Forums - Sales Discussion - Comprehensive list of AAA third party Wii games and sales analysis

I'm guessing games developed by a third party but published by Nintendo don't count? Ports neither, right?

How about Shattered Memories? I would say most of the focus was on Wii and it was pushed, at least I got that feeling (haven't played it).

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
Games developed by a third party but published by Nintendo count?

Which game(s) specifically are you talking about?

Nintendo published Monster Hunter Tri in Europe, but that's the region with the smallest amount of sales anyway.

Nintendo will publish Dragon Quest X outside of Japan, but DQ sells most in Japan where Square-Enix will publish it. 

Or did you mean something entirely else?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Games developed by a third party but published by Nintendo count?

Which game(s) specifically are you talking about?

Nintendo published Monster Hunter Tri in Europe, but that's the region with the smallest amount of sales anyway.

Nintendo will publish Dragon Quest X outside of Japan, but DQ sells most in Japan where Square-Enix will publish it. 

Or did you mean something entirely else?

I was talking of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, I edited my post above, and mentioned Shattered Memories.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Yeah... I looked through and really... other than GoldenEye 007 (at least from what I've seen), and maaaaybe Guitar Hero: World Tour (multiplat, but still a large advertising focus, at least here in the states), that's pretty much it.

Glad to see each game perform well (but then again, that's part of the reason you made this thread). Sonic Colors is already getting a holiday season boost. I guess the lack of Sonic Generations is helping it out somewhat. I hope Epic Mickey does well too.

Troll_Whisperer said:

I was talking of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, I edited my post above, and mentioned Shattered Memories.

Monolith is 80 % owned by Nintendo nowadays, so it's not exactly third party anymore. I think they still make something for Namco though. But even if Monolith were third party, Xenoblade still wouldn't count, because Nintendo took care of the funding and publishing.

Ports don't count, because they don't cost a lot. The game was already finished for another platform and is now released with a few minor tweaks. Work that can be done by a fraction of the original team in a fraction of the time.

As for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, it certainly had a decent development budget (not necessarily a big one), but I don't think that it really got pushed hard by Konami. Internet hype doesn't equal actual marketing and it doesn't really make sense to invest a lot of money into advertising a horror game nowadays.

You can classify video games in four groups: AAA, A, B and shovelware. AAA has already been explained and shovelware should be obvious. B titles are low budget productions with minimal marketing, usually targeted at a specific niche market. A titles fall inbetween AAA and B titles, so semi-big development budgets and reasonable marketing. I would put Shattered Memories in the A category.

In terms of sales expectations for home console games:

• AAA: 1m minimum
  • A: 500k-1m
  • B: 200k-500k
  • Shovelware: whatever you can get

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network

What about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

Sales were meh, but may fit your description.

benao87 said:
What about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

Sales were meh, but may fit your description.

It was by no means a Street Fighter IV. So clearly, Capcom can do better when it comes to pushing their games.

There was nothing AAA about Red Steel, not the quality not the budget not ANYTHING. Probably the hype but that doesn't count.

---

I would include one of the FPS million seller games from Activision. Goldeneye should be up there considering it was first designed for the Wii only (now with a HD version coming out which anyone could have seen coming).  I'd even argue for WaW and BO.  I've played both almost 800 hours combined and I'd have to say that even though they were lacking content from the HD versions the Wiimote/nunchuck controls were solid.  Liked the controls more on those two than Goldeneye.  As much shit as I talk about BO being filled with bugs, glitches, freezes, host frame rate issues, etc it was still fun when it worked the way it was supposed to.  WaW had a few glitches on some maps but had less problems and didn't rely on a single patch to fix any of the issues that did come up (which weren't as many as BO).

sethnintendo said:

I would include one of the FPS million seller games from Activision. Goldeneye should be up there considering it was first designed for the Wii only (now with a HD version coming out which anyone could have seen coming).  I'd even argue for WaW and BO.  I've played both almost 800 hours combined and I'd have to say that even though they were lacking the controls were solid.  Liked the controls more on those two more than Goldeneye.  As much shit as I talk about BO being filled with bugs, glitches, freezes, host frame rate issues, etc it was still fun when it worked the way it was supposed to.  WaW had a few glitches on some maps but had less problems and didn't rely on a single patch to fix any of the issues that did come up (which weren't as many as BO).

Goldeneye maybe, even though I still see it more as an A title.

But Black Ops for Wii didn't even have screenshots released until a few weeks before release. Is that your idea of a game being pushed hard by its publisher?

Also, posting the same comment thrice on my wall doesn't give you any plus points either.