By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online is lacking

windbane said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Nintendo's trying to keep it very accessible, now anyone can go online find a mtch and enjoy, no worries about being harrassed, or how good they are, just a fun game that lasts a few minutes

Stats are motivation to play.  With no voice chat you can't be made fun of anyway.   

I guess Nintendo figures fun ought to be the motivation to play. Though I'm sure a lot of us here find stats fun...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

If I want to go find some of THE BEST players of CounterStrike, TF2, whatever, I cannot do that easily. The best way for me to find the best TF2 players would be to go in forums or TF2 fansites where there are clans or events...that's where the good players would be.

For Brawl, there will be tournaments and regular matches set up through websites...and that would be the best way to fight against good players, whether Brawl had leaderboards or not.

And I do think it has invisible leaderboards that help set you up with players of similar wins/losses...Mario Strikers did.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Online sucks.

I win this thread. 

Online sucks.

I win this thread. 

windbane said:
jlrx said:
The argument against stats is completely inane. If you dont care about them, then they dont affect you in any way so having stats would only be a plus for those who want them.

If you dont care about any kind of stats, why be against it? Your insanity is growing from the lack of a logical counter point to that statement.

We dont need leaderboards, but I like stats, and I like the ability to do a "quick match" and have someone connected to someone with similar level of experience.

I wont be anywhere near the first 500,000 ranked people ever, but I always like to know how im doing compared to others, competition is good, the only people who dont keep score are the people who never learned to accept a loss. (The same kind of freaks who think its a good idea to not keep score during a little league game)

I agree with everything you've said.

I'm not sure why people are arguing against it.  Some Nintendo fans are very strange.  It's like they don't want extra features.  

If you don't want stats don't play a ranked game or turn stats off, or just don't care!  Exactly!  A lot of people want stats.  It's not going to change whether I play the game but it might change how long I play.  If you want online games and people to play against, stats are a great way to keep people playing.

AKAIK, brawl doesn't have stat tracking, so if I were you I wouldn't call the people against stats whiners. If you ask me you're whining because you want stats. And if your main incentive to keep playing a game is some random stat, then why even get the game? I'm going to play brawl because super smash bros. games are FUN, not for some random number that's supposed to 'identify' me. Everyone says wii games are only for casuals, yet you bitch about brawl not having leaderboards? Why would casuals want leaderboards? I don't care who doesn't have a life and plays brawl 18 hours a day, I just want to hop on, get in a game or two, and hop back off and continue with my life. I don't need some statistic to tell me how good I am at it.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Yeap , that sucks ... mayeb a patch will fix this later on ...

or maybe it will be delayed, so they can change this! MUHAHAHAHA

I'm just kidding, I doubt it will get delayed.

on topic: that kind of stinks

windbane said: 

I'm not sure why people are arguing against it.

No, you're choosing to ignore the counter arguments because you have no regard for the opinions of others.

LEADERBOARDS ARE BAD, M'KAY? BECAUSE... 

1. IT ENCOURAGES PLAYERS TO CHEAT TO PROTECT THEIR RANKING.

2. IT ENCOURAGES PEOPLE TO DROP FROM GAMES TO PROTECT THEIR RANKING.

3. THE BEST SSBB PLAYERS IN THE WORLD WILL BE DETERMINED BY TOURNAMENTS HELD ON SMASHBOARDS.COM 

Those are all excellent reasons for why ranking systems suck, but it doesn't seem to get through your head.

I don't think anyone here is really AGAINST the idea, it's that we're not going to have a good long sulk over it not being in the game. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother said:
windbane said: 

I'm not sure why people are arguing against it.

No, you're choosing to ignore the counter arguments because you have no regard for the opinions of others.

LEADERBOARDS ARE BAD, M'KAY? BECAUSE... 

1. IT ENCOURAGES PLAYERS TO CHEAT TO PROTECT THEIR RANKING.

2. IT ENCOURAGES PEOPLE TO DROP FROM GAMES TO PROTECT THEIR RANKING.

3. THE BEST SSBB PLAYERS IN THE WORLD WILL BE DETERMINED BY TOURNAMENTS HELD ON SMASHBOARDS.COM 

Those are all excellent reasons for why ranking systems suck, but it doesn't seem to get through your head.

I don't think anyone here is really AGAINST the idea, it's that we're not going to have a good long sulk over it not being in the game. 

Windbane obviously hasn't played Phantom Hourglass or any other wifi games with stats.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

I understand wanting stats, but pitching a fit about them not being in the game is just silly.

Does anyone think that if Ken went up against the highest ranked person on the SSBB leaderboard that he wouldn't completely steamroll the guy?

If you want to find out how skilled you are, play in tournaments.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Im going to continue to disagree with you, because I shouldnt have to play in some tournament to see how I am stacking up against the rest of the planet. I'd like to give a tournament a try, i'd like to play people of a similar skill level and id like to know how I stack up against the people of the earth.

If the only way I can do that is go on a website, and find a tournament, well no, thats not sufficient. You talk about fun, but that is subjective to ones opinion. I'd find a tournament fun as much as i'd find the game fun when picking it up and playing a match in 20 minutes before putting it down again.

I wouldnt even care if the stats were in leaderboards either, if it were just for your own personal info, I could live with it, open up SSBB and it tells me "Your ranked 8,329,983 in the world, and ranked 4,382,212 in the USA! , you've done A and B and C and D, and you have X win/loss streak you've disconnected Y times.

I'd live with that, and id like that.