Forums - Sales Discussion - 10 Week Countdown 2011 - End Results

Wk1 Wk2 Wk3 Wk4 Wk5 Wk6 Wk7 Wk8 Wk9 Wk10 Total
Wii 210 240 300 460 850 635 830 950 1,000 420 5,895
PS3 255 295 320 320 680 570 650 800 910 520 5,310
X360 215 235 400 390 850 580 640 880 950 450 5,590
3DS 265 340 370 470 1,000 850 1,100 1,150 1,250 650 7,445

I have made some adjustments to all my predictions

Around the Network

I've entered some initial numbers to my predictions post, but don't add them to the OP as they will likely change a lot by the time sunday comes.

^_^

I've done my daily update to the tables. With 12 entries we're halfway the record 24 participants in 2009 (2010 had 23).

3 days left.

I'm thinking of two things and would like to hear if you think this is ok.

-Firstly for any missing numbers or '*' I will give you the maximum of 100 points. This rarely happens, but I'll also limit the maximum score for anyone who did enter a prediction to 100. This way everyone will end up in all the scoring tables, which is easier for me than taking a person out. (last year there were 6 who chose not to predict for DS and PSP)

-Secondly I will not score the Total sales at the end of the game, but leave it at the 10 weeks. Last year we did score the Total and then multiplied the score by 3. It's supposed to reward the one's who might not have done so well it the 10 weeks, but may have had the right total. Those two are heavily correlated anyway and can in my oppinion make the end a little strange.

I'll repost since it was an edit and I don't think anyone has read it.

I don't see why you guys think the 3ds is going to explode. It's doing so poorly...And wii holding at Q1-3? I just can't see that happening. And ps3 not the highest home selling console? Last time they had an early price drop and final fantasy in japan, they held level with their q1-3 performance (2009). And this week (10/22) is looking like on par with 2010 of the same week, where the year ended off with 6500.

But in 2010, there were literally 0 big ps3 releases in the last 10 weeks, and here there are 5. Holding level with this year would mean 7.2m. I'm at 6.1 and I feel like it's low.

Do you guys know something that I don't? You think a console that sold 7.2m during the year is going to simply lose 1.4m? What's weird is you guys all have the other consoles at level. xbox 6 -> 5.9, wii 5.8 -> 5.8, but ps3 with a recent price drop, 5-6 big games (including a GOTY contender exclusive), and it's missing 1.4m? How?

I mean last year xbox had some huge games come out, had a recent slim model and price drop, kinect unveiling, etc etc, and just barely stayed level.

Just noticed that this year, last week has no january days in it. My sales should be a lot higher for that week.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

I don't see why you guys think the 3ds is going to explode. It's doing so poorly...And wii holding at Q1-3? I just can't see that happening. And ps3 not the highest home selling console? Last time they had an early price drop and final fantasy in japan, they held level with their q1-3 performance (2009). And this week (10/22) is looking like on par with 2010 of the same week, where the year ended off with 6500.

But in 2010, there were literally 0 big ps3 releases in the last 10 weeks, and here there are 5. Holding level with this year would mean 7.2m. I'm at 6.1 and I feel like it's low.

Do you guys know something that I don't? You think a console that sold 7.2m during the year is going to simply lose 1.4m? What's weird is you guys all have the other consoles at level. xbox 6 -> 5.9, wii 5.8 -> 5.8, but ps3 with a recent price drop, 5-6 big games (including a GOTY contender exclusive), and it's missing 1.4m? How?

I mean last year xbox had some huge games come out, had a recent slim model and price drop, kinect unveiling, etc etc, and just barely stayed level.

Just noticed that this year, last week has no january days in it. My sales should be a lot higher for that week.

That's a lot of question lol where to begin. Note that my own predictions may not agree yet with what I state below.

Wii is more casual meaning it's bound to do better during the holidays. It think it'll hold at Q1-3.

PS3 has seen quite some adjustments for the post-price cut numbers, but if they hold at Q1-3 that would be their biggest holiday yet. PS3 has less of the casual market. As for the weak exclusives in 2010, it had GT5 which is still pretty huge.

X360 has a pretty good casual market share in the Americas. I'm thinking around 5.8 is ok.

I think everyone is thinking 3DS will become attractive to the casual with Mario Kart and Super Mario which will make it explode. If you low-ball it and you're right you'll get massive points otherwise everyone else it right and you'll be last :).

non-gravity said:
theprof00 said:

That's a lot of question lol where to begin. Note that my own predictions may not agree yet with what I state below.

