By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo go on the offensive against Apple?

What can Nintendo do to drive Apple's sales down?

Nothing... Nintendo and Apple is like comparing apples to, well, Nintendo lol. Nothing short of Nintendo coming out with their own super-sleek handheld multifunctional multimedia device that does everything from check email to watch movies, listen to music and play games.

If Nintendo want's to stave off the threat from Apple to their dominance in the handheld market, they can start by designing their handhelds to not be geared specifically towards the under-12 crowd, and to open up software development to just about anyone and not charge $30-$40 for games that have similar counterparts on Apple products for a mere fraction of the price.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

I remember reading about flash being the next gen console. We know iPhone apps are $1 flash games... so this prediction has been moved there :P

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Just ride out the next 5 - 10 years. Apple will fall, they only have so much innovation in them, and unlike MS, their Mac business isn't anywhere near as huge so they don't have that to sustain them.

We've already seen the iphone take a beating from Android, and there are only so many iterations of iphone and ipad they can make.

Joelcool7 said:

Umm you see the flaw in your logic is that PC is a indirect competitor with consoles. In the 90's PC was such a huge threat that both Sega and Nintendo supported it from time to time to boost sales. Fact is until piracy became so rampant in the late 90's the PC was actually a competitor. A huge reason consoles survived was they were drastically cheaper then a good computer and they also used a control pad opposed to a keyboard+mouse.

As far as I know, PC's were never a huge threat to game consoles, neither in the 80's, 90's and even 00's. Also, don't know how Nintendo and Sega supported it in the 90's but fair enough, if you've got proof I'll gladly change my mind. But yeah, the fact that consoles were less expensive than PC's did help, but even so people didn't buy computers mainly  to play games, at least not a lot did.

Today computers are a platform we can't be to sure about. Because of rampant piracy its impossible to tell how much software market share is being lost to computers. The PC was definitly a competitor and even today does effect consoles in a big way either directly through sales or competition. The reason computers aren't as big is because software developers cut back support due to piracy, look at VGChartz for a perfect example. However if Piracy hadn't lost publishers billions over the years they would have supported PC as much as consoles and computers would have definatly driven console hardware sales down.

I'm not going to go too deep into this, because I'd be opening a whole different can of worms if I did, but to make it short, Pc's only affect PC like consoles in any meaningful way, like the 360 and PS3. As for the whole piracy thing, I think it's a tad more complicated, but that's for another discussion.

Another major difference, consoles hook up to your TV they are usually used in living rooms while computers are in the office. There is plenty of room to have both. But a major factor Iwata said he is afraid of himself is the ability to carry multiple devices. A guy can't carry a 3DS, Smart Phone and Vita along with him everywhere. He's going to choose one device, girls with purses might be able to pack two but why would they want another device that does essentially the same thing as there smart phone. Who's going to carry around multiple portable devices, look at MP3 players as a perfect example, ever since Smart Phones have become popular MP3 players are slowly dissapearing people don't care to carry an MP3 player and a smart phone its unpractical.

The whole point is that smartphones don't essentially do the same thing as handhelds. Apart from the games, the fact that most smartphones don't have any buttons would make most games found on handhelds unplayable, like SMB. The whole challenge for Nintendo is to then make games so compelling that you'll carry your phone and your console together.

Also, music is a bad example since music exists independently from it's hardware, while games work with the hardware. You just have to look at the whole better controls for a FPS debate, the mouse makes it so much more accurate, so it's better to play it with a mouse for example.

Also you mention Apple has only tried to get into the games industry twice. lol you are horribly misinformed you are forgetting their game console the Pippin. Apple also tried to attract game developers in the 90's but gave up, however Jobs has said multiple times that gaming is still at the back of Apples mind.

You're right, I take that back. I wasn't aware that they had produced such a commercial failure, since it never made it to Europe. Though I didn't mention it, I meant the apple after Steve Jobs came back in 1997, the much more well known one. Also, you're mistaken: Jobs didn't give up pushing video games on apple products, just look how much effort was put to sell an app easy, so that more developpers would work on it, and I know that in 2000, when Microsoft announced that they had bought out Bungie, an apple computer dev, Jobs personally called up Balmer I believe, absolutely pissed at what they had done. Fact is, if an ex-Atari employee couldn't succeed, what makes you think someone who didn't work in the videogame industry will succeed?

So why is iOS devices competition to handhelds where home consoles aren't.

- Price (Computers were way more expensive then game consoles) Infact I can get an I-Phone 3 for free with a three year contract. An I-Phone four for only 150$ still cheaper then a 3DS.

And why don't you count the cost of the contract? Assuming it's only 10$ a month ( does it get any cheaper? ), that's still 360$ at the end of it, way costlier than any handheld.

-Software (Computer lost all of its developer support) however iOS and Android devices have larger libraries of games then anything Nintendo has ever put on the market.

