By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does everyone hate FF8?

Cause Triple Traid was better then the rest of the game and just to annoy Wagram..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

1 of the things i love about final fantasy games is getting to new town's and seeing what new weapons and stuff you can buy

in ff8 you had to like find parts to get a new weapon

i thought that was so stupid

i also thought drawing magic was stupid(no mp)

i didn't like the junction system for some reason

you dont get any experience when you fight a boss and the ranking money system was just stupid to me

i can get to disc 2 but i always stop for some reason sooner or later just like Legend of Dragoon

i love legend of dragoon but i WILL NEVER be able to beat that game because it get's WAAAAAAAAAAY to boring around disc 3

it's almost as if i have to force myself to play it when i get to disc 3 on LOD but i digress

VIII was awesome, some people are just nitpicking on everything. FF8 may have been the "worst" FF of it's gen, but I would rather say it's a 9/10 while VII and IX are 10/10.
So, VIII was wonderful, just not as good as the other two.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Carl2291 said:
Because it was the worst Final Fantasy of its generation.

I thought you were an electrician, not a stand-up comedian? With that, you should definetely go for the latter! ;)

I haven't heard of much hate for the game and recently got a good friend to start playing it. He always comes to me for advice - I finished it 3 times.

It's, IMO, easily the best FF of its generation. In all aspects but ARGUABLY story+characters (its own aren't good - but perhaps brilliant if you read a certain theory) and ARGUABLY music (FF IX's OST is the best one among all FF's) , it exceeds and supercedes the competition.

Squalls' douchbaggery and suckage can also be attributed to the localization - if you believe the internet, then Squall in the Japanese original version of the game is far. far, different. I'm gonna get the Japanese version eventually and see for myself. Because I fucking love FF VIII ;)

I liked it, not as much as VII but it was still a great game and one my favourite Final Fantasy's.

Positives:

- The junction system was fun and a creative way to level up.
- The overall story was very good.
- Eyes on Me.
- Squall and Rinoa's romance.
- Great music.
- Epic FMV's.
- Some scenes were very emotional.
- Good characters.
- Good world design.

Negatives:

- Squall's personality felt forced and his dialogue was pretty poor at times.
- Squall and Rinoa's romance also felt forced.
- The game went downhill after the 1st disc.
- The story fell flat on its face at times.
- The game put you in places for unexplained reasons, I often wondered "why am I here?".
- The magic system felt broken, especially with the fact you had to stock it.
- Side-quests were tucked away.
- I didn't feel so compelled to explore.
- The game followed FFVII.
- The item system felt broken.
- The monster system also felt broken.
- Fluctuating difficulty, it was mostly too easy.
- The battle system felt broken, especially in the first half of the game using GF's.
- The whole game felt unpolished.

Around the Network

was my favorite final fantasy after final fantasy x

This is the one question I ask myself yearly. Final Fantasy VIII is my second most favouritest game ever, that said I came to the conclusion that people can't figure out the game's stat system and strategy that's based off it, nor can they understand/appreciate the story. If you can't relate to Squall then the story will be horrible. If you can't understand the junction system, you're just gonna be running through some very long summons. Some common complaints:

"Junction system sucks".
The irony of that is people will complain that Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 are dumbed down because they don't let you change each individual stat, yet here Final Fantasy 8 comes along letting you change every stat (albeit after leveling up your GF) and it gets slammed for it. Your elemental defense you can set, your elemental attack you can set, your HP you can set, your luck you can set, you can junction HP+80%, Str +20%, etc. The flaw though is all of this has to be done through leveling up your GFs, learning their refine abilities and refining the str+60% and the vit + 60%s etc and you have to grab all your magics and refine them higher, which brings us to the next complaint.

"Drawing Magic sucks"
Yes I agree, though I do enjoy drawing personally (but I understand the pain in the ass it can be),so refine your cards and the items you grab from enemies. Go kill some Fastitocalons and you'll get 100 waters for everyone, within 20 minutes of the game. Go play some cards you'll have 100 Blizzagas to junction in no time. Or refine your fire to firas. Junction Quetzacotl to Quistis and junction those 100 waters to her magic and have her draw practically alone and she'll draw the cap of 9 a draw and move magic to other people.

The last complaint I'm gonna touch on about in regards to the game's stat system (Cause I have to go to work now) is its enemy system.

"Enemies level up with you"
Yes they do, that's a good thing. Level is meaningless when you can manipulate your stats. Low level, high stats is the game's strategy and makes you horribly broken. And should you decide to level up, use those HP+ and Str+, you'll have disgusting stats by the time you hit 100.

Final Fantasy VIII's system is very complex, but it's probably the best in the series (Not combat though, that goes to X, but that's an argument for another day) because of its level of customization. Can it be better? Yes there's a lot of things that can be improved, but as is; it's still top notch.

i like ff8, the only thing i hate was the juntion system............. oh and squall.

darkknightkryta said:

If you can't relate to Squall then the story will be horrible.

I can relate to Squall, don't see the hate for him, he gets better and changed throughout the game too.

For me, FF8 is one of the best FF I've played, if not the best one. I find their system like junction is a lot better than materia in FF7.