By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When studio will start selecting PS3 as main platform in multiplatform game

RolStoppable said:

I think we can all agree that 3rd parties focused for the most part on the HD consoles so far, that's why their games were on average better (review scores) on the 360/PS3 than on the Wii and also sold accordingly much better on the 360/PS3 than on the Wii.

Now for 3rd parties it doesn't matter that much how many units they sold for each platform, but how their bottom line looks like when all is said and done. Here's a link to celine's thread with the recent financial reports of 3rd parties:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=13273

5 of 15 are losing money and their combined losses are bigger than the combined profits of the 10 companies that made money. That's not how a healthy industry looks like. The current focus of development for the HD consoles cannot be sustained, 3rd parties will have to adjust and devote more of their money to development for the Wii and the DS.

They really don't have a choice. Even though that means that they will have to compete with Nintendo on their own systems, there's plenty of money that can be made on the Wii and the DS, provided that 3rd parties actually make good games. Major 3rd party support for Nintendo systems is inevitable.

For reference, Nintendo had a net income of more than $1 billion in the first half of its fiscal year 2008. The rest of the videogame industry combined isn't even in the black.

QFT

Around the Network

@ Rolstoppable

Thank you for giving some good reasons why Third Party development may shift to Wii/DS. That is an excellent analysis, and makes much sense. Much better than your peers trying to do the same but ultimately failing by not supporting their topic. Are you a college man Rolstoppable, cause that was a great mini-essay.

WIN for Rolstoppable.

@ DMeisterJ...and I gave you a + in the elimination game. :(

My theory was supported by what I thought was known history.

@superchunk:
do you actually think games are created first for the wii, then ported to the PS3/360?
Do you understand what porting is?
The only games where this would even be remotely possible would be simple music games, or puzzle games.

I understand the wii has the largest userbase and the best sales. 3rd parties will pay attention to it. But it seems to me you are somehow confusing the definition of what a ported game is.
In most cases, there will be separate development for the wii. And the PS3 and 360 will share the same development team, where one will be ported to another.
In this case either the 360 or PS3 will be called the "lead platform", but that term is only being used in context with the PS3 and 360.

Lead platform has nothing to do at all with sales data, or the wii- since its development is separate.

I am baffled at how you would ever assume 3rd parties would develop for the wii, then port to PS3 or 360. This will never happen.

Again.. Yes there will be wii development, but separate from the other 2 consoles!

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

@ Superchunk

I'm sorry, I saw you plus me. I just voted but in an hour I'll +1 you, because I was very harsh on you, and you are saving me from elimination.

thx.

Around the Network
ultraslick said:
@superchunk:
do you actually think games are created first for the wii, then ported to the PS3/360?
Do you understand what porting is?
The only games where this would even be remotely possible would be simple music games, or puzzle games.

I understand the wii has the largest userbase and the best sales. 3rd parties will pay attention to it. But it seems to me you are somehow confusing the definition of what a ported game is.
In most cases, there will be separate development for the wii. And the PS3 and 360 will share the same development team, where one will be ported to another.
In this case either the 360 or PS3 will be called the "lead platform", but that term is only being used in context with the PS3 and 360.

Lead platform has nothing to do at all with sales data, or the wii- since its development is separate.

I am baffled at how you would ever assume 3rd parties would develop for the wii, then port to PS3 or 360. This will never happen.

Again.. Yes there will be wii development, but separate from the other 2 consoles!

Ok, now three of you have said this to mee as if there is some kind of technical reason why it is impossible. However, none of you have provided this reason.

I already showed one game where this happend. Rayman Raving Rabbids.

After Rol's post is seems even more clearer that Wii will get the lion's share of the 3rd party support, you did not deny this yourself.

BUT WHY IS IT SO ILLOGICAL TO TAKE A GAME MADE ON A LOWER SPEC'D MACHINE AND PUT IT ON A HIGHER SPEC'D MACHINE????

I just don't understand why some of you maintain this as impossible. If anything it's much easier and lest costly than having a separate office building one version of the game for Wii and one build a version for the ps360.

ok, seriously I want a real reason, not a 'haha you're stupid how can you think that' bs line. 

@superchunk, I don't mean to attack you on this, but you say:
"BUT WHY IS IT SO ILLOGICAL TO TAKE A GAME MADE ON A LOWER SPEC'D MACHINE AND PUT IT ON A HIGHER SPEC'D MACHINE????"
that IS logical, but thats not what I am arguing.
The key word here is "made" If it is MADE on the wii only- then it is logical to put it on the PS3/360. (at a later time)

But for simultaneous development of all 3 consoles, it makes zero sense to develop it for the wii, then port it to the 360/PS3

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

probably never

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DMeisterJ said:
Smackdown 08 even sold more on the PS3 than the Wii, with half of the userbase.

I'd guess that's because Smackdown 08's wii version features less moves and doesn't get the 24/7 modes that every other version including the PS2 version had and instead got some strange modes.

The Wii version of smackdown 08 is what happens when people try an alter a game on the wii to fit the "casual base" that's perceived. 

I went PS2 over Wii because of all the changed features and idocy. 

it'll be for japanese developers, since that's the market they can sell ps3 games in. unlikely for developers based in the US.

more than ever, US and Japanese developers will be going different routes.

the Wii is an epidemic.