By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Conegamer said:

Every week it seems more and more improbable...

...of course, with Halo and MW3, anything can happen, right? And Kinect could be crazy again, like last year. Seems like you know something we don't Seece. Willing to give us a few hints?

I fully understand it seeming improbable to a lot of people, and MW3 will give 360 a great boost but that will really only affect the next 2, maybe 3 weeks, Halo won't really do anything significant for HW, it's just a remake.

True. Looking down the Americas pre-order chart from this week, it would seem that Halo is the only real exclusive that could really push some HW (and, as you said, it's a remake anyway, so it's unlikely to do more than a 5-10% boost by itself, but factor in the holiday rush and you're looking more like 15-20% up WoW at least).

I suppose it all comes down to advertising and Kinect then. There's also some pretty sexy 360 bundles in Walmart for Black Friday, so that could help.

Number 1 for 2011? Probably not. Number one for the holiday period? De-throning the Wii? Now that's not out of the question...

De throning the wii won't be remotely difficult, Nintendo are only forecasting about 7 mill shipped this holiday, both Sony and MS expect to do more than that.

Wii will sell well like it always does, and won't be as down this year as previous years, but it will be down. PS3 is the 360's target not Wii, 360 is already ahead of Wii this year in shipments 2 mill.

Around the Network

oh, when you posted "But then I know stuff you guys don't so I shouldn't be mean ", you implied that you had some inside information. I guess not. In that case, I re-assert my prediction that it's not going to happen.

Seece said:
Conegamer said:

Every week it seems more and more improbable...

...of course, with Halo and MW3, anything can happen, right? And Kinect could be crazy again, like last year. Seems like you know something we don't Seece. Willing to give us a few hints?

I fully understand it seeming improbable to a lot of people, and MW3 will give 360 a great boost but that will really only affect the next 2, maybe 3 weeks, Halo won't really do anything significant for HW, it's just a remake.

well 2 weeks after MW3 is thanksgiving day right?

I think Seece thinks theres a slight possibility of this Holiday being Wii-like for the 360 in America. It's definately possible, but the question is, is it enough to combat PS3 in "EMEAA" and Japan?

EMEAA is probably gonna be flat or slightly up for PS3, Japan will probably be up.

I'm on my phone now, but later Im gonna do some more research on probable/possible numbers for both.

Carl2291 said:
I think Seece thinks theres a slight possibility of this Holiday being Wii-like for the 360 in America. It's definately possible, but the question is, is it enough to combat PS3 in "EMEAA" and Japan?

EMEAA is probably gonna be flat or slightly up for PS3, Japan will probably be up.

I'm on my phone now, but later Im gonna do some more research on probable/possible numbers for both.

Well, Wii esq in America isn't difficult, X360 outsold Wii in Oct and Nov last holiday, and was 500k behind Wii in December but that was down to shortages (as proved in Q1 the following Q when they shipped a massive amount than they normally do)

Europe is the key here.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

Well, Wii esq in America isn't difficult, X360 outsold Wii in Oct and Nov last holiday, and was 500k behind Wii in December but that was down to shortages (as proved in Q1 the following Q when they shipped a massive amount than they normally do)

Europe is the key here.

EMEAA is a lost cause for 360. Even a price cut won't cut it at this point as you can see from Iberia and Australia.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

Europe is the key here.

EMEAA is a lost cause for 360. Even a price cut won't cut it at this point as you can see from Iberia and Australia.

MS's ambition is #1 in Europe, which isn't an impossible task, EMEAA (what with Asia ect) does highly favour PS3 and I don't think MS expect to be first overall there.

pezus said:
Seece said:
postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

Europe is the key here.

MS's ambition is #1 in Europe, which isn't an impossible task, EMEAA (what with Asia ect) does highly favour PS3 and I don't think MS expect to be first overall there.

Europe won't happen either.

We'll see end of year, people are a bit misinformed of how much PS3 dominates the 360 there, they're not miles apart even after 5 years.

pezus said:
Seece said:
pezus said:
Seece said:
postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

Europe is the key here.

We'll see end of year, people are a bit misinformed of how much PS3 dominates the 360 there, they're not miles apart even after 5 years.

4.5 for PS3 and 6 for 360...The only country in Europe (afaik) that is holding the 360 up is the UK

Couple of months ago they said they're number 1 in a few European countries.

Chris Lewis: Our global ambition for number one status requires us to be number one in Europe. We enjoy a very strong position in North America. In Japan, it is a challenge for us, but it's a market we continue to invest in. But Europe is the region that has to move into number one status in the aggregate.

We're already number one in a number of countries around Europe. UK is a good example of that. We've always held a very strong position there. But given the textured nature of Europe, our ability to apply the marketing focus, retail strategy and partnership strategy as a one size fits all approach in Europe, isn't and hasn't been sufficient for us to get number one everywhere.

This 20 percent growth that I alluded to earlier wasn’t just a UK phenomenon: it’s the case everywhere. Very good year last year last year in France and Germany. Italy does well for us and Benelux does well for us. Nordic always has, but, yeah, we’re trying to be a lot less polarized in the way we approach things, and we’re having success there.

- I don't know where they're number 1 overall though, we only track a few European countries on their own.

Seece said:
pezus said:
Seece said:
postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

Europe is the key here.

PS3 has a 2.3 million lead in Europe, and as Pezus points out with 360 having a year and a half 2 holiday head start. Yes, PS3 does dominate the 360 in Europe. And in regards to 360 winning Europe, they're over 11 million behind Wii. Good luck with that.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4