So? Doesn't matter if most of it isn't any good. And I'm not saying this just like that: If we take Angry birds, the most successful game on smartphones, only a fraction of those 350?million dowloads were paid versions, and when you look at t's history, it only started becoming a success after they dropped the price from 2 to 1$. So for smartphone users, that game isn't even worth 2$.

-Piracy , unlike computers piracy on the iOS is virtually non-existant. Meaning software will sell and developers will make money on it.

True, that is very good.

-Portability, you don't have room to carry multiple portable devices Nintendo is in competition for your pocket. Would you rather carry your 3DS or your phone?

Well personally, I'd carry my DS and my phone with me, but as I've stated before, it's Nintendo's job ( a fair bit at least ) to make such good games that I'll carry my phone and my handheld.

If smart phones were not a direct threat to Nintendo do you really think Iwata would be shaking in his pants? Do you think Sony would be saying they hope 3DS doesn't bomb? Do you think industry exec's would predict Apple to take over the industry within 10 years?

Iwata isn't shaking in his pants because of apple, that was either a misquote or made up on purpose. Sony is sayng that because they are also pushing 3D, except for TV's, so it's in their best interset that people don't reject 3D, aka the 3DS. Also those industry execs have been spouting a load of nonsense for a long time, I won't go through all of it, but they are the ones who also said the Wii would fail miserably.

Or are all these high paid executives with tons of education and experiance really dumb. I mean if Apple isn't a competitor then every president of almost every console manufacturer and president has it completely wrong. I mean Capcom, EAGames, Activision, Sega, Square-Enix..etc...etc.. all those publishers that are beginning to develop for iOS devices because they feel they are direct competition.

No no, either ignorant, since they come from other industries and assume that the can use the rules from other industries in the game industry, or they want to force the market in a certain direction, so them sounding dumb is on purpose. And as far as I know, 3rd parties can develop for whatever platform they want, so I don't see the problem.

Yah they must all be nut jobs!

Rainbird said:
Phoeniks.Wright said:
Rainbird said:
Phoeniks.Wright said:

Smartphones are handheld computers. handheld game consoles are portable videogame consoles. Now, PC's don't compete directly with game consoles.

I don't hope you think that the two markets are equivalent and can be compared directly, because that's as bad an assumption as saying the two do compete directly.

Games like Brain Training were huge successes on the DS, but smartphones and tablets might actually be more well suited for such games than the 3DS. Direct competition or not, there is ample opportunity for smartphones to steal marketshare from dedicated handhelds.

@underlined: Actually, I pretty much can. It's easy, why do you buy a PC? Most people do it for stuff like internet access and whatnot. Why do you buy a smartphone? To make calls but also for the PC-like functionalities, which regular phones don't have. In both cases, gaming is a secondary function. Now, why do you buy a games console? Most people will buy it for games. Here gaming is the primary function. The only difference then between the two is wether they're portable or not, but that's it. So maybe there is a tiny amount of competition between the two, but it's so small it's insignificant, they exist in largely seperate markets.

@bolded: Using brain training as an example, true it isn't suited for the 3DS, but neither is it for smartphones and tablets. Do you really see older people buying smartphones or tablets? It is much easier to just go into a store, buy a DS with the game, and go back home and fire it up, unlike buying an expensive phone, browsing through the thousands of apps, and downloading it.

And really, if we're going to lump smartphones and handhelds in the same market share pie charts, why don't we add regular phones as well? Those could play games, and I'm pretty sure you'd see declining marketshare for handhelds since quite some time, clearly showing how the DS was doing terribly ever since it came out. /sarcasm

You're making a very big assumption in saying smartphones are the PCs of the portable space, and I don't believe your reasoning is sound enough. I agree with your points, but you are taking a very narrow look at it. 

1) Why are consoles popular? Because they're easy to use, and they provide lots of great games to play on your TV.

2) Why are smartphones popular? Because they're easy to use and provide lots of great apps, including games.

3) What makes a smartphone different from a PC? You have lots of things you may need to take care of, they're big and heavy to carry around (in most cases) and a good gaming PC can be quite expensive.

I know this is a very simple outlook as well, but gaming on your phone is much more real now that there are actually games to play on them. Angry Birds is a huge success, and publishers are putting more and more of their IPs on smartphones. There might be similarities to the PC, but there a lot of differences too.

And I have to say, I see more old people buying tablets then I do buying handheld gaming consoles. Tablets and smartphones are succesful with that audience for the same reason the Wii and Kinect is, it's a natural user interface, and it doesn't look intimidating to someone with very little technological experience.

Yeah, but games are a secondary function for smartphones, and a primary function for handhelds. Although this might not be enough people, I don't know anybody who bought a smartphone to play games on it, yet every one I know bought a games console to play a game on it. This behaviour shows that smartphones and handhelds don't compete directly, and so have very little effect on each other's sales.

As for smartphones getting more and more games, all the better! This won't affect handhelds in any meaningful way, but the more people play and enjoy games, the better.

