By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm outta here.

Around the Network

Jurassic Park on sega genesis. My friend said it was the best game ever but i played it for like an hour and it was totally not. So overrated.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

The vast majority of games average above 70% on average review scores.

Games rated above 90% average reviews are usually over rated. High profile games are over rated and undeservedly receive review scores 5% to 10% higher than they really deserve. Highly rated game reviews are nothing more than a marketing tool by big game developers to promote the games to consumers.

Game review scores are subjective/controversial based on the reviewers opinion of the game. Game sales objectively measure the success of games regardless of their game scores. 

For me overrated means realizing, in retrospect, that the game either wasn't nearly as good as thought, or it's impact was much less than it seemed.

So GTA IV for me is a good example because after the frenzy of hype and critical praise it dawned that, actually, the game has had minimal impact in general and that the game itself was only decent, with little really groundbreaking or amazing about it. In short, GTA IV was judged based on the impact of the games that came before it but had far less impact nor was actually as good as them.

Few games are truly overrated, mostly people just say something the don't like is overrated. But GTA IV I think genuinely is. However I think this is generally accepted anyway.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I completely agree on Bioshock and GTAIV, somewhat agree on GOW and Halo and totally disagree on FFVII and Zelda OOT. Never played COD (It's not my genre :) ) .

Around the Network
Booh! said:
I completely agree on Bioshock and GTAIV, somewhat agree on GOW and Halo and totally disagree on FFVII and Zelda OOT. Never played COD (It's not my genre :) ) .

Yeah, I think people like to mention FF7 and Ocarina of Time to be edgy. Truth is, these games are both generally both more fun and more satisfying than other games in the Epic Adventure/RPG genre; and I say this as a fan of the genre so I may be a little off, but more so than any other games period.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

lol so every game that is in 90% is overated.... so tell me which game are rated right ??? and really AAA games better than most sited.... cause a lot of them do deserve better than the one rightfully rated at 70/100

Reasonable said:
For me overrated means realizing, in retrospect, that the game either wasn't nearly as good as thought, or it's impact was much less than it seemed.

So GTA IV for me is a good example because after the frenzy of hype and critical praise it dawned that, actually, the game has had minimal impact in general and that the game itself was only decent, with little really groundbreaking or amazing about it. In short, GTA IV was judged based on the impact of the games that came before it but had far less impact nor was actually as good as them.

Few games are truly overrated, mostly people just say something the don't like is overrated. But GTA IV I think genuinely is. However I think this is generally accepted anyway.

your one of the few that makes sense, as usual

Jumpin said:
Booh! said:

Yeah, I think people like to mention FF7 and Ocarina of Time to be edgy. Truth is, these games are both generally both more fun and more satisfying than other games in the Epic Adventure/RPG genre; and I say this as a fan of the genre so I may be a little off, but more so than any other games period.

THis, if we go by Reasonable's explanation (which is sound). then those two games cant be overrated. FF7 and OOT had a huge impact. FF7 is what really made JRPGs popular in the US, no game before was able to do that. OOT changed what was thought possible on home consoles. I dont know about digital WiiWare sales but looking at the 3DS sales, that game is still quite popular. FF7 still sells in the top 20 on PSN, and it was released summer 09? THATS staying power!

oniyide said:
Reasonable said:

your one of the few that makes sense, as usual

agreed... but then again GTA created the genre.... so like I said in my post most of those serialized games are living on the legacy of the original.... and people still think they are the best in the lot.... it's like movies.... first one is usually the best... at number 5 they suck but people still go see it because they are use to it and there isn't really any solid competition yet.... cause like I asked if those ones are overated which one are the AAA gaames in the genre??? cause they might be overated but they usually still pound the competition (a lot because they have more production money in the first place anyway) it's like star wars yeah the 3 last (first) ones weren't as orgasmic but what better space opera you have seen really ?? same with indiana jones beside the boobs I still rather watch an indi than a lara croft movie :D