By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Sony Vita resist the 3DS storm?

Call of duty on the vita? .. haha my 52" tv says hello!..

Around the Network
TakeMeToTheHospital said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Christian973 said:

What mass market appeal does the Vita have in the west? none. It's going to have the same problem psp had. Vita in Japan is going to have trouble selling. That FFX HD port is still in development and i doubt it will move hardware like that gimmicky little deviants game. We've learned from the 3DS that games move hardware.

Call of Duty.

'nuff said.

Call Of Duty on a 5 inch screen?!?! yeh right dude. No one is gonna enjoy that. Try quickscoping on anything less than a 32 inch. Impossible. 

..except for the millions of people who cried after a second analog stick for games like...you guessed it, Call of Duty.

Not everyone can be a hardcore gamer, and PSVita isn't the platform the 1337-gamer who has a killratio of 100/1. It is a PORTABLE console. If you want to play the real CoD, you gonna play it on a PC/PS3/360 anyway. For everything else, there's the Vita.

yeh it's a PORTABLE console. Some games just don't work on a miniature screen. That's why Call Of Duty is gonna be an absolute joke on the Vita.   

I'll wait for the game to release actually before I judge that.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

- Missed a holiday launch in NA and Europe.........thus being behind in millions more when it finally releases, meaning itll be all the harder to catch up

- Has zero flagship system sellers even remotely on the level of Mario and its endless spinoffs

- Games in general are numerous, but few actually have names that make the handheld worth buying

- Consoles are one thing, but you NEED casual appeal to sell a dedicated handheld device. 3DS has it, Vita just screams "im only for core".......lots of casuals will be put off by that.

- price gap. value or not, its there and people will notice.

When your late to the party, your more expensive, you have no system sellers..........I mean cmon.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

thismeintiel said:
Zlejedi said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Christian973 said:

What mass market appeal does the Vita have in the west? none. It's going to have the same problem psp had. Vita in Japan is going to have trouble selling. That FFX HD port is still in development and i doubt it will move hardware like that gimmicky little deviants game. We've learned from the 3DS that games move hardware.

Call of Duty.

'nuff said.

Fifa, NHL, Madden, racing games (PSV Gran Turismo is probably only a matter of time)

Plus, for the Vita, the price won't be as big an issue as it was with the 3DS, as the Vita has more value for the dollar.  Better quality screen, better graphics, and more features.  It's also launching at the exact same price as the PSP did against a $150 DS, and that has gone on to sell 71+ million units (and will probably end 80+ million).  I have no doubt that if Nintendo had left the price the same, even with a couple of Mario games, the Vita would have hands down won this handheld gen.  I think the sudden pricecut a mere 5-6 months from launch proves that Nintendo knew this, as well.

I like how people actually think this matters. Price and games. You got a good price and system sellers and your fine. 

If we went by your logic....Xbox would have beat PS2.....PS3 wouldnt still be last place, and Wii would have been discontinued years ago. 

I repeat....mass market price point and system sellers. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

spurgeonryan said:
I think the Vita will just be fine. Sony pushed the PSP to a modest success, I see no reason the Vita will not do well ...as well.

I agree, and with that said, I think I should boycott this back and forth between 3DS fans and Vita Fans. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Christian973 said:

Call of Duty.

'nuff said.

Call Of Duty on a 5 inch screen?!?! yeh right dude. No one is gonna enjoy that. Try quickscoping on anything less than a 32 inch. Impossible. 

..except for the millions of people who cried after a second analog stick for games like...you guessed it, Call of Duty.

Not everyone can be a hardcore gamer, and PSVita isn't the platform the 1337-gamer who has a killratio of 100/1. It is a PORTABLE console. If you want to play the real CoD, you gonna play it on a PC/PS3/360 anyway. For everything else, there's the Vita.

But that's the thing.  The not hardcore gamer who is going to pay $250 for a portable version of Call of Duty?  It's an identity crisis.  The hardcore are going to go for the real version and the casual are going to think it's too expensive.  I'm sure there's a middle ground but the two extremes are going to have a hard time justifying the purchase.

They won't be buying PSV cod INSTEAD of home version. I can totally see some freeks buying it in addtion to PS3 version to be able to play it also outside of home.

That's the whole point of handheld console to bring you entertainment when you are outside of home not to replace it. You can clearly see it in popularity of handhelds in Japan where majority of people travel by train every day.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I'm not remotely interested in handheld consoles, since I'm in college and I don't commute anywhere.

However, from the very little I saw of the 3DS and the little information I know about Vita, I would definitely prefer Vita.

The simple addition of a second stick seals it for me. With that you can control a lot of genres with a lot more ease (especially with shooters). Graphics aren't important for me, but the graphics I saw when I played with the 3DS just seemed dated. It's really annoying seeing so many people getting excited over re-releases of old games when they've already played it years ago and there's not much improvement/change. I really would like to be able to enjoy a new generation of games and have hardware that'll be able to support it.

The 3D effect just seems gimicky, whereas all the other features of the Vita seem more concrete (touch is meh, but I guess that's what Sony wanted to make Vita competitive to the DS and smartphone market. Battery life does seems like a huge issue, but as I'll be more of the casual player, I really don't need anything more than 3-4 hours a day while I commute on a train or bus.

Ultimately, it's down to the games, and like I said, the simple addition of 2 sticks opens up a huge number of doors for future games for the Vita IMHO.

You have it backwards. The true question is "Can 3DS resist the Vita Storm?"
3DS is already out and the system sellers are coming out this holiday. Vita is coming out this holiday in Japan and the system sellers won't come until a few months later. The 3DS will no doubt be the #1 handheld this holiday. The question is can it keep that #1 position?

Zlejedi said:
d21lewis said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Christian973 said:

Call of Duty.

'nuff said.

But that's the thing.  The not hardcore gamer who is going to pay $250 for a portable version of Call of Duty?  It's an identity crisis.  The hardcore are going to go for the real version and the casual are going to think it's too expensive.  I'm sure there's a middle ground but the two extremes are going to have a hard time justifying the purchase.

They won't be buying PSV cod INSTEAD of home version. I can totally see some freeks buying it in addtion to PS3 version to be able to play it also outside of home.

That's the whole point of handheld console to bring you entertainment when you are outside of home not to replace it. You can clearly see it in popularity of handhelds in Japan where majority of people travel by train every day.

So me and the guy I quoted both got it wrong.  He said that the PSV isn't for the 1337 hardcore gamer.  I said it wasn't for the casual gamer.  You say it's for the hardcore gamer on the go.  I can see that.

I got SSF4 for the 3DS.  It's a very good recreation of the home console experience.  I wouldn't want to play it for competition (too many people use the touch screen to "cheat") but I use it to scratch my Street Fighter itch when I'm away from home.  I guess CoD on PSV can do the same for a certain segment of the COD audience.

*edit* One thing to keep in mind about Call of Duty is that the main draw is the online.  The PSV will support online and 3G but lets be real.  There is no way 3G is going to be able to support the CoD online experience.  People are going to have to have access to Wi FI to play Call of Duty in some way that resembles the home version.  Maybe a quick session at McDonalds or Starbucks or Books a Million or something?  But even then, you'll have to contend with people dropping out at inopportune times.  It's the nature of handheld gaming.  Or, people can just play at home where they have full access to online all of the time.  But if they're playing at home on their Wi Fi then why are they playing their portable?

PSVita has PSSuite to stole some Smartphone gamers and stole some casual game for Nintendo with Sound Shape,Escape Plan and Little Deviants etc ans got gamers like PSP.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m