By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Sony Vita resist the 3DS storm?

it will easily pass the 3DS storm and come out nicely

3DS has a brand image problem as its not that different from 3DS atleast in gameplay department and people don't have a reason to buy a 3DS if they already have DS

also 3DS dual stick peripheral won't go well,people don't like that extra shit

and even though 3DS has big name franchises,developers will have a problem making new types of games to WOW audiences

Around the Network

Well, let's be honest, Vita will have a pretty tough time in Japan, wether you like it or not.
In America, it just won't win, I mean, it can't.
That leaves EMEAA, I think that if planned well, it can actually be a problem over there.

I know I'm going to eventually pick of a PSV. I just don't know how successful it can be. It has amazing graphics that internet fans are going apeshit for but does the average casual gamer really care about HD quality graphics on a small screen? It has 3G support but how many people will pay AT&T for 3G and not already have a 3G phone? It has music, movies, netflix, GPS, cell-phone styled games, etc, but again, a decent smart phone has all of those features and is a lot sleeker.

There have been a lot of games announced for the PSV but the vast majority of the games listed are unknown/unproven franchises that will likely struggle to gain a following. Some of these games (if they do release at the same time) will cannibalize each others sales. And all the while, the 3DS is gaining momentum and selling without a challenger (including a free holiday season outside of Japan).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the only big selling point for the PSV will be the PSN and its ability to link players together. These days, gamers like to socialize with each other. That's Sony's ace in the hole. Even so, I still think that the PSV has a long hard road ahead of it.

snakenobi said:
it will easily pass the 3DS storm and come out nicely

3DS has a brand image problem as its not that different from 3DS atleast in gameplay department and people don't have a reason to buy a 3DS if they already have DS

also 3DS dual stick peripheral won't go well,people don't like that extra shit

and even though 3DS has big name franchises,developers will have a problem making new types of games to WOW audiences

i disagree with everything here except the dual stick peripheral. 

Vita will still do well, quite better than the PSP actually.Will it pass the 3DS WW? unlikely. But this time it will be way closer. And the software lineup of the 3DS may great now, but so is the linup of the Vita. Monster Hunter 4 wo't stay exclusive to 3DS, I expect tthe Vita to get Monster Hunter 4G and maybe even a real (not just a port or remake) Final Fantasy early and then Japan will be in Sony's hands.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

What mass market appeal does the Vita have in the west? none. It's going to have the same problem psp had. Vita in Japan is going to have trouble selling. That FFX HD port is still in development and i doubt it will move hardware like that gimmicky little deviants game. We've learned from the 3DS that games move hardware.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Honestly there is nothing on the japanese launch-list that can stand against Monster Hunter 3G. I think many westerners see Uncharted and think that will sell the system in Japan, but looking at the numbers for the first two Uncharted-games in Japan it clearly won't

What storm? The 3DS still stands as a failure compared to the DS or GBA. It still has to prove a lot, until we can say that not only Nintendo hype drove it where it is/will be. The Vita has a lot to prove, but even if it bombs, it still didnt ware as much burdon on his back as a Nintendo handheld.

As it stands now I see both of them as overall successful machines but I doubt that the 3DS will manage well above 100 million LT sales, and I also doubt that the Vita can reach more then 50 million...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Vita still has few things going for it:

- best launch lineup in years
- great graphics with oled screen
- social connectivity
- cross gaming with PS3 and trophy support
- positive first impression

This should be enough to build serious userbase in initial months and after that it will depend on software library as it seems 3DS will be getting another software drought after Christmans is over.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Christian973 said:

What mass market appeal does the Vita have in the west? none. It's going to have the same problem psp had. Vita in Japan is going to have trouble selling. That FFX HD port is still in development and i doubt it will move hardware like that gimmicky little deviants game. We've learned from the 3DS that games move hardware.

Call of Duty.

'nuff said.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.