Wii is more casual meaning it's bound to do better during the holidays. It think it'll hold at Q1-3.

PS3 has seen quite some adjustments for the post-price cut numbers, but if they hold at Q1-3 that would be their biggest holiday yet. PS3 has less of the casual market. As for the weak exclusives in 2010, it had GT5 which is still pretty huge.

X360 has a pretty good casual market share in the Americas. I'm thinking around 5.8 is ok.

I think everyone is thinking 3DS will become attractive to the casual with Mario Kart and Super Mario which will make it explode. If you low-ball it and you're right you'll get massive points otherwise everyone else it right and you'll be last :).

Wii is more casual, but the problem is that they are their own enemy. How many wii's are going to sell that haven't sold yet? Casuals are going to want the new gadget. Wii is 5 years old now, and every console has a fitness game now, and let's face it, wii is driven by the wii fit'ers. With no big casual draw on the horizon, it's looking dire. Add to that that they introduced the new gadget, the 3DS, which is going to steal attention, and everyone knows wii2 is on the horizon...even the casuals. Suffice to say, 5.8 sounds right to me, unless we see some kind of pricedrop, which is dubious.

What are these adjustments for ps3 btw? Up or down? It looks like the gap closed a bit (finally broke the 3m barrier, lol) I doubt they will hold at Q1-3, but for a lot of people, Bluray is becoming a big deal, and HD is reaching a stronghold. Add to that, Uncharted has now become THE franchise to play. FF is going to sell several hundred thousand on its own in Japan, and with Battlefield's media attention, the new ps3 bundle is going to be fantastic. And yes, a gt5 is huge, but FF, UNcharted 3, and the battlefield bundle combined will be bigger. 5 of the last 11 weeks see huge games on the ps3. It is going to take the first 3 weeks, turn them into typical week 4s, boost typical 4 to typical 6, 5 to 7, and 7,8,9,10 will have an extra 50-100 thousand each. Right there we're looking at 500-700 thousand more units (mostly from hitting so many big games all at once ie sum is greater than the individual constituents combined). Then we add in the fact that the price was recently dropped, and we're talking 1m+ total boost of course we should subtract 2-300 thousand for gt5 last year and factor in the 8% yoy drop....I'm thinking ~500k over holiday last year, which would mean I'm off by about 200k, which could fit in perfectly with my week 10, and a little shuffling around.

Xbox I think will hold at 5.8 and maybe see some increase. I'm betting that it won't, but I do feel like a price derp is incoming on a kinect bundle, and of course, walmart gives free 100$ gift cards every year with a 360 so... But, 360 had a big year last holiday with lots of games, kinect, redesign, pricedrop.

Oh and yeah, I just don't see that much interest in the 3ds. People are going a little overboard, I think. It's a good console, and definitely worth buying (even if just for being able to take 3d pictures), but DS style weeks in the holidays? Maybe, maybe not. I'm thinking not. At least not with the DS still on the market.

I ran the numbers with psp and ds included, and the problem I keep seeing is that the ds, even with a huge drop of 65%,it is still taking up too much of the market. There's only so many people interested in handhelds, and with smartphone competition, there's even less.
3ds MIGHT sell 1.4m in a week if not one person buys a regular ds. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.
I think Nintendo made a huge mistake in releasing multiple ds variants, ds lite, dsxl, dsi, etc... people are starting to look at the 3ds like it's simply a small upgrade. They could use some more advertising to fix this.

theprof00 said:

What are these adjustments for ps3 btw? Up or down? 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4278666

After the NPD September PS3 numbers got a boost, roughly 15% up on the 8-okt week. See this is: after the price-cut PS3 has been selling 15% more than VGChartz lead you believe; the price-cut was more effective.

Also 3DS 20% down.

Edit: your post above has a good point, but sshh before the others see :p

Wk1 Wk2 Wk3 Wk4 Wk5 Wk6 Wk7 Wk8 Wk9 Wk10 Total
Wii 175 192 260 350 660 660 800 900 950 400 5347
PS3 270 330 360 360 690 562 630 850 880 500 5432
X360 248 265 390 400 800 630 750 1020 1080 460 6043
3DS 260 330 380 450 870 830 960 1030 1120 550 6780

These are my predictions. I think I've probably under estimated the Wii, but I'm not sure where to add the numbers to.
I'm not sure how the 3ds is going to do at all.