By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of Nightmares is a MAJOR flop - we need to talk about it

Kinect is for your grandmother and little sister. It doesn't matter how much MS wants ME to own one and use it, it's just not going to happen.

Give me a regular controller or forget it.

Around the Network

What's the Star Wars Kinect game classified as: Core or Casual? I think the Star Wars Kinect game will really give game developers a good idea of whether there's core appeal to Kinect. And what sort of core game will work on Kinect.

Lets Face it, with the launch titles Kinect was completely aimed at the family, for the kids. Core games on the Kinect are pretty much going to have to be accessible to kids and meet with parental approval, probably for the next few years until the kids turn into teens and start getting in to more standard core fare (blood, guts, zombies etc etc).

It was simply a stupid choice to put a game like Rise of Nightmares out as an early (test case) core Kinect title. Even if it was a 7.5/10 sort of game it would still have severely underperformed. Child of Eden works better for Kinect because of it's E rating and it appeals to the core gamer. Still CoE only opened to 33K which isn't that much more than RoN's opening.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I agree this is pathetic.

People complain of lack of hard to the kore kinect titles and then they both flop (Child of Eden and now this). What's next, Gunstringer?

I'm guessing MS is going to have to heavily fund some Kinect exclusives in order for them to keep popping out.

It's just that simple.

I need someone to state what the core/casual difference is here before I comment.

I will say the sales aren't a surprise. Based on sales of titles on Kinect so far the breadth of genres it can support well seems pretty narrow so far.

You could blame the games, but to be honest, a a tri-console owner I think that fact needs to be faced that Kinect on it's own only really supports certain experiences well vs say the Wii or Move. The lack of Haptic feedback and focus on body motion vs simulated inputs (press a button to fire something for example) seriously reduces it's capabilities.

We'll see how Gunstringer fares, but I'm expecting just above Eden like sales for that. Given the first reviews make clear it's short and it sounds like a down-loadable title pushed to retail (like Eden) I don't expect it to sell bucketloads in the current climate.

The holiday season will be the real test though for Rise and stuff like Gunstringer. If they see a pickup then MS will at least know that titles like that must release around buying spikes, if not then I think the jury will be more or less in on such titles on Kinect in the near future.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

binary solo said:
What's the Star Wars Kinect game classified as: Core or Casual? I think the Star Wars Kinect game will really give game developers a good idea of whether there's core appeal to Kinect. And what sort of core game will work on Kinect.

Lets Face it, with the launch titles Kinect was completely aimed at the family, for the kids. Core games on the Kinect are pretty much going to have to be accessible to kids and meet with parental approval, probably for the next few years until the kids turn into teens and start getting in to more standard core fare (blood, guts, zombies etc etc).

It was simply a stupid choice to put a game like Rise of Nightmares out as an early (test case) core Kinect title. Even if it was a 7.5/10 sort of game it would still have severely underperformed. Child of Eden works better for Kinect because of it's E rating and it appeals to the core gamer. Still CoE only opened to 33K which isn't that much more than RoN's opening.

I would consider Star Wars kinect casual.

How long do you expect gamers to wait to release any core kinect games? There are gamers like myself that have been waiting for a Kinect game that didn't just involve dancing/sports/exercise for a while now. RON was a great change of pace and fun, even if the game needed some more work. After playing RON, Kinect has kinda renewed itself, like when I first bought it. Looking forward to playing the Gunstringer. Hell I still need to play CoE.      

You also have to remember CoE can be played with a regular controller, it's not just limited to Kinect/Move owners. It was poor marketing by the Child of Eden team on why it sold poorly not the"kinect owners don't buy core games" excuse. It's also a pretty niche title. 

Around the Network

MadWorld did it much better than 90% of similar niche HD games, well I would even say 99,9% better.

I could provide a plethora of examples but since Wii is unfortunately a dead system I just don't care anymore.

binary solo said:

SW is completly casual.

And anyway is anyone actually suprised by this ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

i saw alot of tv adverts for this game and kept asking myself, who would buy this? i got my answer. bad games deserve bad sales.

I don't understand why they continue to sell Kinect games at 50$. They are obviously not worth it. I would jump on Rise of Nightmares if it sold for less than 40 bucks at launch. As it stands, I will wait for the price drop and go for it. At least, there seems to be more "value" to this title than Child of Eden.

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

pots555 said:
I don't understand why they continue to sell Kinect games at 50$. They are obviously not worth it. I would jump on Rise of Nightmares if it sold for less than 40 bucks at launch. As it stands, I will wait for the price drop and go for it. At least, there seems to be more "value" to this title than Child of Eden.

Yeah they really should sell them at $40. 

$50 is too high of a price for many of them.