By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 3 is a MAJOR flop, Americans, we need to talk about it.

Tagged games:

sales2099 said:
As a non PS3 owner, the opinion of an outsider may shed some light, or it may spark a debate :)

It sold more then Uncharted 2 first week but then again Gears 3 had a much bigger boost compared to Gears 2. Im bringing up Gears 3 off course because it is the 360 biggest exclusive this year, as Uncharted 3 is PS3 biggest exclusive this year. Both are third person shooters, more or less.

The Uncharted franchise is the result of overhype on the internet by the loyal fans. The voices of the few many times speak for everyone, but doesn't necessarily represent everyone.

The result is massive hype that has no equal on the internet but translates to poor actual sales........compared to rivals such as Gears.

The thread still serving it's purpose it seems. LOL

Around the Network

This thread turned out awful.

o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:
As a non PS3 owner, the opinion of an outsider may shed some light, or it may spark a debate :)

It sold more then Uncharted 2 first week but then again Gears 3 had a much bigger boost compared to Gears 2. Im bringing up Gears 3 off course because it is the 360 biggest exclusive this year, as Uncharted 3 is PS3 biggest exclusive this year. Both are third person shooters, more or less.

The Uncharted franchise is the result of overhype on the internet by the loyal fans. The voices of the few many times speak for everyone, but doesn't necessarily represent everyone.

The result is massive hype that has no equal on the internet but translates to poor actual sales........compared to rivals such as Gears.

a similar comparison could be made between forza and gt but of course since forza is a 360 game any comments you make on that are flipped the other way from sales to metacritic scores... regardless i  guess by now it should be obvious to anyone who has seen your posts and your sig that you only really have one goal here

Well Forza and GT never released in the same year, Nor would I call Forza 360's biggest exclusive, nor even the biggest exclusive of the year. Thats where your counterpoint falls short. Besides not only does Forza have GT beaten in Metascore it also has more total sales this gen. F2 + F3 > GT5. F4 is just a bonus :). Thats what happens when they take too long to make a game. 

Your point aside it doesn't counter my original hypothesis that PS3 gamers on the internet overhype their biggest games and then wonder why they fall short in the real world compared to the competition. I dont recall 360 gamers hyping up Forza anywhere as close to Uncharted 3. 

My goal is to spark debate. My comment isn't trolling, merely playing devils advocate. Look up "forum" in a dictionary when you have time. My motives are clear but I take care (for the most part) to word it properly so its not outright trolling. Aint like im saying "Uncharted 3 sucks cause it can't touch Gears 3". Cause im not. Just because I have bias, doesn't mean my points have any less merit.  

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:

a similar comparison could be made between forza and gt but of course since forza is a 360 game any comments you make on that are flipped the other way from sales to metacritic scores... regardless i  guess by now it should be obvious to anyone who has seen your posts and your sig that you only really have one goal here

Well Forza and GT never released in the same year, Nor would I call Forza 360's biggest exclusive, nor even the biggest exclusive of the year. Thats where your counterpoint falls short. Besides not only does Forza have GT beaten in Metascore it also has more total sales this gen. F2 + F3 > GT5. F4 is just a bonus :). Thats what happens when they take too long to make a game. 

Your point aside it doesn't counter my original hypothesis that PS3 gamers on the internet overhype their biggest games and then wonder why they fall short in the real world compared to the competition. I dont recall 360 gamers hyping up Forza anywhere as close to Uncharted 3. 

My goal is to spark debate. My comment isn't trolling, merely playing devils advocate. Look up "forum" in a dictionary when you have time. My motives are clear but I take care (for the most part) to word it properly so its not outright trolling. Aint like im saying "Uncharted 3 sucks cause it can't touch Gears 3". Cause im not. Just because I have bias, doesn't mean my points have any less merit.  

lol... let me help you out here.

Numbers 1-2 of 2  <<  1  >> 
PosGameAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Racer
1.85 0.63 4.16 6.64
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
1.32 0.57 2.23 4.12
Total3.171.206.3910.76
Numbers 1-3 of 3  <<  1  >> 
Forza Motorsport 3 (X360)
Microsoft, Racer
2.84 0.10 2.05 4.99
Forza Motorsport 2 (X360)
Microsoft, Racer
2.48 0.04 1.50 4.02
Forza Motorsport 4 (X360)
Microsoft, Racer
0.39 0.03 0.50 0.91
Total5.700.174.059.92

last time i checked ~11 milion is greater than ~10 million, lest not forget that GT5P has actually sold ~5 million

sales2099 said:
o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:

"Well Forza and GT never released in the same year, Nor would I call Forza 360's biggest exclusive, nor even the biggest exclusive of the year."

don't see how any of this is in any way relevant the bottomline is that you were comparing 2 games in a similar genre so i did the same

"F2 + F3 > GT5"

its pretty bad when you have to resort to adding the sales from 2 games to conteract sales from a single especially when you consider how heavily bunded F3 was but whatever

"Thats what happens when they take too long to make a game."

what about alan wake? it took the same length of time as gt 5 and took a whole year to sell 1 million

"My comment isn't trolling"

never said it was

"My goal is to spark debate"

its pretty sad that the only "debates" you find worhwhile are on any negative topics you can dig up on sony thats when it moves from simple debating to something else

"My motives are clear but I take care (for the most part) to word it properly so its not outright trolling"

why would you have to watch your wording?

