By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Last Story being released in Australia...Nintendo continues to crap on their most dedicated fans!!!

mike_intellivision said:
RolStoppable said:
mike_intellivision said:
The question is not why did NoA not release it here. The question is why did NoE release it.
According to a certain website, Xenoblade has sold 95k copies in EMEAA in eight weeks of release.
That is less than 5M euros of revenue (not profit, gross revenue) from which translation, preparation, production, shipping, and packaging will have to be paid.
For comparison, Just Dance 3 sold 120k copies in the Americas in its first week of release.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Yes, I want to play this game too. But economics say it is not as big a deal to most people as people here are making it out to be.

If you only look at it in revenue terms for the game itself, then you would be right.

But this is one of those titles that help to keep your passionate customers being passionate. Having them is the most powerful marketing tool for a company, because it is not only free advertising, but more effective too. Making decisions that make you lose passionate customers is not good, but making decisions that turn these customers into advocates against your products is even worse. The impact of not releasing Xenoblade and others in America could go far beyond pure revenue numbers for these games.

Xenoblade and The Last Story certainly aren't comparable to the likes of Disaster: Day of Crisis and Excitebots. The latter two are pretty forgettable, but those JRPGs are among the best the genre had to offer in the last five years, so losing out on these games is actually going to piss people off and casts huge doubts on Nintendo's promise of being more comitted to the hardcore gamer in the future.

Rol -- You make a really good point. Essentially, to me your point appears to be that NoE is thinking long-term while NoA is thinking today.  Thus NoE will take a bit of a hit to ensure people will be buying their consoles while NoA does not want to do that.

And given the fact that translations already exist in English, the cost of bringing this to North America would be even less for NoA. (And other languages have also been done if you were going to release outside of US and most of Canada).

Personally, I wonder what NoA has up their sleeve for 2012 for North America on the Wii. Because it could get really really dry after the holidays.  (The same goes for NCL in Japan and NoE in Europe)

Mike from Morgantown

yes, after SS and Kirby I don't see any significant software releases for the Wii!!!

Around the Network
oni-link said:
Xen said:
Jumpin said:
Europeans when a game doesn't get released in their country: Go and import said game.
Americans when a game doesn't get released in their country; WHAAAAH! WHAAAAAAAAAH!! WHAAAAAAAA!

Pretty much.

well seeing that NA is their BIGGEST market and said games actually cater to most loyal Nintendo fans; those games should be released with no question.  Instead Nintendo japan or NOA just slaps it's core fanbase in the face again by refusing to release just these 3 games!!!

I really don't think entitlement issues really justify whining and crying as a more productive solution than importing =P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

And once again NoA is shown up and made to look ridiculous. I will never get why they seem to be content on crapping all over Nintendo's biggest fanbase as of late. I suppose they could still announce a release, but it certainly is taking a long time, and the fact that Australia is beating them to the punch is not very reassuring.

Btw, the localization of The Last Story must be very advanced. At GameCity in Vienna, a small game convention in Austria, the game's already playable in German.

I took one picture in order to have a proof but I noticed it's not very representative. Tomorrow I'll take another picture. Pandora's Tower however was also playable but in Japanese. So I guess The Last Story will release first in Europe and Australia.

....just absolute bullshit....

looks like more of my money will be headed to Sony and MS....your lost Ninty(well NoA)

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Maybe if people stopped buying the same Mario, Zelda etc games over and over they would try releasing something different. Blames yourselves.

I'll never blame myself, when I've bought like 50 Wii games, 75% of them third party, and 90% of them non Mario or Zelda games.

It's not like Nintendo/third parties gives us much of a choice besides Mario and Zelda games in the first place, at least when we're talking in terms of quality..

Metallicube said:
KylieDog said:
Maybe if people stopped buying the same Mario, Zelda etc games over and over they would try releasing something different. Blames yourselves.

I'll never blame myself, when I've bought like 50 Wii games, 75% of them third party, and 90% of them non Mario or Zelda games.

It's not like Nintendo/third parties gives us much of a choice besides Mario and Zelda games in the first place, at least when we're talking in terms of quality..

I gotta go with Metallicube on this one?  Just because more people like Mario games that they should stop buying what they like to support somethihg they might not care about?? Who says that just cause i like Mario Galaxy i might not enjoy some Xenoblade? Variety is the spice of life, something that Ninty, well NOA anyway has forgot

KylieDog does have a point. It's just he used the wrong games as an example.

The Wii userbase has cosistantly bought the crappy minigame collections, this brings the exact same stuff from 3rd parties and Nintendo themselves. During E3, aside from Zelda, Reggie's main focus was Wii Play Motion. Yeah, I'm serious. Wii Play Motion.

Nintendo of America are only guilty of giving the Wii userbase what they've been buying since the Wii released, which can be described as "games with low production values". They don't think Xenoblade, Last Story, etc. will sell well enough for it to be worth the localisation. They think Wii Play Motion is worth it. It's that simple.

Carl2291 said:
KylieDog does have a point. It's just he used the wrong games as an example.

The Wii userbase has cosistantly bought the crappy minigame collections, this brings the exact same stuff from 3rd parties and Nintendo themselves. During E3, aside from Zelda, Reggie's main focus was Wii Play Motion. Yeah, I'm serious. Wii Play Motion.

Nintendo of America are only guilty of giving the Wii userbase what they've been buying since the Wii released, which can be described as "games with low production values". They don't think Xenoblade, Last Story, etc. will sell well enough for it to be worth the localisation. They think Wii Play Motion is worth it. It's that simple.

I kinda see what you are saying but looking at the sales for WiiPlayMotion im thinking they were wrong

They were 100% wrong.

What the Wii needed (needs), was consistant releases. Anything atThey had the chance and didn't take it at all. Reggie should be fired IMO.