By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When studio will start selecting PS3 as main platform in multiplatform game

So far i think apart from couple of examples, all the multiplatform games are developed primarily for the XBOX 360 and then ported over to PS3... and this shows some serious quality issues in PS3 version of the game...

So do you think after some time studios and developer will start selecting PS3 as their main development platform and then will do the port to the XBOX and other consoles.. or u believe it will remain like this in this generation..

i think if PS3 reaches 15M before XBOX crossing 20M then developer will start pursuing for the PS3 over XBOX as their main development platform, cuz it will show them that PS3 has got more momentum and they will be confident that the PS3 has got some reasonable user base too... So they won't mind see much risk for this.

What are your thoughts... I think its a serious issue and Sony can't do much in it except trying to speed up the PS3 user base to show it as a safe and risk free platform for game development..

Around the Network

It's already happening. Just look at MGS4 ;)

^That was a joke (I can't believe I feel compelled to spell that out)

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

I believe Midway have said that it is better to make it for the PS3 and then port it to 360, as that means they are released simultaneously. At the moment, multiplat games are based on the 360 because devs are more familiar, as they get more and more used to the PS3, they will be able to do more and more on it, thus reducing delays and increasing quality. Of course, quite a few games which were originally PS3 exclusives (AC, Mercs 2, Resi 5 (I think) and Star Ocean IV as well as many others probably) will have their engines made for the PS3 before they became multiplatform, making it easier for a good simultaneous release

PS3 will have to be actually passing the 360 in terms of hardware AND software for it to gain the dominant development status.

More than likely from here on out all 3rd party games, save a few really high end stuff, will be primarily developed on the Wii since it is the lowest common factor and the highest user base.

I expect all games by 2009 to be built 1st on Wii and then ported to 360. Then IF PS3 really does a pick up in sales this year it will have the same ports as 360 or more.

Just like last gen, the weakest system (PS2) had all the primary developing due to its sales base. 360, barely ahead of GC in sales, had all the ports. GC, lowest sales, did not get all of the ports. Many, but not all.

Same will happen here. Wii will get the primary focus due to its user base. If you need proof, look no further than 2K's next boxing title, Prizefighter.

@superchunk

Most development companies just use a separate team for the Wii. There's no way porting a Wii version to an HD console will ever fly.

EDIT: I should elaborate.  There isn't a magic "Make this game HD" filter.  If they mae the Wii version first, they would pretty much be making the entire game over again in order to port to the 360 or PS3.

LINK

Around the Network

It has started. Burnout and UT3 is an example. Virtua Fighter 5 is another. Bladestorm comes to mind as does DMC. Im not sure about all of those, so plz correct me if I'm wrong.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

^ Well DMC was going to be exclusive and then they changed their mind. I'm sure that's true for a handful of PS3 to 360 ports.

LINK

PC was the main platform for PS3, but yes, it is beginning.

@rol/super chunk

According to N' gai from bonus round he stated that developing on ps3 as the main console to 360 is much easier than the other way around. Its just that developers do not want to waste the money. I say Assassins creed 2, and some more games in 2009 and later on will be ps3 to 360 games.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

@ Outlawrun

All of yours are correct. More and more devs are having less problems with "teh C3ll" and now are using it as lead platform on such high profiles as Burnout and DMC4.