rolstoppable will get mad at me.
The one post in the main thread is going to be unmanageable.

seen...is it wrong that I'm thoroughly fascinated by this?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

#49 Mass Effect played on Xbox 360, released 2007

I almost didn't include this in my top 50, but I shouldn't let my disappointment in ME2 cloud my judgment of the first one. A great story in an engaging universe with plenty of exploration and interesting quests. Varied gameplay takes you on a well crafted journey while solving an ancient mystery which leads up to one of the best finales in modern video games. It wasn't perfect though, technical issues and poor combat keep it from getting a higher listing. Both of those concerns were fixed, but it's a shame that all of my favorite elements, RPG progression, exploration, investigative quests and most importantly the compelling main story took a back seat in ME2. Hopefully ME3 will bring back the magic of the first one with the combat and polish of ME2.

List

48. Pokemon Black/White (NDS)

There is not much to say about it, it's simply Pokemon. The only real problem is that I don't like most of the new Pokemon.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

#48 Master of Orion played on PC, released 1993

One of, if not the best turn based strategy game set in space. It had it all, 10 alien species, lots of worlds to colonize, good diplomacy, interesting tech trees and well crafted combat. It was ahead of its time. You could build your own ships with the different technologies you discover. This opened a whole world of strategy, what kind of lasers or shields to use, do I build fewer expensive heavy ships or a lot of weak fast ships to counter the different strategies of each alien race. I still feel guilty about all those planets I bombed from orbit with biological weapons. Master of Orion 2 was just as awesome with vastly improved graphics, the third one however missed the mark.

List

48 Front Mission 4

A proper turn based strategy JRPG on consoles. It's a real shame these games aren't too popular outside of Japan, Square Enix has been making Front Mission games faithfully since the days of SNES and they typically only get 200-300k in sales nowdays. Still like any war based anime, the plots in these games are full of political twists, and many levels are so deep they will take multiple hours to complete. Ontop of that mech customization in these games plays such an imortant role, you can make your mech look like almost anything, and as different characters have different strengths, they all should look different.

SvennoJ - Great picks for 49 and 48. I never heard of Master of Orion, and had I been more of a PC gamer back in the day, it looks like it would have been my type of game. Seeing this on the list makes me regret not putting some old PC games on my list, like SIMCity, or RCT.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

48. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

You won't find any racing simulators or 'serious' racers in this list, but this is the first appearance of the kart racer, and it won't be the last. Except Diddy Kong Racing isn't just a kart racer, there's also hovercrafts and airplanes, and there's even a story mode rather than simply focusing on the racing itself. The evil Wizpig has taken over and naturally the only way to defeat him is via a series of races before eventually facing off against Wizpig himself, but if you didn't feel like moving onto the next race in the story you could just drive/fly around the games island hub. Some crazy people out there rank this game above Mario Kart, but I wouldn't go that far. It's definitely the best kart racer around that doesn't feature that Italian plumber though.

VGChartz