By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does everyone hate FF8?

Its (FF8 is) my favourite pre the newest (FF12 & 13) and the game that really made me start loving FF

FF6 was my first and was solidly enjoyable (Go Terra!), FF7 almost turned me away with its gung ho genetically enhanced genericness and boring love triangle. but FF8 hooked me, Amazing character drama and made movies look lame and even gave the classic romance novels a run for their money.

Never thought I would find such a thing in a video game, it really opened my eyes.

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

Around the Network

I don't know, I loved it just like I loved FF6,FF7;FF8,FF9,FF10

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Acevil said:
Carl2291 said:
Ali-Kharazi said:
Carl2291 said:
Because it was the worst Final Fantasy of its generation.

Okay, but what exactly did everyone hate about it?

@Xxain

Final Fantasy IX is widely regarded as the best Final Fantasy on the PlayStation. That wasn't FF7-2 neither.

Highest rated for good reason, and this is back when the rating system wasn't broken. 

true but FF9 took more heat FF8 did! remember it was a throwback to old school FF... which the new gen FF players didnt like. All the FF fans that started with 7 were generally disappointed that FF8&9 were not more like FF7 thats what i meant.... hell iirc FF9 sold less that 7&8 which Sakaguchi got a scolding for

I liked it...a lot....more then I liked Final Fantasy IX...which I also liked a lot.

That said, there were not many RPG's on the PS1 that I didn't enjoy.

FF8 is my least favorite for these reasons:

- Junctioning
- Leveling system (monsters leveling up with you)
- Gil System (salary based on rank was stupid, IMO).
- Squall's Attitude

When FF9 came out, I was so happy again with the series until FF 10 came out - which is when I think features were slowly being cut out of the games starting with the flyable airship.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite Final Fantasy and is also my favorite game of all time.

Hate is a strong word, but it one of my least favorites. Junction system sucks, it just does. Squall is lame, not that i thought Cloud was the ish. But Squall took his emo brooding to another level. His gunblade is badass though, and it least he is the man in Dissidia and KHs, so he was somewhat redeemed in my eyes. Couldnt stand Laguna and his pals. The story started off badass especially at the end of disc 1 when Squall tried to drive his Rolls Royce into the Queen, but got served, but by disc 3 i lost interest. Getting money on rank sucks. And monsters leveling up with you sucks. Its still a hell of alot better than 13

1. Rinoa.
2. The story sucked when it got to the third disc. I still can't figure out why they went into space.
3. Drawing magic.
4. Rinoa.
5. Junction system.

FinalEvangelion said:
FF8 is my least favorite for these reasons:

- Junctioning
- Leveling system (monsters leveling up with you)
- Gil System (salary based on rank was stupid, IMO).
- Squall's Attitude

When FF9 came out, I was so happy again with the series until FF 10 came out - which is when I think features were slowly being cut out of the games starting with the flyable airship.

It's like you're in my head.......

I'd also add having to draw magic. Fuck. That.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

I never played Final Fantasy 9. I played 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10.

Simple answer: Final Fantasy 8 is not Final Fantasy 7 nor Final Fantasy 9 therefore it sucks.

Convoluted answer: Squall Leonhart needs to get the hell over himself, man up, shut up, nut up and eff some stuff the hell up.