By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What does Sony need to do to win next gen on consoles?

Kantor said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, Blu-ray also equals easy backwards compatibility :D

Well, the PS3 plays DVDs like the PS2 did, and look how that turned out.

Backwards compatibility is a lot more than just a matter of disc format. You have to emulate or replicate the entire system architecture.

And sticking to the CELL with help in that regard aswell.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
sony is probably going to be a lot worse off next gen -- they should just give up. in today's market it is the software/services that are making money not the hardware. as long as sony still positions itself first and foremost as a hardware company that makes some software instead of a software company that also makes some hardware they are going to lose more and more ground as time marches on.

This doesn't make sense at all.

You're saying it as if they aren't making money off of software when it was software sales that kept them floating when they can't have any profit from the hardware. Sure, their main exclusives are not selling as well as Nintendo or MS but they aren't crawling on the dirt either.

Win next gen?
Easy, sell the most consoles

kitler53 said:
sony is probably going to be a lot worse off next gen -- they should just give up. in today's market it is the software/services that are making money not the hardware. as long as sony still positions itself first and foremost as a hardware company that makes some software instead of a software company that also makes some hardware they are going to lose more and more ground as time marches on.

Um are you talking about Sony as a whole or something? Because they are making more money off software then MS is according to the top 5 publishers list so I don't see how they'll have any problems, they also make more software then either of the other big 3.

First off in response to TC, Sony never actually advertised those features and taking out BC reduced the price (which was needed) and taking out other OS secured the system for another year (both things you said they needed to work on) so I don't really see your issue.

Anyways on topic

1. Have the price at absolute most $400 on launch.

2. PS3 BC

3.Either stick with blu ray or go with the 50 gig blu ray but with a much faster read speed

4. Keep the Cell, add more spes and a faster core and improve the dev kit farther but keep it, it has the cheapest processing power to price ratio and will make ps3 BC way easier.

5. Keep up what they doing right now with games and third parties.

6. Make the OS with playing music in background, cross game chat, trophies and all that other stuff in mind.

7. Make the browser decent.

Around the Network

The same things they did with the Playstation 1

Build a middle of the road console, not the most powerful but not the weakest

Don't release first or last

Produce content and offer services that the 2 leading platforms exeled at the previus gen (with PS1 that was family freindly platformers for Nintendo, developer relations and "edgy" and "mature" titles from Sega) next gen would be accessable family freindly titles and simple easy to use OS from Nintendo, unified online stratergy with focus on social interaction and easy to use content delivery and stron from MSrd party relationships and taking exclusives away from the competioin (by making them go multi or exclusive to their platform) from MS.

Make the system developer freindly and easy to develop on.

advertising that focuses on games out of the gate, none of the sureal shit they did with the PS3.

Lock in several exclusive tittles with mass apeal, not neccessarilly inovative hardcore AAA titles that are critical darlings (they should have those as well) but 5+million selling games like GT and they must be available at or near launch.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Launch at 399 max with plenty of software, including some heavy hitters like GT, MGS...

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Buy Nintendo!
lol
Or plan the release of an add-on blue-ray-drive for WiiU and then skip it and just copy-paste nintys console innovations, that worked great at all time.

Just joking ;)

Uh, that was evil.

Sony will not go for a super power high priced console this gen. What do I think they should do?

Sony should release a platform on par with WiiU visually and performance wise. There is no reason for Sony to go much more powerful then that even if Microsoft decides to go super powerful. THQ and other publishers have said if manufacturers were to make a leap like they have in previous generations then game costs could jump as high as 100$ at retail or the publisher/developer would have to sell a shit load more software to break even.

A modest bump in power to the level of WiiU or slightly superior would make PS4 a great console to port to. Sony would get all the greatest software that publishers have. Say Microsoft goes higher end, well they would get a few graphical exclusives that would blow our minds. But most of the software coming to that Nex-Box would be upgraded ports from PS4/WiiU.

In the end I suspect not ready to call it a prediction. But I suspect Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's next gen offerings will all be similar power wise. None of the consoles will be a "True next gen leap forward" it would be to costly and Nintendo has set the bar now. Microsoft and Sony could both go higher end and leave Nintendo with the scraps like last gen, but it would be costly. It makes far more sense for one of the two MS or Sony to go Nintendo's route and leave the other competitor high end picking up the scraps from the lower end consoles.

As far as software goes I expect Sony to drop some franchises like they have in past generations and create some new IP. If they go the Nintendo route expect a lot of Japanese developer support and similar third party support to PS3 outside Japan. Software retail prices can luckily remain about the same and most third parties will be satisfied with the improvements.

Online, PSN is bound to be more secure then when hacked. Offering a two tier system one free one for cost will work in Sony's favor they are directly competing with both Nintendo's online network and X-Box Live. Of course the service could be improved a bit but I think if Sony stays the course they could see much larger success with PS4.

Hardware manufacturing isn't about producing the most powerful hardware you can, its about creating a product that a consumer will buy. Affordability is a big factor for both the consumer and developers.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The first thing they need to focus on is software. Price is important but people won't buy a a console with no games, no matter the price. That was the PS3's biggest problem. It didn't get any blockbuster, system-selling titles until 2008 with Metal Gear Solid 4. That was nearly two years after the console released. During which time, the Xbox 360 had exclusives like Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, along with superior with multiplats like Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, etc. Top it all off with a superior online system at the time and it's clear why the PS3 had such a terrible start. As long as the PS4 starts out the gate with some system-selling exclusives, it's going to do fine, well, better than the PS3 at least, regardless of price.

The PS4's next biggest concern is it's ease of development. The PS3 was such a pain in the ass to develop for that a lot of the earlier games were down right atrocious on the system compared to the 360, nearly forcing gamers to buy the games on the superior console-the Xbox 360. Take a look at some of Sony's top developers and you can see that they are STILL learning the system. Regardless of how 'futuristic' this makes the Ps3 seem, this should not be the case. Developers should be able to get the most out of the console as early as possible.

You have Xbox exclusives which more-or-less get the most out of the system early on. Games like Halo 3 & Gears of War spring to mind. Both of these games had modes like single-player, local multiplayer, online multiplayer, & co-op campaigns. Sure later iterations upped the graphics & other technicalties, but the earlier ones still really optimised the system to the point where the games had all these basic features. These are all system selling features which the PS3 lacked early on.

Look at a franchise like Uncharted that didn't receive online until 2009 & didn't receive local Mp until 2011, you can blame this on the system's difficulty to develop for. Or look at a game like killzone 2. The game released nearly 3 years after the PS3 launch, yet still lacked standardised modes like offline multiplayer or campaign co-op. The series didn't see campaign co-op until 2011 with Killzone 3. And probably the biggest victom of the PS3's foreign architecture is Gran Turismo 5, Sony's biggest game. It didn't release until 2010, a whopping four years after the PS3's launch. How misfortunate. One can only imagine the HW boost this game would have caused if it released in the PS3's launch window. The Last Guardian is another example. The game has been in development for 4-6 years and we STILL don't know when it's releasing. The PS3's foreign architecture is a problem & Sony need not make this same mistake next gen

One can only imagine how big the PS3 would be right now if Uncharted had online, or if Killzone 2 released a year or so earlier with local MP, or even if Gran Turismo 5 was released a few years sooner. I guarantee the PS3 would be a lot bigger.

Now, maybe the problem isn't the PS3. Maybe it's Sony developers. Either way, Sony needs to get it's blockbusters out before the second half of the generation. Developers should be able to optimise the system early on in order to catch those early consumers. Sony has SO MANY developers, I'd hate to see them missing they're full potential next gen because of hardware complications.

Pricing is also important too, but no where near as important as launch games & ease of development.

Of course, that's all my opinion.