By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October NPD 2011 Thread - 360 393k, 3DS >250k, Wii 250k, PS3 250k, DS ~180k.

Predictions:
- 360 undertracked by 20k
- Wii overtracked by 30k
- PS3 undertracked by 10k
- DS undertracked by 20k
- 3DS spot on

Around the Network

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32622906&postcount=1

'nearly' 250k for Wii
more than 250k for 3DS
'nearly' 180k for DS

^^^ Looks like I was about right ^_^

interesting so far

I'm not really here!

In its eighth month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS™ system crossed 1.65 million units sold in the U.S., according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This milestone puts the platform on track to surpass the first-year total of Nintendo DS™, the best-selling game platform in U.S. history.

The Nintendo DS system sold 2.37 million units in its first 12 months (November 2004-October 2005), with approximately 50 percent of those sales occurring in the holiday time frame. With its first holiday season and the launches of the Super Mario 3D Land™ and Mario Kart™ 7 games on the horizon, Nintendo 3DS is poised to eclipse that number and establish a new benchmark for hand-held gaming launches in the United States.

Nintendo sold more than 675,000 combined hardware units in October. This includes more than 250,000 units of Nintendo 3DS, nearly 250,000 Wii™ systems and nearly 180,000 units of the Nintendo DS family of systems.

For the year, Nintendo has sold a combined 7 million hardware units and more than 55 million units of software have been sold for Nintendo platforms. Both of these numbers should increase with the Nov. 20 launch of The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword for Wii.
Both Wii, up 8 percent year over year, and Nintendo DS, up 23 percent over the previous month, demonstrated strong momentum heading into their respective sixth and eighth holiday seasons. In total, the two platforms have sold more than 87 million combined hardware units and more than 540 million combined units of software in the United States.

I'm not really here!

Around the Network

Considering the circumstances, Nintendo's results are okay. Although their press release suggests that they got pretty much slaughtered in the software charts for October.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

My bad.

RolStoppable said:
Considering the circumstances, Nintendo's results are okay. Although their press release suggests that they got pretty much slaughtered in the software charts for October.

Not really surprising, JD3 will probably be the only game in the top 10 on a Nintendo platform.  (well depending on if you want to count the fact that the sports games get released on everything under the sun).  Also they sound awfully conservative when the say "Both of these numbers should increase".  It would certainly be a terrible month if their hardware and software YTDs decreased with the release of Zelda.  Also if my math is right (and VGC numbers are comprehensive), that means about 18.4% of Wii and DS software has been bundled.  Which means on average every single Wii and DS system was sold with 1.4 bundled games.  I wonder how the other systems compare.

So, little overtracking of the Wii, but definitely nothing crazy and may not even be enough to warrant adjustments. The DS definitely needs to be adjusted up by ~50-60K. Spot on with 3DS. Overall, VGC was pretty accurate for Nintendo.

When do we usually get MS stuff and Sony stuff?