By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rate this Gen's Market Leader: Wii

vlad321 said:
mantlepiecek said:
vlad321 said:

So now that I know you can't read I will be more explicit. I did rate the Wii, then I replied to a post that rated the Wii hypocritically by pointing out the hypocrisy of said rating. For a not-butthurt-HD-owner, you seem very defensive about it and are grasping at straws at this point.

Edit: I forgot I will have to state this explicitly for you. This isn't about the PC, it's about the Wii and the hipocrisy of HD owners towards it. The PC comparison just serves to show that hypocrisy.

I know that you rated the wii.

Just because the HD consoles have bad graphics doesn't mean wii doesn't have worse graphics. And that's what Doobie wop pointed out.

Edit: I saw your edit back up there...what makes you think I don't game on a PC? I find it lolworthy.

Since the HD consoels have bad graphics, then their owners should REALLY stfu and stop pretending they like graphics by bashing the Wii. Which is what I pointed out. It's as if a guy with a girlfried who is a 6 made fun of another who had a 4, when there are women that people fuck who are 10s. It's pathetic is what it is.

You almost had me there, then I noticed you had DA:O on PS3. If you are a PC gamer, you are the most lulworthy one I have seen.

I would have probably bought DA Origins on the PC if DA 2 was actually any good. Sure DA is better on the PC, I just wanted an RPG for the PS3 and went on to buy it.

And if you observe there's a specific game I bought on 2 systems and liked it on the PC more. I will leave it to you to find it.

You are asking HD console owners to stfu in a thread that asks people their opinion?

That is obviously not possible. Also you are forgetting that unlike your example, there really is no console that has better graphics than the HD consoles. So a lot of people will rate them as 10. The PC is a dynamic platform; it hardly has a standard for graphics.

Around the Network

8.5/10

+ The key moment was playing Wii Sports for the first time with my cousin. Just a great experience that I feel won't be replicated for a long long time. It was the first time video games felt new again since I first picked up an NES controller when I was 4.

+ The first console in awhile that actually appealed to the masses, with games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, NSMB, Mario Kart, etc.

+ Very diverse library of games.

+ Great controller concept, with a simplistic design.

+ Cheapest console

+ Biggest library

+ Of course, Nintendo's key franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid

- Unrealized potential, both by Nintendo, and third parties. Lacking motion plus games.

- Lacking in power, giving third parties yet another excuse not to develop for the platform

mantlepiecek said:
vlad321 said:

Since the HD consoels have bad graphics, then their owners should REALLY stfu and stop pretending they like graphics by bashing the Wii. Which is what I pointed out. It's as if a guy with a girlfried who is a 6 made fun of another who had a 4, when there are women that people fuck who are 10s. It's pathetic is what it is.

You almost had me there, then I noticed you had DA:O on PS3. If you are a PC gamer, you are the most lulworthy one I have seen.

I would have probably bought DA Origins on the PC if DA 2 was actually any good. Sure DA is better on the PC, I just wanted an RPG for the PS3 and went on to buy it.

And if you observe there's a specific game I bought on 2 systems and liked it on the PC more. I will leave it to you to find it.

You are asking HD console owners to stfu in a thread that asks people their opinion?

That is obviously not possible. Also you are forgetting that unlike your example, there really is no console that has better graphics than the HD consoles. So a lot of people will rate them as 10. The PC is a dynamic platform; it hardly has a standard for graphics.

Graphical fidelity is now an opinion? Damn... that's news to me!

I also like how you are already starting to make excuses to try to find a way for people playing with half-assed graphics to make fun of people who play with even slightly worse graphics. The fact is that the graphics that a PC outputs is significantly better than either HD console, and if someone actually gave a fuck about it they would get a PC. It seems they just give a fuck about them when trying to put down the Wii or the other HD console. Your comparison is also pretty valid, to continue with my analogy. If someone grew up in some backwater inbred hick village, they may think that the hottest girl, that's a 6, is actually a 10, but in reality they are just ignorant and a 6 is a 6 as far as the rest of the world is concerned and look equally as idiotic when they state to the whole world "this girl is a 10!"

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
mantlepiecek said:
vlad321 said:

Graphical fidelity is now an opinion? Damn... that's news to me!

