By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - America's up 20th August.

Seece said:

It's still a day 0_o you can't discount it just to make the situation look better. It was announced on the 16th, so it had a full day on the 17th ...

Sorry... but the situation looks better even price cut was a full week.

40% boost is great for a $50 cut... next week there are more boost.

Don'st try to make the situation look bad :D.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
PS3 is down YoY on Pricecut Week?

That's what you get for cutting with no substantial SW/Advertising, Sony!

Hummmm... 1% is flat... 4 days price cut... I guess next week the boost will be better like 3DS.

ethomaz said:

Seece said:

It's still a day 0_o you can't discount it just to make the situation look better. It was announced on the 16th, so it had a full day on the 17th ...

I'm not. I havn't even given my opinion on the PS3 price cut effect, stop making assumptions, I was just correcting CGI.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

Seece said:

I'd say its good, not great.  If it is sustained then its very good, if it drops away to say 15% to 20% after 2 or 3 weeks its poor, because then it will still be down YOY by quite a bit.

for reference the price cut in 2009 (yes $100) did this:

38k (pre cut)

108k (184% on pre)

167k (340% on pre)

80k (360 managed to sell more again due to ODST)

and then maintained this level and increased going into holidays, so the long term impact was to increase sales by over 100%.

Which would be great for you? Stabilize in 80k after three or four weeks? this won't happen.

PS3 is weak in US compared to 360... 40%  boost in first week is better than I expected.

ethomaz said:
Carl2291 said:

Hummmm... 1% is flat... 4 days price cut... I guess next week the boost will be better like 3DS.

That's why I think a $50 cut for the 360 is unlikely to boost more than a flat YoY for a few weeks and slightly down afeter last year "Kinect Effect".

Around the Network

kowenicki said:

Well it will be hard to see. We do start to track up soon as we near the holidays.

But if it levels off lower YOY then it can hardly be called good can it?

if it stays flat YOY (~65k per week) I can say great... over 50k is good for me even down YOY.

But I expected at least over 80k next week.

I'm just wondering how long MS is going to hold back on a price cut in the US? They also already ate some costs with those free xbox systems with laptop purchase.

I mean, even if they are barely beating Sony but still hold second place they will probably be comfortable with it.

The next XBox is out in two years or less, so I'm not sure how much they care at this point?

It's just that simple.

Dark_Feanor said:
ethomaz said:
Carl2291 said:

That's why I think a $50 cut for the 360 is unlikely to boost more than a flat YoY for a few weeks and slightly down afeter last year "Kinect Effect".

well if MS pirce-cut this year,i think they also need cut Kinect to 99,and cut Kinect-bundle 360 to 199,299

CGI-Quality said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

Well it will be hard to see. We do start to track up soon as we near the holidays.

But if it levels off lower YOY then it can hardly be called good can it?

if it stays flat YOY (~65k per week) I can say great... over 50k is good for me even down YOY.

But I expected at least over 80k next week.

You'll probably end up in arguments till you're blue in the face without more data. My advice is to wait it out a week or two to truly understand what the price cut may/may not have done. I stand by my assessment that this week doesn't tell the full story (as the first week never does for any device - and certainly not the first day), so the next week or two should play out a little different. If they don't, however, the situation in the Americas won't look good for PS3.

I agree... but Americas never looked good for PS3... I expect more effect in EMEAA :D.

MonstaMack said:
I'm just wondering how long MS is going to hold back on a price cut in the US? They also already ate some costs with those free xbox systems with laptop purchase.

I mean, even if they are barely beating Sony but still hold second place they will probably be comfortable with it.

The next XBox is out in two years or less, so I'm not sure how much they care at this point?

While I could see the scenario where MS does not cut the price and in some senses it would make sense, I also see where it would make sense to cut the price. I think they could go either way with this depending on how sales, market share, and profits figures play out. It is my opinion though that they will cut the price soon.

To the second and third parts, which are in bold. You probably didn't mean it in a way that "MS dosn't care at all about sales of their X360", but its just the way it sounded. I think they do care if they are behind their competitors in any significance in sales. If they are tied or in 2nd in the Americas consistantly especially I think they would make a change in something, which I believe would be a price cut. From day 1 I think MS strategy with the X360 is market share, even this late in the gen, because Xbox Live is going to carry over to their next console, and they want the most amount of users as possible.

So I think they care deeply even at this point where they stand with their current console. I know this late in the game much focus is on profits, but I think for the fact of Xbox Live carrying over to their next console their goal is still largely, market share, and staying ahead.