By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - GameJournos.com: Breach of ethics by VGC? Updated: Details of RubangB's Departure

Money, money, money.

Around the Network
ioi said:
mantlepiecek said:

Thanks for clearing up. ioi's post was also very well detailed.

From what I have read, I have to say that vgchartz is in the right. They only planned to postpone any negative news for the titles, and there is no evidence that they actually did. So all the "journalistic integrity loss" and all that is invalid.

Exactly, nothing got postponed in the end anyway and it was referring to inflammatory editorials rather than genuine news.

To further explain this (and it isn't meant as a further dig at Joe) - Joe's writing style is very inflammatory. He often writes pieces purely to pick a fight and we often had to tone down or over-rule some of his pieces. If something major happens I'm fully behind covering it and saying it as it is, but I don't believe in going around and pickign fights with publishers just for the sake of it. At the end of the day, these guys make the games. They invite us to events so we can cover their titles, they send us advanced copies for review and they pay for ads so we can cover the enormous hosting / development / staffing fees on this site. I will never condone giving a false score for a review or writing something that is unethical but at the same time I'm not about to pick fights with the guys we depend on to operate this site without good reason to.

Joe had a different idea about gaming journalism to myself and Chris which lead to the difference of opinon which ultimately reduced his output for the site and ended in his firing / demotion from his senior role which later lead to him leaving. VGChartz has always operated in an ethical manner and I will never compromise the integrity of our news, articles, editorials or especially reviews for advertisers, but at the same time we need to build relations and do what we can to keep everyone happy. We want to attract major advertisers so we can improve the services we offer on the site, pay for more staff and so on - I'm not about the ruin a potential relationship with an advertiser by posting an inflammatory editorial on their game the same day as we are running their ad campaign - that would be plain stupid. It can be posted the day after and as long as it is fair then I will argue our case with the advertiser and if at that point they aren't happy then their loss.

The more I hear about this, the more reasonable you sound.  If it was only negative editorials being delayed, and only until the short promotional period ended, and negative straight news and reviews could still go up, then I don't see anything wrong with that.  I don't know if Mr. Jackmovich didn't understand "only editorials" or what. 

On the other hand, I'm not impressed that your initial response to this was character assassination.  There is really no other reason to for that video to be in the post you wrote.  And it seems odd to complain about someone airing VGChartz's dirty laundry while doing the same thing yourself in retaliation. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I know the truth.

I will not reveal it because you cannot handle the truth.

Oooh oooh this is my favorite part!

"The GamrFeed site has a sidebar that they use to promote various features. Two of those features, “Caption This” and “Top Ten”, haven’t been updated since June and August respectively."

What's that, you can't bad mouth "gamrConnect Most Wanted"? Oh yeah, I rock. And I'm humble. Really humble.

The accusations quite clash with many writers of this site being instead often accused of being trollish and biased against games, platforms and console producers, and almost the whole site staff actually being very critical towards some big publishers' policies and attitudes.

This said, for game reviews nothing can beat what PC Zone was when Charlie Brooker wrote on it, but I learned to live with it and I never consider just one opinion to make up my mind. Also, whatever the score, harsh, just or lax, reading the review, if detailed enough, I can quite understand whether a game can be good for my tastes or not.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
ioi said:
fastyxx said:

But if it's launch week for a game or its DLC, that's the week that your readers need to know the full scoop on content, as it's the week that most of us, as hardcore gamers, would buy that game/content.  I've seen plenty of sites that have ads for a game right next to a link to a scathing review or article with criticisms.  (Naughty Bear comes to mind as one off the top of my head.)  This to me is no different than taking money for a review score or making deals for flattering preview coverage.  

I guess it depends on what you define the mission of your site as.  If it's just entertainment, then so be it.  But if it's supposed to be a useful service in terms of honest information and opinion, this damages your credibility greatly.  The work you've done over the years to legitimize your numbers, for example, is something much more easily taken away than earned.  Credibility takes alifetime to build and only seconds to lose.  

Just ask Gamespot and Jeff Gerstmann.

No it doesn't - as I've explained this was in reference to original pieces not gerneal news, review, previews. It is sensible to delay an article called "Why Killzone 3 is not as good as 2" to avoid it clashing with an ad campaign we are running for Killzone 3. For an editorial it doesn't matter when we post it - we have free choice - so I will pick the time that works best be that in terms of hits, avoiding ads, avoiding other articles and so on. There is nothing malicious or underhand about this.

Malicious and underhanded are not synonyms for unethical.  You admit that you were willing to alter content for at least that time period by withholding it for a few days, whether you did or not.  I believe you when you say you mean no harm and that it hurt no one. 

However, it goes against basic journalistic principles ethically.  Here's a link to the New York Times Co. ethics manual.  There's nothing really special about theirs versus other media organizations.  I just teach journalism and happen to have the link bookmarked.  See section A7 items 80-85.  It strikes me as your site violating many of these.  

I understand that you're not the NYTimes  --a gaming blog is not hard news needing to be held to the strictest standards.  However, I wouldn't be so dismissive about the effect that decisions like these have on your audience.  None of us care about the infighting of employers and employees and he said/she said drama.  But we do want to know that the information we get from a site that at its core is about distributing factual, researched information in the numbers, for example, can be trusted. Your core function doesn't work if people misturst the organization as a whole in any way.  You can talk about how the reviews and news and editorial sections are separated, but your average user sees one site with VGCHartz at the top.  As one section goes, so goes them all in the court of public opinion, and you don't want a "small" decision in one area calling the whole conglomeration into question.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

do people still follow this story??

http://gamejournos.com/post/10296741501/vgchartz-week-day-five-an-open-letter-to-brett
http://gamejournos.com/post/10294397584/vgchartz-week-day-four-day-late-dollar-short

so that's what happend to on of our greatest members Evan aka RubangB, Ghost of RubangB.. :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I thought it was weird that he disappeared...

So that's what happened to good ol' Rubang. Pity. =(

Well it's the internet... I don't believe it's journalism. Instead the internet breads a sort it's adtertainment...

I mean there's a ton of sites that constantly change headlines of stories until they figure out a headline the produces clicks...

Is there anything anywhere that says websites need to be ethical at all?