Yeah, although I wouldn't buy apple products, I recognise that they have an excellent interface, but I must disagree with the interface being the sole reason for the Wii's success, it was maily the games, but yeah, making the Wii controller look like a remote and a NES pad was a brilliant move.

Around the Network
Phoeniks.Wright said:
Rainbird said:

You're making a very big assumption in saying smartphones are the PCs of the portable space, and I don't believe your reasoning is sound enough. I agree with your points, but you are taking a very narrow look at it. 

1) Why are consoles popular? Because they're easy to use, and they provide lots of great games to play on your TV.

2) Why are smartphones popular? Because they're easy to use and provide lots of great apps, including games.

3) What makes a smartphone different from a PC? You have lots of things you may need to take care of, they're big and heavy to carry around (in most cases) and a good gaming PC can be quite expensive.

I know this is a very simple outlook as well, but gaming on your phone is much more real now that there are actually games to play on them. Angry Birds is a huge success, and publishers are putting more and more of their IPs on smartphones. There might be similarities to the PC, but there a lot of differences too.

And I have to say, I see more old people buying tablets then I do buying handheld gaming consoles. Tablets and smartphones are succesful with that audience for the same reason the Wii and Kinect is, it's a natural user interface, and it doesn't look intimidating to someone with very little technological experience.

Yeah, but games are a secondary function for smartphones, and a primary function for handhelds. Although this might not be enough people, I don't know anybody who bought a smartphone to play games on it, yet every one I know bought a games console to play a game on it. This behaviour shows that smartphones and handhelds don't compete directly, and so have very little effect on each other's sales.

As for smartphones getting more and more games, all the better! This won't affect handhelds in any meaningful way, but the more people play and enjoy games, the better.

Yeah, although I wouldn't buy apple products, I recognise that they have an excellent interface, but I must disagree with the interface being the sole reason for the Wii's success, it was maily the games, but yeah, making the Wii controller look like a remote and a NES pad was a brilliant move.

Again you have the right sentiment, but you're not backing it up with any substantial evidence. Using people we know as a source of evidence isn't good enough. A useful fact would be one like "iOS and Android accounted for a third of the total revenue in handheld gaming in the U.S. in 2010", which means that the market for video games on smartphones is quite significant. I'm sure the continued stream of games on smartphones means some potential dedicated handheld buyers will already be satisfied by their smartphones, though I don't have any concrete data to back it up with.

And sorry if my point about the Wii came across as the interface being its sole reason for being succesful, there was a bunch of factors involved of course. Giving people a more natural way to interact with their games is a very big reason for its success though.

I think that as Reggie said more than once, Nintendo is in competition with everything that takes consumer`s time: TV, movies, music, consoles, books, etc.

Personally i don`t see smartphones or tablets eating Wii or DS/3DS' market. What i see is Wii lacking software both for harcore, but more surprisingly, for the casual. DS sales also declined because of this and because of 3DS entering the market. 3DS still has to make a move on the casual front before we can say the market has fled. Nintendo still hasn`t made a move (excluding Nintendogs+Cats) and i already see everywhere that it`s losing that market. What game of any relevance has 3DS to offer to that market so far? Let`s wait and see.

Honestly, i do understand Nintendo trying to bring first the core before the market being flooded with casual titles and making it unnatractive - at least that`s my view -, but couldn`t those two markets co-exist if they had games for both since the very beggining?
That`s what i hope to see with Wii U from the start: Wii U and it`s controller have an enormous potential to appeal to both audiences right from the get go. Something that Wii nor 3DS had.
The "tablet" controller has the interface that can satisfy all consumers. Used wisely and it could do wonders.

Overall i think that Nintendo should greatly increase it`s presentation on consoles. Make it more stylish and accessible and if possible customisable: let me choose what i want to have in front me not just in terms of items but in how the template looks.
eShop does need improvement and i hope that Wii U has something that connects itself and it`s games to social networks. For example: putting your achievements on facebook or just your activity, uploading that awesome moment in a game to youtube for everyone to see.

If anything Wii U and 3DS should be what you want it to be for you.

Piracy is present the mobile landscape too, you could even pirate the old java games. It's higher in Android but also in iOS (maybe even WP7, I dunno). The low price tag keeps people from piracy, I don't know who wants to pirate portable flash games, but a few thousands still do.

Here's the first link I found on a quick search, but I remember reading a few articles about this on TouchArcade.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/15/developer_frustrated_that_apple_grants_game_center_support_to_pirated_ios_apps.html

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

On the handheld market there is nothing Nintendo or Sony can do. Gamers will continue using handhelds and the rest will use their phone to kill some time playing with their phones that game they have been told is amazing. And as such, Android is biggest threat to apple, as it can shrink its market share.

The menace can now be the ipad against home consoles, as it's mostly used at home.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Nintendo will just do what they've always done: make games and hardware. They're literally the only console maker I've seen that can self-sustain on its own properties. Why? Because Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc are THAT ingrained into gaming culture at large.