I also like how you are already starting to make excuses to try to find a way for people playing with half-assed graphics to make fun of people who play with even slightly worse graphics. The fact is that the graphics that a PC outputs is significantly better than either HD console, and if someone actually gave a fuck about it they would get a PC. It seems they just give a fuck about them when trying to put down the Wii or the other HD console. Your comparison is also pretty valid, to continue with my analogy. If someone grew up in some backwater inbred hick village, they may think that the hottest girl, that's a 6, is actually a 10, but in reality they are just ignorant and a 6 is a 6 as far as the rest of the world is concerned and look equally as idiotic when they state to the whole world "this girl is a 10!"

Graphical fidelity is not really an opinion. If the HD console has bad graphics, then the wii definitely has very bad graphics.

Its like a critic, he will criticize both the HD consoles and the SD console for bad graphics, but ultimately he will punish the SD console more for having worse graphics.

Lets take your village example then. If the question was "who was the hottest girl in the village" the answer would obviously be 6. You can't bring the rest of the world into consideration. The only person who is being ignorant is you who is failing to look at the thread title.

You are saying that you can't criticize either of the consoles for bad graphics because they are both not as good as a PC. If that's the case then there would be no criticism for any platform about anything, because there is always something that's worse and there is always something that's better.

@Bolded proves you don't know what a PC is. Or you don't know what a fact is. Fact is that all PCs are not the same. There is no standard for PCs.

9/10

+ many great and exclusive games
+ new revolutionary gaming experience
+ great controls that outmatch previous gamepad controls in many genres (shooter, adventure)
+ brilliant idea of divide the controller in two parts (wiimote and nunchuk) that make the gaming experience more relaxed (you don't have clench the gamepad with two hands anymore)
+ for many games you can choose with controller you prefer (gamepad for conservative gamers)
+ no only cost
+ backwards compatibility
+ virtual console with many classic games

- many poor games
- dated graphics
- some developers needed a lot of time before they managed to use motions controls correctly or have the boldness to discard it when not needed
- poor online
- almost no big new game releases in Januar - August 2011 worldwide
- bad release scheme in USA (Xenoblade)

I think nintendo had a problem with the marketing for "core" gamers. There are at least as many topgames on the wii as for ps3 or xbox360, but even some experienced gamer don't know this fact. But nintendo is a relative small company in comparison to really big companies like microsoft and sony (for example microsoft has options in almost every media company in the USA and you notice this is the overall tone of news coverage and reviews).

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

Graphical fidelity is not really an opinion. If the HD console has bad graphics, then the wii definitely has very bad graphics.

Its like a critic, he will criticize both the HD consoles and the SD console for bad graphics, but ultimately he will punish the SD console more for having worse graphics.

Lets take your village example then. If the question was "who was the hottest girl in the village" the answer would obviously be 6. You can't bring the rest of the world into consideration. The only person who is being ignorant is you who is failing to look at the thread title.

You are saying that you can't criticize either of the consoles for bad graphics because they are both not as good as a PC. If that's the case then there would be no criticism for any platform about anything, because there is always something that's worse and there is always something that's better.

@Bolded proves you don't know what a PC is. Or you don't know what a fact is. Fact is that all PCs are not the same. There is no standard for PCs.

Which is funny because game critics are just about always called retarded...

Except that the village is in the rest of the world....  You can do it, but it'd be like looking at retarded children fight, just sad and not even funny.

Did I not explicitly say exactly how what I did is directly connected to the Wii and the PC just happens to be a tool to do it? I want you to go back up the 3 or 4 posts that it has been and go over the words I say and tell me exactly where I lose you, because you seem to be having reading problems. I will do my best to clear away any confusion with words or understanding you may have.

It's one thing to criticize something, it's another thing criticizing it versus something that's pretty bad as well. I hope you realize this.

@@bolded, this shows just how ignorant you are, I suggest you edit it out before anyone else sees what you just said and I will be nice and edit it out of my quote. The PC graphics are measured by what the best game is out at the time. Currently, certian games will fry the HD consoles at their main menus  at the settings they have going for them.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Which is funny because game critics are just about always called retarded...

Except that the village is in the rest of the world....  You can do it, but it'd be like looking at retarded children fight, just sad and not even funny.

Did I not explicitly say exactly how what I did is directly connected to the Wii and the PC just happens to be a tool to do it? I want you to go back up the 3 or 4 posts that it has been and go over the words I say and tell me exactly where I lose you, because you seem to be having reading problems. I will do my best to clear away any confusion with words or understanding you may have.

