By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predictions: PS3 vs 360 sales gap after holdiays

EMAA numbers will be unexpectedly huge for PS3 this holiday surpassing 360's Americas, which will add to the  lead over 360 worldwide.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
snakenobi said:
Mummelmann said:
Well, even though the exact numbers might not be right, I guess my prediction is in my sig (made in january).

those prediction are already wrong,if the 360 doesn't not make a dramatic comeback and most probably won't happen as MS won't cut the price

and please make predictions for both

Well, I'm going to leave them as they are, I never change my january predictions, that would kind of make them useless. Besides, you never know if the 360 will have an insane holiday, we know it can pull some crazy Americas numbers and this might be the first holiday this gen where Wii isn't on top for the season.

alright

but please predict both numbers official & VGC and give me the gap

GameAnalyser said:
The chances are high for a 2 million Vgchartz, unless and until they don't over track the 360 sales numbers.
Official shipments numbers will be a solid 1.8 for 31st December and 0.0 exactly by December 2013.

see the OP

i have said predict the VGC numbers after VGC adjusts its overtracked or undertracked number when the official numbers come out

right now i have taken ur predictions as:

VGC: 2m

Official: 1.8m

you can change till end of november

Sales gap : 2.3 million

Shipped gap : 1.7 million

Seece said:

Very difficult to say.

Microsoft are still sticking to their #1 WW 2011 (which they've said is sold to consumers not shipments) and we have 7 weeks till the end of the year? I've said before, they're not infallible, but this is a message they've been consistant with month in month out, i just don't see how they can predict something within a short timeframe, and get it so wrong. Just doesn't seem possible to me. They could miss it by a few hundred K, but to fall behind in shipments (let alone sales) by 2 mill for the year, when with 7 weeks to go in the year they say they're going to be #1?
Do you think a bunch of monkeys work at Microsoft or something?

In terms of PS3 shipments, I see 6.5 - 7 mill (with the remaining growth they expect either not happening or being in Q1) In the U.S Anita Fraizer the lady that works for NPD (in some sort of fashion I believe) has said she expects PS3 to be flat yoy in the U.S, October NPD certainly points to that.

all these corporations are nuts

SONY lost $7b on PS3 and MS had a lose of $9.5b on the XBOX project(now to $6.5 thanks to 360 profits)

and if you see ballmer's thinking with iPHONE bet back in 2007,he was very much wrong and they have made other wrong decisions too

so asking such questions where  the company's profits make them seem very clever and people go by this and forget the company's blunders which can be seen in MS's KIN,ZUNE and SONY's PS3 after PS2 success

it happens with all fat ass greedy corporations with buisness heads which don't know or feel that much about the product and just go with market trends

also we have seen this again and again in NPD and VGC and other tracking services that they come with big number but when official numbers come out its a different story as those trackers either don't have full detail of everywhere aka NPD not covering Americas or europe trackers not covering EMEAA so people forget that

and as we have seen that VGC adjusts its number big time

I expect the VGC sales to be almost exactly the same as well.

Nov NPD should be the telltale as to whether they're succeeding with being #1 though, as if they announce they're 'on track to be #1' with only 3 weeks to go before the end of the year it's almost a dead cert. If they go quiet then it looks like they're not doing well. By then we'll be into Dec though and VGC should be giving us a good idea on how sales are going.

So i have take ur predictions as follows:

VGC gap: 2.5m(VGC gap as of last September,the recent MW3 NA boost has made it 2.7m.If you want that tell tell me)

official gap: 3.4m

i have clearly stated in the OP what predictions i am looking for

official numbers : what sony and ms will disclose at the end of JAN as of DEC 2011

VGC numbers: VGC adjusted numbers which vgc puts out after official numbers come out

please don't play with that thing where MS or SONY say their shipments are sales to consumer not shipments,that based on company however they manage or distort their sales by supressing shipment or increasing them.

if you have objections to the above number,please tell me and i will remove them or change them

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Recent sales sap is as follows:

VGC numbers(sold) - 3.5M

Official Numbers(Shipped) - 3.07M

RECENT sales gap is

VGC:2.5m

Official:2.07

you amde a million error

anyways wats ur prediction?

snakenobi said:
Seece said:

all these corporations are nuts

SONY lost $7b on PS3 and MS had a lose of $9.5b on the XBOX project(now to $6.5 thanks to 360 profits)

Wrong, nowhere near that amount. 

and if you see ballmer's thinking with iPHONE bet back in 2007,he was very much wrong and they have made other wrong decisions too

so asking such questions where  the company's profits make them seem very clever and people go by this and forget the company's blunders which can be seen in MS's KIN,ZUNE and SONY's PS3 after PS2 success

it happens with all fat ass greedy corporations with buisness heads which don't know or feel that much about the product and just go with market trends

That has nothing to do with what I said.

also we have seen this again and again in NPD and VGC and other tracking services that they come with big number but when official numbers come out its a different story as those trackers either don't have full detail of everywhere aka NPD not covering Americas or europe trackers not covering EMEAA so people forget that

and as we have seen that VGC adjusts its number big time

I was attributing NPD to the U.S, nowhere else, so my comment in that regard was fine. 

I expect the VGC sales to be almost exactly the same as well.

Nov NPD should be the telltale as to whether they're succeeding with being #1 though, as if they announce they're 'on track to be #1' with only 3 weeks to go before the end of the year it's almost a dead cert. If they go quiet then it looks like they're not doing well. By then we'll be into Dec though and VGC should be giving us a good idea on how sales are going.

So i have take ur predictions as follows:

VGC gap: 2.7m(the current gap which you said to agree with)

official gap: 3.4m

No, both 3.4m.

i have clearly stated in the OP what predictions i am looking for

official numbers : what sony and ms will disclose at the end of JAN as of DEC 2011

VGC numbers: VGC adjusted numbers which vgc puts out after official numbers come out

please don't play with that thing where MS or SONY say their shipments are sales to consumer not shipments,that based on company however they manage or distort their sales by supressing shipment or increasing them.

Again, that isn't even what I said. I said they've said in terms of beating PS3 this year they're talking about Sold to consumer, not shipments. Here's the quote.

Eurogamer: So when you say number one you mean sales?

Chris Lewis: I mean purely install base with consumers. We don't count units unless they're actually out there and installed. This isn't shipments. This isn't revenue. This is install base of consoles.

They know the difference between shipments and sold to consumers (last year up to end of december they used sold to consumer with Kinect which was dead in line with the site, then in late January they used shipments, for that they're known to use both sets of numbers, but they're NOT the same.)

Here they're not saying they'll use shipments as that measure as to outselling Sony, but sold to consumer.

if you have objections to the above number,please tell me and i will remove them or change them

With MS so confident after October NPD I expect that the great deals MS has had all November are going to continue through the end of the year, but accelerate. Black Friday likely not the best time to get a 360 this year.

So expect that both shipment and sold numbers to jump about 1 million from the 1st post numbers.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
With MS so confident after October NPD I expect that the great deals MS has had all November are going to continue through the end of the year, but accelerate. Black Friday likely not the best time to get a 360 this year.

So expect that both shipment and sold numbers to jump about 1 million from the 1st post numbers.

so i am taking ur predictions as 1m bump to VGC gap as of november 5th which is 2.5 and Official gap as of SEP 2011 which is 2.07

SO

thx1139 predictions:

VGC gap: 3.5m

Official gap: 3.07

tell me if you want to change

Seece said

Wrong, nowhere near that amount. 

oh but they are

That has nothing to do with what I said.

yes it did

i just told you that alot corporations have monkeys sitting at top which have been wrong again and again

I was attributing NPD to the U.S, nowhere else, so my comment in that regard was fine. 

i didn't say it wasn't

i was just talking about you giving examples of tracking number from these sales agencies

they have been wrong many times out of their wrong tracking or out of coverage area.so just giving examples won't prove ur point

No, both 3.4m.

updated

Again, that isn't even what I said. I said they've said in terms of beating PS3 this year they're talking about Sold to consumer, not shipments. Here's the quote.

Eurogamer: So when you say number one you mean sales?

Chris Lewis: I mean purely install base with consumers. We don't count units unless they're actually out there and installed. This isn't shipments. This isn't revenue. This is install base of consoles.

They know the difference between shipments and sold to consumers (last year up to end of december they used sold to consumer with Kinect which was dead in line with the site, then in late January they used shipments, for that they're known to use both sets of numbers, but they're NOT the same.)

Here they're not saying they'll use shipments as that measure as to outselling Sony, but sold to consumer.

we have no way of knowing if they are completely true as companies  play with their data to confuse people about high shipment or high shipments

yeah we have seen a trend of MS low shipments and high consumer sales but that is dependent on what MS does.

this thread is not about discussing what they do

you just predict based on what you think they will do and what will be the gap