Forums - Sales Discussion - Comprehensive list of AAA third party Wii games and sales analysis

RolStoppable said:

Goldeneye maybe, even though I still see it more as an A title.

But Black Ops for Wii didn't even have screenshots released until a few weeks before release. Is that your idea of a game being pushed hard by its publisher?

Also, posting the same comment thrice on my wall doesn't give you any plus points either.

I must have been lagging out.  You know how VGC goes...  Anyways, I am just saying if you are going to include Red Steel then you gotta at least include Goldeneye.  It even came with a Golden CC bundle.  Was it a CCP or CC?  Not too sure...

Oh yea, can you delete 2 of those comments then from your wall.  Not sure if I can but I'll try.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I must have been lagging out.  You know how VGC goes...  Anyways, I am just saying if you are going to include Red Steel then you gotta at least include Goldeneye.  It even came with a Golden CC bundle.  Was it a CCP or CC?  Not too sure...

Oh yea, can you delete 2 of those comments then from your wall.  Not sure if I can but I'll try.

Okay, I'll add Goldeneye.

Already deleted two of your comments when I first saw them.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

sethnintendo said:
RolStoppable said:

Goldeneye maybe, even though I still see it more as an A title.

But Black Ops for Wii didn't even have screenshots released until a few weeks before release. Is that your idea of a game being pushed hard by its publisher?

Also, posting the same comment thrice on my wall doesn't give you any plus points either.

---

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew who the author was. I clicked on "Forums" and saw that I was right. I smiled. I skimmed the OP and it seems serious. That was unexpected. I have to examine it more closely.........

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

RolStoppable said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

I was talking of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, I edited my post above, and mentioned Shattered Memories.

Monolith is 80 % owned by Nintendo nowadays, so it's not exactly third party anymore. I think they still make something for Namco though. But even if Monolith were third party, Xenoblade still wouldn't count, because Nintendo took care of the funding and publishing.

Ports don't count, because they don't cost a lot. The game was already finished for another platform and is now released with a few minor tweaks. Work that can be done by a fraction of the original team in a fraction of the time.

As for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, it certainly had a decent development budget (not necessarily a big one), but I don't think that it really got pushed hard by Konami. Internet hype doesn't equal actual marketing and it doesn't really make sense to invest a lot of money into advertising a horror game nowadays.

You can classify video games in four groups: AAA, A, B and shovelware. AAA has already been explained and shovelware should be obvious. B titles are low budget productions with minimal marketing, usually targeted at a specific niche market. A titles fall inbetween AAA and B titles, so semi-big development budgets and reasonable marketing. I would put Shattered Memories in the A category.

In terms of sales expectations for home console games:

• AAA: 1m minimum
  • A: 500k-1m
  • B: 200k-500k
  • Shovelware: whatever you can get

I don't know how well Shattered Memories got marketed TBH because I never watch TV nor do I read print gaming magazines, so I guess you're right.

As for the definition of AAA, unless the developers themselves tell us they consider it an AAA title, it can be pretty hard to define.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

@Rol
Nah. You have the wrong definition of AAA titles. If anything I guess you could argue every title is a AAA title because quality is subjective (usually if not always) but you have no right to alter the definition of a commonly used acronym/word for your own benefit.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

What about No More Heros? Looks interesting to me. Mad World also sold like 500k did it not?

Also I know Nintendo published XenoBlade, and is publishing The Last Story, but since they are Square Enix and Mistwalker developed respectivly, do they count as third party?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

homer said:
@Rol
Nah. You have the wrong definition of AAA titles. If anything I guess you could argue every title is a AAA title because quality is subjective (usually if not always) but you have no right to alter the definition of a commonly used acronym/word for your own benefit.

Actually it's you who are wrong in a way, in saying Rol has the wrong definition. I am simplifying (since there are also shades of grey), but there are basically two schools of thought on what AAA means - one school of thought considers AAA titles to be titles that were invested a lot in (time, effort, team composition and money), and the other school of though considers AAA titles to be titles that got to this or that Metacritic score level. Rol simply belongs to the first school of thought, and so he is not "wrong" in his definition.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Michael-5 said:

What about No More Heros? Looks interesting to me. Mad World also sold like 500k did it not?

Also I know Nintendo published XenoBlade, and is publishing The Last Story, but since they are Square Enix and Mistwalker developed respectivly, do they count as third party?

While they may look interesting to some, neither No More Heroes nor Madworld were big budget as far as development budget. Xenoblade is a Monolith game, not SE, and Monolith are owned by Nintendo. Last Story was comissioned (and paid for) by Nintendo, so again can't be considered third party.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

homer said:
@Rol

I am using the original definition of the term. What you are talking about is the warped definition that developed from observations of people who just don't know better. They heard x or y is a AAA game, saw that these games got a really high Metascore and then concluded that AAA refers to a game that got a 90+ Metascore. And since misconceptions like this spread like wildfire on the internet, we now look at a situation where the wrong definition (Metascore) is seen as the right one while the correct one (money) is perceived to be wrong.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club