By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Skyward Sword Thread!!

Tagged games:

Didn't Red Dead Redemption win a bunch of Game of the Year awards last year in spite of coming out in May or something?

This isn't cinema, the people in charge of awarding GOTY awards actually have the brain capacity to remember all year :P

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Didn't Red Dead Redemption win a bunch of Game of the Year awards last year in spite of coming out in May or something?

This isn't cinema, the people in charge of awarding GOTY awards actually have the brain capacity to remember all year :P

Sadly, this is true (and I even fall victim for it.)

It's easy to remember how epic that Zelda game was, or how cool Xenoblade was, or how Arkham City is GOTY, when you're playing it. Trying to remember why Portal 2 was so awesome when it's 6 months ago is a greater challenge, for example. Even if it's the better game...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Runa216 said:

Sadly, this is true (and I even fall victim for it.)

It's easy to remember how epic that Zelda game was, or how cool Xenoblade was, or how Arkham City is GOTY, when you're playing it. Trying to remember why Portal 2 was so awesome when it's 6 months ago is a greater challenge, for example. Even if it's the better game...

Not really, ME2 won a bunch a GOTY awards and came on the beggining of the year.

Portal 2 may have a lower chance, but it is still a strong contender.

Runa216 said:

Not trying to insult you or anyone in particular, but I don't hold video game press higher than any form of mainstream critics.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Runa216 said:

Not trying to insult you or anyone in particular, but I don't hold video game press higher than any form of mainstream critics.

Infact you could argue that video game press is much lower in average, due to personal attachment or resentment caused by console wars. Plus or minus the cases of favourable "reviewing". 

Add: I mean look at one of the most prestigous Video Game Awards show (Spike TV one), it is basically a MTV movie award without the humour and arguably comparable to the teen choice award hosted by the same network, and parent company; which is MTV. 

Edit: Guess I was wrong, Teen Choice Award is Fox, guess it is possible to be lower than MTV. 

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Runa216 said:

All I'm saying is that at least game critics are more in tune with their audience than film critics are.  that's all. (and we all know the only 'best picture' nominees come out in the fall because all the old fogies can't remember what happened in May :P)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Acevil said:
outlawauron said:
Runa216 said:

Infact you could argue that video game press is much lower in average, due to personal attachment or resentment caused by console wars. Plus or minus the cases of favourable "reviewing". 

Add: I mean look at one of the most prestigous Video Game Awards show (Spike TV one), it is basically a MTV movie award without the humour and arguably comparable to the teen choice award hosted by the same network, and parent company; which is MTV. 

Edit: Guess I was wrong, Teen Choice Award is Fox, guess it is possible to be lower than MTV. 

I wouldn't dare bring up the VGAs as that wouldn't be fair to all of the media. I've never seen a more ridiculous event. (although, as you say, maybe Teen Choice Awards outdoes it)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

spurgeonryan said:
Soriku said:
Conegamer said:

That was the idea

But they are the ones who tend to be rather harsh. For example, they game Sonic Colours a 5, Monster Hunter Tri and Pokemon Black a 7, and Xenoblade an 8. 

It's only the 2nd Zelda game to achieve 10/10 from Edge, and the first this year (I think).

Edge gave Xenoblade a 9.

From what I am told Xenoblade is really good, so this just tells us how good Zelda actually is!

Edge gave Pokemon Black/White an 8, too.

"Where Twilight Princess’ gizmos gathered dust after glorious debut dungeons, Skyward Sword keeps its kitbag tight and in constant circulation with ingenious multitasking and surprise upgrades along the way."

That part from the Eurogamer review really gets me hyped up for Skyward Sword. I've always wanted items to be useful throughout the game not just to get through one dungeon.

Signature goes here!

Oh my god! It's the Game of the Forever! It.has.a.99.at.GameRankings.

And we don't need more reviews. 2 are enough.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile