By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you think it is normal having firearms?

Its not only fair having firearms...its cool!!!

sorry, got a little carried away.

Seriously though they should limit who can have firearms. That means nobody with a serious criminal record, nobody who is/has been in an insane assylum, Also no more than 1 gun. What do you need more than 1 for?

Around the Network

Some guns are more reliable, while other guns have better accuracy, or range, for those that hunt for sport. Or perhaps you might have 1 that you can carry in case you need to repair your other gun.
Or perhaps you might simply have an appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into the various different firearms. People aren't restricted to only having 1 car, so why should they be restricted from having 1 gun?
Heck, the people who do own multiple guns usually do it out of a respect and appreciation of the gun. You only need one gun to kill a person, having 17 guns doesn't mean you can or expect to be able to kill 17 times the number of people with them.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

coolestguyever said:
Its not only fair having firearms...its cool!!!

sorry, got a little carried away.

Seriously though they should limit who can have firearms. That means nobody with a serious criminal record, nobody who is/has been in an insane assylum, Also no more than 1 gun. What do you need more than 1 for?

People with criminal records or insane people aren't allowed to have guns already...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

If you do not have a license, it is illegal to own a gun.

@alex59
Depends on the state, where i grew up in virginia, legal to own a handgun without a license, all you need is a background check. You can carry it around with you if your have it in a holster and fully visible. If you want to carry it concealed, you need a license.

California on the other hand, you need a license to own any handgun, and theres a waiting period of i think 3 months from when you apply to when you can get the gun.

Of course, shotguns and rifles in most states dont require any license and usually can be bought at 18 rather then the 21 yo age for handguns.

For people who think guns equal violence, look at Canada. They have more guns per capita then the US.(i think it was 1 for ever 4 people) yet you dont hear people thinking Canada is a dangerous place to go. You dont need guns to murder people either. Japan has a decent murder rate too, just they like to use knives or bladed instruments instead of guns.

Pretty much, if someone is going to murder someone, people are going to find a way to do it.

To the people that say its dangerous if everyone in the community owned a gun....Why?? I see it as if everyone did own a gun, how likely do you think someone is going to rob a bank or car jack a bus full of people, if they knew that everyone was packing a piece?

Around the Network

I have no problem with firearms, but I can understand those who do.

While some like to paint this as a right-left issue, I find it more an rural-urban divide (admittedly that has a lot of overlap with right-left).

If you live in a rural area, where you have a handful of neighbors within walking distance, where the police may take 30 minutes to get to you, where hunting is a cultural tradition, it's easy to see why you would see guns as a good thing.

If you live in a city, with a cop on the street corner, a higher crime rate, and living in an apartment building cramed with hundreds of people, at least some of whom (statistically speaking) have a short temper and a tenuous grasp on reality, it's easy to understand why you would be suspicious of a person with a firearm.

@JOORA
I was just looking at Interpol data related to murders per capita for Croatia compared to the US. Interestingly Croatia has a higher per capita murder rate then the US, latest data showing a 5.96 people for every 100,000 compared to the US having a 5.51 people for every 100,000.

Ill see if i can look up specifics on how many were gun related or not. so looks to me like even if you say that guns are pretty much illegal or hard to come by, that you still have a higher murder rate percentage in your country compared to the US, where you say you would fear to go.

joora said:
Grey Acumen said:
joora said:

The idea that it is so easy for a person in your community to reach a limit of that nature makes me very concerned for completely different issues in your community than gun ownership.

Well, my community/country hasn't got the issue of large number of murders. Infact, even bare handed brawls are very rare here. In the first post i saw how you wanted to spin this around. Besides, certain amount of people do own a firearm here(some illegaly, some trough hardly acquired license). The rate of illegal weapon possesion isn't even that small, because of the war we went trought some 15 years ago.

Still, there aren't many firearm murders here. Something in the lines of 15-30 per year (whole country). That said, i would like to conclude that those who have illegal/legal possesion of firearms here know how to (not) use em. But i don't think that it would be wise to give the ability of weapon possesion to the whole community.

So your argument fails in multiple ways.

What you just stated should make the issue completely obvious for anyone and everyone. YOU'RE community isn't in the state that most in the USA are in at the moment. They're are a lot of bare-handed brawls, rapes, racial crimes, robberies, etc. that have nothing to do with firearms whatsoever. These crimes happen on a regular basis and without guns.  What does this tell you?  The alarming issue is that our country has a staggering amount of crimes that happen all the time (gun or not).  Our society has a problem (most obviously so when compared to others), but it has nothing to do with firearms.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

joora said:
Grey Acumen said:
joora said:

The idea that it is so easy for a person in your community to reach a limit of that nature makes me very concerned for completely different issues in your community than gun ownership.

Well, my community/country hasn't got the issue of large number of murders. Infact, even bare handed brawls are very rare here. In the first post i saw how you wanted to spin this around. Besides, certain amount of people do own a firearm here(some illegaly, some trough hardly acquired license). The rate of illegal weapon possesion isn't even that small, because of the war we went trought some 15 years ago.

Still, there aren't many firearm murders here. Something in the lines of 15-30 per year (whole country). That said, i would like to conclude that those who have illegal/legal possesion of firearms here know how to (not) use em. But i don't think that it would be wise to give the ability of weapon possesion to the whole community.

So there are a ton of guns in your country yet you have little gun crime... yet you blame guns for violent crime... and his arguement fails in many ways?  Come again?

Kasz216 said:
joora said:
Grey Acumen said:
joora said:

So there are a ton of guns in your country yet you have little gun crime... yet you blame guns for violent crime... and his arguement fails in many ways? Come again?

I don't blame guns for violent crime, i blame people wh use them. But, if you take guns from those people, they won't have the tools that makes it easyer to commit crime.

An there are guns in my country, but i didn't say there is lots of them. No where near america atleast. But, if you want to go with that argument, take Canada. They have loads of guns, yet nowhere near firearm crimes compared to US. So it's obvious that certain portion US citizens can't/don't use guns responsibly, so best solution would be taking the guns from them.