It's one thing to criticize something, it's another thing criticizing it versus something that's pretty bad as well. I hope you realize this.

@@bolded, this shows just how ignorant you are, I suggest you edit it out before anyone else sees what you just said and I will be nice and edit it out of my quote. The PC graphics are measured by what the best game is out at the time. Currently, certian games will fry the HD consoles at their main menus  at the settings they have going for them.

@bolded I was talking about people who are the critics in this thread. Not the professional ones.

The PC graphics are measured by what's the best at the given time? What a retarded method of comparing graphics, since not all the PC owners can even run them.

Here a lot of people are not even comparing the wii's games to best HD games. They are comparing it to the worst ones and yet they come short.

That's the point you have been missing. But it should have been expected.

And if the question is about the village, only the ignorant brings the rest of the world into it. You are the one misunderstanding the question, I am not wasting my time on something I understand perfectly.

oni-link said:
evolution_1ne said:
I think calling the wii "current gen" is an insult to the current gen, Nintendo's "current gen" console will be releasing next year

with that said I'll rate it with the gen it belongs in "last gen" and I'll give it a 6/10 not enough core titles to warrant anything higher

nice troll comment (IMHO) but that's to be expected.  It'll be funny when Sony and MS releases their systems and it won't be as "NEXT GEN" as some people might think them to be.  Wii U in every way seems to be very next gen compared to the current systems.  One can just look at BF3 to see that PS3  and 360 has already peaked!!! Though I agree that technical aspect of Wii is very sub par in comparison to 360 and PS3; however their gameplay offering was very "current gen" seeing that both HD consoles emulated the motion control aspect of the Wii.   My 2 cents.

is that what your banking on??? if so good luck

and to the second part, no matter how much you lie to yourself you and I both know that aint true, hence the insult part, Sony and Microsoft downgrading thier experiences doesn't upgrade the wii to this gen now come on be reasonable.

man i dont know why some of you are engaging Vlad, people like that spend hundreds of dollars every year or two, to play games console owners can already play just to say they have the better looking graphics. Whats even funnier is that sometimes they have to wait a whole damn year to play a game anyway. (Street Fighter4, Batman, AC, etc.) and there are a few genres that are not on PC or wholly underrepresented. fighting games, JRPGs, 3d platformers, those funky music games that were allthe rage, motion heavy games, sports games. Hell just about any japanese made game will not see PC release. Those people are bitter because they feel they are being neglected, so they lash out, dont take it too seriously

Doobie_wop said:
3/10

Negatives
- 480p
- Graphically weak
- An abomination of an online service

This I agree with. All the 4 player competitve or 2 player co-op games available almost make up for it though

- Horrible controller, it actually ruined one of their first party games (Brawl)

I always played Brawl with my gamecube pads so it played perfectly to me.

- Weak third party line-up
- No media capabilities

I homebrewed my wii so i watch videos, play music, etc on it

- Lack of great new first party IPs and even when a good game is developed it so badly distributed that it's nearly impossible to find.
- Large gaps between any good releases

I can never afford more than a few at a time so this didn't bother me much

- Needs a much larger hard drive
- Re-iterating on old IPs without introducing new ones

All first party new ips were casual. "Wii Series". I don't remember playing No More Heroes or Xenoblade on my Gamecube. I'm an anime fan so I actually really like those 2 games.

- Massive focus on one type of market for the majority of it's life-cycle

This. Very annoying really.

- Motion controls are implemented into nearly every game for no reason and it's never superior to an actual controller.

Positives
- Fully backwards compatible with Gamecube games.
- Home to some interesting niche games (most of them are pretty bad, but their uniqueness makes them interesting).
- It's sturdy.

WOW! I won't fight against your opinion, but I'm surprised that a Wii owner(assumed u own one since u mentioned Smash bros) has such a harsh view about it.

Personally, I'd give the Wii a 7.5/10. Definitely desreved to lead the market but too much missed potential. I doubt it would have sold as much if it was HD so I guess the graphics had to be sacrificed to make the revolution accessible to casuals, I just wish it didn't have so many hardcore game droughts(I could easilly cope with those but most other people, richer people, couldn't) and better third party support on the hardcore side.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs