By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overrated Games

Games are weird. Most major releases get 70-90 percent averages, and few games are truly bad, but some games get remarkably high scores in spite of mediocrity. Put simply, I want to know what games YOU think are overrated and why. I have a pretty substantial list myself, so naturally I go first.

1 – Halo series

Don't get me wrong, Halo is a GOOD series. Tight control, phenomenal soundtrack, above average story...but it's so bland. The weapons are boring and ineffectual, the enemies are basically the same thing over and over again, the levels are repetitive and uninspired, the graphics (though technically impressive) are lacking in originality or creativity, and I personally find the multiplayer to be unfulfilling. Basically it's a 'good' game with 'great' production values. Nothing special, but it is well done.

2 – The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Not the game's fault, though. The game itself was great, but the controller in which you played it sucked, the game looked horrid (seriously, I think Link to the Past looked more aesthetically pleasing), the controls were clunky, and the game was just....bleh. For its time it was supposedly impressive, and I give it that, but it has NOT held up at all. I got the 3DS version, and I have to say: if you're gonna play zelda, play it with decent graphics and gameplay, not that glitchy, stiff BS on the N64.

3 – Grand Theft auto IV

HEY NIKO ITS ROMAN WANT TO GO SHOOT SOME POOL?! I'm sorry, the characters were all annoying as hell, the story was generic, the world was gray and brown, the physics made it feel like you were driving on ice all the damn time, and they took out EVERYTHING that made Vice City and San Andreas awesome. Basically it was Grand Theft Auto III with improved graphics and more annoying characters.

4 – Final Fantasy VII

One of my alltime favorites, but wow is it overrated. The main character's a douche, the enemy's a neo-pagan mamma's boy in a trenchcoat, the characters lack individuality in battle (Save their limit breaks), the character graphics and animations were atrocious even for their time (but people were awestruck by this new 3D technology so it got a free pass), and well that's it, actually. I loved the game thoroughly, but my god it has its flaws that people are willing to gloss over too easily.

5 – God of War series

I'm sorry, I hate Kratos with a passion. This isn't tragedy, this is a colossal prick getting his comeuppance. It's not well told, it's not engaging, it's not ironic, it's just BAD. The story and characters suck, but everyone plays it for the brutal gameplay anyway, right? Well too bad, it's basically “Billy's first Action Game”, making the combat pathetically simplistic and repetitive, aside from some refreshing quick time commands to spice up the bigger enemies. The level design is cheap and annoying, the bosses are lame and uninteresting, the gameplay is repetitive and simple, it's too easy for most of the game but resorts to cheap difficulty in others. I do not see what's so special about it.

6 – Call of Duty Modern Warfare series (I don't play the other ones so I can't discuss them)

I loves me come call of duty, but something can be said about a game series made almost strictly as a multiplayer game with a shoddy, boring, poorly presented campaign mode being tacked on. Modenrn Warfare 1 was great, it had exposition, pacing, plot, dialogue, and well-developed characters, but Modern Warfare 2 was basically “What if Michael Bay directed a videogame”, nothing but 5 (short) hours of constant climax with no exposition or flow. Almost every mission was confusing and poorly explained, and while playing you got killed entirely too often because you couldn't find cover. The campaign mode is garbage all around save some cool set pieces, but the multiplayer is arguably the best console multiplayer available.

7 – Bioshock

Okay, so I understand the story and atmosphere are unrivaled, but am I the only one who felt the controls were nigh unplayable and t he difficulty curve was bullshit? Seems I'm the only one. I just know I didn't have any fun playing this game due to the combination of poor controls and unbalanced gameplay. Or maybe I just suck, I dunno.

These are all unanimously praised games that have considerable flaws that people glosss over. Give credit where it's due, but be fair, people. Games have flaws, even the best games aren't perfect, so stop giving 8/10 games 10/10, it screws up the bellcurve.

I also personally think ALL sports games are overrated, but I understand they cater to an audience and do so well, so I let them play their games while I play mine. Brofist.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Ocarina of Time is always my first answer, TP slaughters it in every way!
Then I have to call the Metroid Prime series, they are boring and dull.
Then we have the SMG series, the are good, but not SO good.

Hmm, I actually agree with all of the above. Maybe not in the order you put them in, but not bad.

Because GTA IV is not at the top, I should report you :)

I still think the most overrated game of all time is FF VIII.  I hate draw magic so much that everytime I have tried to play the damn game, I feel like Im about to have a Hulk Moment.

I came to realize (with 11k posts and a couple of years of hard thinking) that there's no such thing as an overrated game.

Games are rated the way they are for a reason and I simply don't value my opinion enough to think that it's above the majority's.

Boutros said:
I came to realize (with 11k posts and a couple of years of hard thinking) that there's no such thing as an overrated game.

Games are rated the way they are for a reason and I simply don't value my opinion enough to think that it's above the majority's.

This.

I know this game thread will be filled with blah, blah, blah *insert big name title that everyone loves to hate on to make themselves feel better about their console/genre of taste* blah, blah, blah.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

this

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

List of overrated games are overrated.

ME2 for me.
I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one and thought it was pretty much a lot of filler material. There were only 3 main story missions in the whole game. Sure a lot of the recruitment missions were good, but when I thought the game was finally going to start it was over an hour later. For me it was the biggest "Is that it?" feeling of the year.

And dare I say it, not a video game but Star wars the original series. I just watched it again on blu-ray, first time since I saw it some 20 years ago. It looks great, sounds even better, but the lines and acting, ugh. And Han Solo is an arrogant ass. The graphics aged better then the screenplay.

morenoingrato said:
Ocarina of Time is always my first answer, TP slaughters it in every way!
Then I have to call the Metroid Prime series, they are boring and dull.
Then we have the SMG series, the are good, but not SO good.

lol Metroid Prime 1 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are my 2 fav games of all time! Also i thought OoT was way better than TP. 

Infamous, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Oblivion, Limbo, Dragon Age: Origins, all Forza games (floaty car physics

I am the Playstation Avenger.