By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When studio will start selecting PS3 as main platform in multiplatform game

DMeisterJ said:
Now let's do the list of third party games outsold on the 360 over the Wii

Tiger Woods 07 and 08
Guitar Hero 3
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008
Madden NFL 07 Madden NFL 08

The list goes on, but I really don't feel like looking through hundreds of games.

All games, except GHIII, where the Wii version was a PS2 port with less features than the 360's.

GH3 will end up being Wii > 360.

When they are made on the Wii and then ported to 360/PS3, like Rayman Raving Rabbids, we will see. Or at the very least not built on PS2 based code. 

Around the Network

So did madden NFL 07 and 08

superchunk said:
DMeisterJ said:
Now let's do the list of third party games outsold on the 360 over the Wii

Tiger Woods 07 and 08
Guitar Hero 3
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008
Madden NFL 07 Madden NFL 08

The list goes on, but I really don't feel like looking through hundreds of games.

All games, except GHIII, where the Wii version was a PS2 port with less features than the 360's.

GH3 will end up being Wii > 360.

When they are made on the Wii and then ported to 360/PS3, like Rayman Raving Rabbids, we will see. Or at the very least not built on PS2 based code. 

So now you're a psychic?

Like I said above, madden 08 and 07 sold better on PS3 than wii.

And we all know what the PS3 version was like.  What's your excuse of that?

cringer8 said:

The Wii isn't even supposed to be in this thread.

EDIT: Hoorah!  Over 200 posts!  I am now a "Member" instead of "Regular!"  Where's my jacket?

i wander if the administrator should merge all the threads into 1... :)

GHIII for 360 in america has sold more than the Wii version worldwide. IDK how it's going to outsell that. Also, the PS2 version handidly beat them all.

Around the Network

ok, this is a pointless argument. Let's take the wait and see approach shall we? Just like you probably argued until you were blue that the Wii wouldn't beat the 360 in sales or be anywhere near 20m by years end, you will be stupified by end of 2008.

By then newly funded games will be Wii centric and the Wii versions of most games will be consistently outselling others.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Superchunk

Does madden look the same on the Wii than it does on the XBOX 360 and to a lesser extent PS3. The obvious remains that thirdy-party games sell better on the XBOX 360, PS3, and PS2 more than they do on the Wii, the Wii will never be a lead platform for Multiplat games for the HD consoles because no one buys third party on there, and like cringer said, you can't just port a wii game to the HD consoles. Devs wouldn't follow suit even though it's winning because of the lackluster third party sales on the wii, compared to other consoles.

This same silly argument keeps popping up around here. Has anyone here actually ever met a consumer that goes to a store and says, "You know, I'm not going to consider any games that come from developers other than the system's manufacturer, even if those games are the best ones and the ones that appeal most to me."

No.

The question third party developers ARE REALLY looking at on the Wii is this: "In the genre we're interested in, how many copies are the system's most popular, non-bundled games, REGARDLESS of manufacturer, selling?"

That's the only figure that has any meaning, because that tells you what the potential market is. The customers don't care the tiniest bit about who makes the game. They just care about the game.

It's absurd to think that game developers are looking at the difference between how 1st and 3rd party games sell on the Wii as a basis for deciding whether or not to develop for it.

I wish more games would start out for PS3 or have exclusive PS3 content since Blu Ray can hold so much more data. Instead of PS3 games being limited to 9gb just like on DVD so it works for multiplatform, we should start seeing some extra content or something.

@ Superchunk

Or we could stop arguing because I totally decimated your argument. Ok. I'll stop then

For the record, I've never speculated on Wii sales for the year, and never specualted as to whether it would win or not, I've always said wait until 2008, when all consoles have been on the market for at least a year so that we could clearly see market trends, and what games may or may not sell on the system.

I'd say never.

Look at it this way. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360 in most ways. (if not all.)

Which makes more sense, starting on the weaker console with a smaller disc and porting over pretty much exactly.

Or starting on the stronger console, then have to deal with ways with depowering and making everything more conmpressed.

Even if the PS3 gets a pure install base lead on 360 i'd expect most products to start on 360 then be ported over.