"Look up "forum""

i know what a forum is, i also know that forums are comprised of numerous types of people who each have their own agenda what would you say yours is?

Around the Network
Boutros said:
This thread turned out awful.

Let's be honest here; it turned out precisely the way it was intended. Reminds me of old Rol threads, I believe I popped my Vgchartz cherry in one of his infamous threads of this kind...

osamanobama said:
sales2099 said:
o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
1.85 0.63 4.16 6.64
1.32 0.57 2.23 4.12
Total3.171.206.3910.76
Microsoft, Racer
2.84 0.10 2.05 4.99
Microsoft, Racer
2.48 0.04 1.50 4.02
Microsoft, Racer
0.39 0.03 0.50 0.91
Total5.700.174.059.92

last time i checked ~11 milion is greater than ~10 million, lest not forget that GT5P has actually sold ~5 million

When you count sales of a demo to help the actual full release....you know the franchise hit rock bottom :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:
o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:

"Well Forza and GT never released in the same year, Nor would I call Forza 360's biggest exclusive, nor even the biggest exclusive of the year."

don't see how any of this is in any way relevant the bottomline is that you were comparing 2 games in a similar genre so i did the same

The bottom line is that your comparison has its differences despite the first glance similarity. 

"F2 + F3 > GT5"

its pretty bad when you have to resort to adding the sales from 2 games to conteract sales from a single especially when you consider how heavily bunded F3 was but whatever

Its pretty bad that GT has devolved to such a snails pace compared to Forza and can't even get a 90+ on metacritic but whatever :P

"Thats what happens when they take too long to make a game."

what about alan wake? it took the same length of time as gt 5 and took a whole year to sell 1 million

New IP example to help an argument about established IPs? lol

"My comment isn't trolling"

never said it was

"My goal is to spark debate"

its pretty sad that the only "debates" you find worhwhile are on any negative topics you can dig up on sony thats when it moves from simple debating to something else

Sad? I debate on what I care about. Anonymous forum chats don't define oneself. If obsessing about games translates into the real world, then you have the authority to call it "sad". Until then, it is what it is, just someones opinion. 

"My motives are clear but I take care (for the most part) to word it properly so its not outright trolling"

why would you have to watch your wording? so i dont get moderated....

"Look up "forum""

i know what a forum is, i also know that forums are comprised of numerous types of people who each have their own agenda what would you say yours is? That the big 3 companies aren't equal and fans are entitled to a bias and have every right to voice an opinion about said bias. There should be no pressure to adopt a "lets hold hands" and agree with each other mentality. 

sales2099 said:
osamanobama said:
sales2099 said:
o_O.Q said:
sales2099 said:

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
1.85 0.63 4.16 6.64
1.32 0.57 2.23 4.12
Total3.171.206.3910.76
Microsoft, Racer
2.84 0.10 2.05 4.99
Microsoft, Racer
2.48 0.04 1.50 4.02
Microsoft, Racer
0.39 0.03 0.50 0.91
Total5.700.174.059.92

When you count sales of a demo to help the actual full release....you know the franchise hit rock bottom :P

when you include the sales of earlier entries of a racing series (which could easily be considered "demos" for the most recent version) to help sales seem higher...

you know YOU have hit rock bottom :P

(also if GT5P is a demo then it is the most feature packed, content rich, fully encompassing "demo" in existance. its only not the next full entry into the series in name, it could very easily be called GT5, and have GT5 be called GT6. sports/racing games previous entries  could be considered "demos" for the later entries, but arent because of the name. Forza 3 could just as easily be considered Forza 4: Prologue, it would be no different.

but its clear logic and reason means nothing to you in arguements, as you constantly set up you own arbitrary parameters and guidlines on what is admissable to the debate or not.

"game X is overhyped and not very good, sales prove it. see game Z, while scoring lower has sold lots more, clearly  Z is the better game"

normal person: " same could be said of game A and B, game A sells tons more but scored less than B"

you:"if you add up sales from multiple entries for game B, its more than game A game. so game B is still clearly"

normal person: "if you add up sales of both series, this game A destroys it"

you: "but but but, im only counting this gen, so series B wins."

normal person: "you are excluding a game from series A, game A still wins"

you: "but you are only allowed to count numbered entries that released before march 25, 2006, on days with full moons, and with number 2-3 in them, and times by 2, so its clear that game B is better"

What a moron, since when is 8/10 a "mixed" review?? I think the OP is a troll. UC3 will likely do 1.2-1.3 million first week witth the Japanese numbers.