By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Call Of Duty Dev Says Uncharted Franchise Isn't Quite World Class

Found this gem just there. If the Uncharted franchise is not world class what is Call of Duty? Seriously. 

From the article:

You still have that flame-proof jockstrap? Well, you might want to re-equip it because it’s about to get hot in here. In a developer insight video Sledgehammer Games, one of the three studios who worked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, stated that they were working on a third-person version of CoD and that it would be like the Uncharted series, except it would part of a world class franchise. Is that built-in intercooler kicking in yet on that flame-proof jockstrap? 

The million dollar (or in Activision’s case, billion dollar) quote comes from a special video highlight from GameSpot [via VG24/7], with Sledgehammer’s Michael Condrey talking about their third-person shooter rendition of Call of Duty, saying…

"It was pretty exciting, I mean the idea of the sort of global appeal of Call of Duty meets sort of the third-person genre for the first time. And there are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like Uncharted, right? So you can imagine that genre meets a world-class franchise."

Ouch…ouch. Man, I didn’t know one of the most cinematic, graphically influential games out there wasn’t world class. I guess he means it doesn’t make a billion dollars per outing in a few weeks time? But let’s be honest, not even the games Mario, Sonic or Master Chief are attached to can say the same and is there any video game icon more known around the world right now than Mario, Sonic or Master Chief? Seriously, does that mean the games these icons are attached to aren’t world class, either? 

I suppose maybe it was just a poor choice of words on Condrey’s part because it comes across as a bit of a diss on Naughty Dog’s award-winning action-platformer,Uncharted. I mean, I could literally watch someone play Uncharted 3 from start to finish and still manage to stay on the edge of my seat the entire way through...although, I can't say the same about any first-person shooting game, much less any Call of Duty game. 

Don’t be surprised if that “third-person Call of Duty” will eventually see the light of day as a mid-year release in between the release of Treyarch’s upcoming Call of Duty outing and whatever new DLC the game will have a few months after it hits store shelves. 

And don’t forget to keep that flame-proof jockstrap equipped in the comments section below, the flames still seem to be pretty hot. 

Link: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Call-Duty-Dev-Says-Uncharted-Franchise-Isn-t-Quite-World-Class-34772.html

Around the Network

When insecure about yourself, bash.

Probably a bit of an OTT reaction, even from one of the biggest Uncharted fans

it just doesn't seem like one as the way SONY markets it and places on the market

also the hype building is necessary for a franchise to be called world class atleast in mainstream

as in quality,uncharted definitely is one

snakenobi said:
it just doesn't seem like one as the way SONY markets it and places on the market

also the hype building is necessary for a franchise to be called world class

how does building hype for a game make it world class? I would have thought having outstanding quality, being the best game in it's genre and one of the greatest franchises of all time would be world class no?

Around the Network

well, Uncharted is a great game, it defines what a "Climatic Gaming Experience" should be, it has a rich gameplay that is interesting from start to finish and its compelling to sit a watch like a really good movie.

Call of Duty Single player on the other hand had gone down hill ever since COD4 from a good single player that would define that linear single player with lots of scripted events can be fun to play, but MW2, Black ops they took the scripted events to a new level, playing black ops felt like one big scripted event, a cutscene that had some quick time events.

oh well, i can rant on cod all day but thats not going to to stop people buying it and idiotic publishers releasing knock offs that are crap and no one buys.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

He probably doesn't mean what we think he means, it might just be a misstep. No reason to cause a fuss.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

maverick40 said:
snakenobi said:

also the hype building is necessary for a franchise to be called world class

how does building hype for a game make it world class? I would have thought having outstanding quality, being the best game in it's genre and one of the greatest franchises of all time would be world class no?

quality-wise it doesn't but only the core gamers know that who continuosly follow it

for us it might be world class but it surely doesn't get the attention which is where marketing and hype is required

do you see SONY marketing UC as HALO,GEARS,MGS,COD,FF,GT,GOW,etc.

it is nowhere near that

for example AVATAR was a mediocre movie atleast in story part but great in effects.they spend close to $200m in advertising it.

its grosses didn't just come from its quality but also the way it was put on people's mind and so the hype and word of mounth began.

for me, a world class game, isn't how well it's marketed but how good the actual game is...maybe that's just me. Also, how many awards and 10/10 has Uc2 recieved? Doesn't that bolster your "world class" status or do people prefer big marketing budgets to game quality these days?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Uncharted may not be as big a seller as Call of Duty is, but quality wise. Call of Duty isn't even in the same league as Uncharted.