By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest X Requires a consistent Internet Connection, Only the 1st few hours can be played offline.

i don't mind , nor do i try my best each passing hour to find the smallest thing to bitch about.
most of people's complains recently are becoming very stupid.

Around the Network

They are alienating the franchise's fanbase... If they really wanted to do this, they could have made this a spin-off and not a mainline entry in the franchise... wth SE...

I cannot understand any of the decisions being made with this game. Timing+platform, online only, subscription fees, the works. It makes no sense. At least they're going multiplat, which should help sales somewhat, but they're still ignoring PS3.

This game's sales won't come close to touching DQIX's.  It should still be insanely profitable for them, given XI was their most successful Final Fantasy, but it would probably be more profitable if they also supported ps3.  Ignoring ps3 when they're supporting Wii U makes little sense (supposing they weren't moneyhatted, of course).

thelalaby said:
They are alienating the franchise's fanbase... If they really wanted to do this, they could have made this a spin-off and not a mainline entry in the franchise... wth SE...

I doubt it. Japan fricken bleeds Dragon Quest just as they do Monster Hunter. This game isn't really targeted at the west. Japan will pay these sub fees easily.

makingmusic476 said:

I cannot understand any of the decisions being made with this game. Timing+platform, online only, subscription fees, the works. It makes no sense. At least they're going multiplat, which should help sales somewhat, but they're still ignoring PS3.

This game's sales won't come close to touching DQIX's.  It should still be insanely profitable for them, given XI was their most successful Final Fantasy, but it would probably be more profitable if they also supported ps3.  Ignoring ps3 when they're supporting Wii U makes little sense (supposing they weren't moneyhatted, of course).

Square just recently sent out a survey regarding XI. I believe they are thinking about discontinuing the PS2 service with the game so they can actually continue developing content. As well as developing a PS3 version. FFXI is still a strong game with rich content but the last year they hit a barrier with the PS2 hard drive space.

Around the Network
Wagram said:

It is possible that there was a mistranslation. That comes out of SE a lot. I'm assuming the first few hours of the game will be offline only. Then at a certain point the game will require constant online connection IF you choose to take part in battles online.

Requiring 100% online connectivity for a game that can be completed 100% on single player would make no sense. So my money is on mistranslation.

I'm not shocked this game is being made with a sub fee in mind. Japan is going to eat this shit alive.

I agree with this. I find it very unlikely that they would do it that way, and more unlikely that they meant "the first few hours cannot be played online, but if you want to be online after that it requires a constant internet connection"

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

If this is true, that's one way to kill the popularity of the franchise in Japan in one swift stroke. Good decisions.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Well, hopefully its an mmo or the supposed single player multiplayer online game. Because if its a DRM and it kicks off then its goodbye console gaming.

Soriku said:
Xxain said:
I dont think it's dumb I actually think it would be interesting... just what happens if your internet connect dies?

You disconnect...then reconnect. Have you played an online game before lol?

Roma said:
this is stupid! they want to force us to pay to play online even though there is a single player mode that you can play offline?

Actually I don't think there's an offline in the traditional sense, ie. thee isn't an offline story that's separate from online play. It could be like other MMOs where you'll do the story online but you don't have to do it with other players. Basically you'll still see people running around doing whatever as you're doing the story.

So they are doing this so that they don’t have to bother with lots of AI people. That reminds me of the patent Nintendo has for a single player online game or whatever it was. But if it only is for this reason then i don't think we should be forsed to pay. 

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Xxain said:
blkfish92 said:
Xxain said:
blkfish92 said:
What's the reasoning though??

I just answered that in my second post

Ya, but is that what they confirmed or is that your assumption?

There a lots in life when you dont need a confirmation. This is called deductive reasoning, There a few exceptions but usually there is only 1 reason why your forced to be online. Couple this with multiple rumors from different all saying the same thing, usage fee was actually listed there powerpoint showing, and this Square Enix. The hints are all there now put them together.

Don't get me wrong, you're most likely right, but of course some confirmation would be nice. Still though you're most likely right, never said you were wrong.