By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What does Sony need to do to win next gen on consoles?

Offer some opinions on what you think Sony needs to do to win back the top spot next gen with their next console.

Sony started out rather slow, most likely due to the high price of the PS3 this gen. They definitely can't be doing that with their next console, as another one with a $600 price tag will be a killer; they should be aiming for a $300 or so price tag initially. They have done a great job with their first party titles this gen, but I think they need to advertise them a little better. While they sell well, they are not the juggernauts that Nintendo's and Microsoft's sales are with their first party titles. With some tweaks, their online system could be really great; a better web browser (if they keep it), some better security (to avoid another fiasco like earlier this year), and maybe some more features. I think the XMB design is great, but it might need some slight tweaking.

EDIT - I forgot one thing. Sony needs to stop advertising a lot of features at first and then removing them.

Around the Network

Finish this one first?

Find out what "winning" means...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

launch a 350-400 dollars console with games for everyone.

Ajescent said:
Finish this one first?

Find out what "winning" means...

You don't think they aren't already planning for next gen? I would think R&D has probably already started on the PS4, even if it's in the really early stages.

Partner up with Google or Apple or even Microsoft to provide hardware and publish games but use their ecosystem and developer tools to support the console and developers with features.

Around the Network

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

just keep bringing out the great games.

Do you think they should start bringing out new colors and limited edition consoles for the West?

Keep their first party developers creating innovative and classic games, learn from their mistakes that gaming needs to be affordable, don't be too ambitious and end up regretting it later (PS2 backwards compatibilty, cell processor).

And most importantly, remember their real fans and try to differentiate themselves from the competition.

sony is probably going to be a lot worse off next gen -- they should just give up. in today's market it is the software/services that are making money not the hardware. as long as sony still positions itself first and foremost as a hardware company that makes some software instead of a software company that also makes some hardware they are going to lose more and more ground as time marches on.