By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Official Thread - Beta is a go!

Tagged games:

ishiki said:

I was dissapointed in SC2 just a weee bit. mostly because of the story.

I thought they final fantasy-ed the story with melodramaticness (I love final fantasy) but I love starcraft too. it didn't have the B-movie I guess John Carpenterish plot the original and brood war had.

But, since I don't have my hopes for that type of story anymore, I don't think this will let me down. :D

And SC2 did have some balance issues imo, when I quit playing it atleast, still better than most RTS. I just I didn't think it was as balanced as brood war or Warcraft 3.

Patch 1.4.2 is pretty well balanced. The game still needs a little work but one unit isn't completely overpowered (roaches...colossus...reapers)

Around the Network

Time to resurrect this thread 

I am listening to When I'm Grandmaster while writing this. If you want the full experience, open up a tab in your browser and listen to this while reading.

We are currently working nonstop on StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (and Blizzard DOTA) and hope to be able to get Heart of the Swarm out to the public to see sometime in the near future. While we believe we have some great things lined up for the single-player campaign, I wanted to take some time to give you an update on the recent changes and what cool things we have in store for multiplayer.

Terrans

Terrans have undergone significant changes since we talked about them at BlizzCon. We have not kept the shredder, and even the warhound is in contention. The shredder was very confusing for players as well as being something that was easily used to kill a large number of workers with little to no warning. It was rarely used for its intended role of map control. The warhound still feels a little too much like a small thor, which is just not new enough to give terran players new strategies. We are still experimenting with a wide range of units, particularly from the factory, which we think is a little light on options. We have had a great deal of trouble with the terrans largely because they are such a flexible and effective race in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. We want to provide terran players with new strategies, however, so we will continue to work on them.

If we keep the Thor, we are currently experimenting with an anti-air spider mine that would give the terrans a way to get some factory-built anti-air into small places that a Thor has trouble reaching (like near your minerals). Whether this is meaningful, considering terrans have marines, is still in question. We are also experimenting with an extremely long-ranged terran missile launcher that can be used to break siege tank lines to make terran-vs.-terran factory-based games more dynamic.

Protoss

Protoss have gone through some changes since BlizzCon as well. The oracle is still in and functioning as a protoss raider (as intended) that can give the protoss some reach in the mid-game to disrupt enemy plans. The replicant has been cut. He was causing enemy players to not build certain unit types and was actually removing diversity from the game instead of adding diversity.

The tempest was a powerful splash anti-air capital ship at BlizzCon. With the addition of the range upgrade on phoenix in Wings of Liberty we no longer feel like a splash anti-air weapon is necessary on the protoss, but we would still like to give the protoss some additional firepower in the air. The tempest is currently a very long-ranged aerial siege weapon that can strike both air and ground targets. This gives the protoss army some real reach to force an engagement on their terms in the end-game.

We’re also experimenting with some nexus abilities. One example is a mass recall that allows the protoss to be more aggressive. They can move out onto the map with their slower sentry/zealot force and, if things don’t work out, recall the force back to their base if and when things go wrong.

Zerg

Zerg are the most stable and largely unchanged since BlizzCon. The swarm host is still serving well as a zerg siege unit that can burrow and pressure the enemy from a distance (in a very zergy way), but the viper has some slightly different new abilities. In addition to Abduct, the viper also has the ability to blind biological units in an area of effect. Blinded units have their range reduced to 1. This is obviously effective against terran infantry as well as zerg roach and hydra armies. The viper can also regain energy by feeding off of minerals. This locks up the mineral patch and prevents it from being harvested, so you want to use this ability away from your base.

We have decided to keep the overseer and make the viper a pure caster. We will be taking a look at the overseer to see what we can do to make his abilities more interesting.

We are also trying some additional abilities on the nydus network to allow you to spawn different types of nydus worms. The most interesting worms have been a worm that can spew creep across several screens to create a zerg assault highway, as well as a worm that attacks only enemy buildings, meant to be used as a ground-based zerg base raider.

We have some more work to do before we’re ready to begin beta testing Heart of the Swarm. We know that everybody wants a date for when they can play, and we know how important it is to get this out in front of the community as soon as possible. We’re working on it.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4055889/Developer_Update_Heart_of_the_Swarm_Multiplayer_-11_04_2012#blog

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I am loving that the Tempest is a flying siege vessel. Hopefully it can help against corruptors if managed properly. I also like that zerg haven't had many changes made since BlizzCon since I liked the units as they were. As for Terran, they aren't going to change much. Most terran players are still gonna MMM or go marine tank...so yeah....

Heart of the Swarm, the first expansion for Blizzard's Starcraft II, will be in playable beta at this year's MLG pro gaming championship in Anaheim, which runs from June 8-10th.

http://kotaku.com/5905892/starcraft-iis-heart-of-the-swarm-to-make-its-multiplayer-debut-at-mlg-in-june

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Heart of the Swarm Update - New Videos

A large number of StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm demo stations will be featured at the MLG Spring Championship running June 8-10, where attendees can sit down to see the future of StarCraft II multiplayer first hand. We wanted to share the excitement with players who couldn’t be there in the flesh, so here’s a video featuring the latest updates to the Heart of the Swarm multiplayer units.

The video you’re about to watch includes all the latest updates we’ve made to the new Heart of the Swarm multiplayer units since they were unveiled at BlizzCon last year. Check it out to see the latest changes:

Now that you’ve had a chance to see what the new Heart of the Swarm units are all about, let’s watch them in action! Day[9] and Blizzard’s own Rob Simpson shoutcast this battle report for your viewing pleasure. A big thanks to Day[9] for dropping by; you can catch his show on Day9.tv Sunday through Thursday at 7:00 pm PDT.

Of course, if you’re already in Orange County, CA area then it’s not too late to drop by the Anaheim Convention Center and check out the new units for yourself.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/6306259/Heart_of_the_Swarm_Update_-_New_Videos-6_8_2012#blog

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network
PDF said:
Super excited but... those new toss units look OP. about to watch day9 :)

and all is as it should be 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Can not wait for the Tempest. I'm going to tech to it every game.

Snesboy said:
Can not wait for the Tempest. I'm going to tech to it every game.

It does less DPS than a stimmed marine, but it's 300/300. I see it as more of a pressure unit (make your opponent have to do something) than the core of an army.

The slow attack speed of that and the Swarm Host allows more opportunity for micro and positioning on both sides; I'm a fan of any change that raises the skill cap and makes for exciting competitive games.

--

KT.FLASH IS GOD. MLG with the SC1 players is so awesome. MLG will be broadcast on live TV (CBS) in the US from autumn.

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm is 99% complete, Blizzard has told Kotaku; however, the last 1% is a bit of “a bitch,” said lead designer Dustin Browder.

According to Browder, the units are in place and the missions are playable, but the “tuning and polish,” is what Blizzard is now concentrating on.

“There’s something in for everything—it’s whether we like it or not that’s an open question,” he said. “It’s the tuning and polish that really takes us a long time, and that’s where we get into the unknowns.

“Like we could do a play-through next week that we’re like, ‘Wow this is really great.’ Or we could do a play-through and we still have 250 items we wanna fix. You know, historically speaking we’re doing pretty well. We’re getting there. But I don’t know for sure yet when we’ll be done.”

While Blizzard hasn’t set a release date for the expansion, it’s speculated for a late 2012 or early 2013 release. Once the beta is live, hopefully a more concrete date will emerge.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/15/blizzard-heart-of-the-swarm-is-99-complete/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

he Heart of the Swarm beta test has begun! This multiplayer-only test will initially be limited to a select group of pro-gamers, members of the press, Arcade contest winners, and shoutcasters. Beta test participants are not under NDA, so you’re likely going to see live streams of matches, screenshots, and casts of impromptu Heart of the Swarm throwdowns starting . . . mmm, NOW!

We will soon be inviting other players to participate in the beta, so be sure you’ve opted in by clicking on the "Beta Profile Settings" under the Account Management section of your Battle.net account (or just click here). Signing up from a Battle.net account that’s actively playing StarCraft II will help your chances of being selected. Note that opting in doesn't guarantee beta access.

We'll also be working with several fansites and community personalities to provide more opportunities to join the beta test, so keep an eye out here and throughout the StarCraft II community for details as they emerge.

For those who are in the beta already, we appreciate your assistance in helping us test the game. If you’re interested in joining the beta, we wish you luck with the opt-in and (future) giveaways, and hope to see you in a match soon!

Please note: Customer service representatives are unable to provide players with beta access. Please refrain from contacting them directly regarding beta access. Thank you!

How are beta test participants selected from the opt-in pool?

Beta testers are chosen according to their system specifications and other factors, including recent StarCraft II activity (and an element of luck), when selecting individuals during each round of invitations. Our goal is to have a wide variety of players and system types.

Will there be any other ways to get into the beta besides the opt-in?

We’ll be providing beta entry giveaways through various promotions on our sites, as well as through fansites and community VIPs. We’ll have more information available on these promotions as they approach.

How many players do you plan to invite to the beta test?

The number of players we invite will be based on our testing needs. If during the course of testing we determine we need more players to participate, we’ll invite more.

Which game content will be available in the beta?

To start off, we will be focusing on the multiplayer experience only. We’ve added an exciting array of new units and abilities to the terrans, protoss, and zerg, and we’d like to have as many eyes on them as possible.

Will [AWESOME SWARM FEATURES X, Y, AND Z] be available in the beta?

Additional Heart of the Swarm features will also become available in future phases of the beta test. More details will be announced at a later date.

How long will the beta test last?

We have not determined an exact end date for the end of the beta test. We will notify participants when the beta test is nearing completion.

Will Mac users be able to participate in the beta?

Yes, Mac users will be able to participate in the beta at the same time as Windows users.

Which languages are supported in the beta?

While the Heart of the Swarm beta will be accessible in all regions, the languages supported for the beta will only include the following: English, German, French, and Korean. Support for additional languages may be added later.

Do I need StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty to participate in the beta?

No, you do not need to have purchased StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty to participate in the beta. With that said, your level of Wings of Liberty activity may play a role in your chances of being selected as a beta tester.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7157306/Heart_of_the_Swarm_Beta_Now_Live_-9_4_2012

@TheVoxelman on twitter